Losing muscle mass not fat

Options
So I have been seeing a doctor for 12 weeks now for weight loss. Today marked the 12th week and I am down a total of 49 lbs. I get a body comp analysis every two weeks when I visit. Today showed i was down 13 lbs since my last visit which was great but BCA show that I lost 9 lbs in water weight, a little of 3 lbs in muscle mass, and 1 lb in fat.

I am doing 1400 calories a day on a high protein consumption. I do 45-60 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes weights 6 days a week.

Why am I losing muscle mass? Only difference in past 2-3 weeks is I set a goal to burn 500 calories on elliptical/treadmill every session then go do weights. Could I not be eating enough now? 1400 calories was what I have done since teh beginning when i did no exercise. Could I be going into starvation mode?

Replies

• Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If this is being measured on the digital scale analyzer, there is a significant variation based on hydration and time of day.
    If it was calipers, that can vary by simply not hitting the exact spot as before.
    To my knowledge, the only test to be less finicky is water submersion.
    Even the new body pod can be off due to hydration. :/
    I would continue to work out and lift. It does sound like your calories may be too low, but the trend I would watch at this time is weight loss. The increased/ new cardio can add water retention as yr body adjusts, and throw off tests too.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So I have been seeing a doctor for 12 weeks now for weight loss. Today marked the 12th week and I am down a total of 49 lbs. I get a body comp analysis every two weeks when I visit. Today showed i was down 13 lbs since my last visit which was great but BCA show that I lost 9 lbs in water weight, a little of 3 lbs in muscle mass, and 1 lb in fat.

Woah, hold on there. Your hydration levels are all over place, and that has a *huge* impact on results from typical BCA machines.

I would be very very careful about jumping to conclusions with these numbers....
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I am doing 1400 calories a day on a high protein consumption. I do 45-60 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes weights 6 days a week.

Why am I losing muscle mass? Only difference in past 2-3 weeks is I set a goal to burn 500 calories on elliptical/treadmill every session then go do weights. Could I not be eating enough now? 1400 calories was what I have done since teh beginning when i did no exercise. Could I be going into starvation mode?

Are you netting 1400 or just taking in 1400? Either way, 1400 sounds way too low. No you're not in starvation mode, you're losing muscle mass because your caloric deficit is too big.

You may not be lifting enough to fight off muscle mass loss either.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Why am I losing muscle mass?

because it's the easiest thing for your body to burn
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My money says you're just seeing the results of imprecise readings from BCA test and you didn't actually lose that much muscle.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Agree with what everyone else has said regarding composition measurements and hydration.

A few other points:

You give us no other information about yourself. You ask if 1400 calories seems low, but we have no point of reference. Do you weigh 135? 235? 335? That kinda matters.

If you are seeing a doctor for weight loss, then weight loss is the goal and don't sweat where it comes from right now. You can always build muscle later.

"Weight lifting" is a term so broad that it is meaningless. If you're looking to retain muscle mass while losing weight then you need an approach / intensity that is going to accomplish this. Doing the old "3 sets of 10" isn't going to help you much. I've been cutting weight now for four months and it can be a real struggle. You scratch and claw to hold onto every speck of muscle / strength that you had before. If you could give us some idea what "go do weights" means then someone might be able to offer some specific pointers.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Most likely didn't lose that much muscle, but to minimize muscle loss you want to have a small deficit. at 1400 cals and burning 500 you are only netting 900 which makes your deficit much too large, eat the burned calories back, or at least most of them. And as a man I would suggest that 1400 is too low Net anyway. If you are set to 2lbs/week, change it to 1.5 lbs/week weight loss this will give you an extra 250/day, plus eat back most of what you burn from exercise. this would put you in the 2100-2200 calories/day when you exercise, and 1650 on days you don't, much more reasonable.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Most likely didn't lose that much muscle, but to minimize muscle loss you want to have a small deficit. at 1400 cals and burning 500 you are only netting 900 which makes your deficit much too large, eat the burned calories back, or at least most of them. And as a man I would suggest that 1400 is too low Net anyway. If you are set to 2lbs/week, change it to 1.5 lbs/week weight loss this will give you an extra 250/day, plus eat back most of what you burn from exercise. this would put you in the 2100-2200 calories/day when you exercise, and 1650 on days you don't, much more reasonable.

While I agree with that I am really reluctant to suggest calorie changes without more info. If OP is seeing a doctor specifically for weight loss then my guess the calorie goal is coming from the MD. Also, more often than not if someone is seeing an MD specifically for weight loss it has something to do with other conditions. Conditions we know nothing about. Hell, we don't even know if OP is male or female, current weight, height... anything. I wouldn't be comfortable throwing out random numbers.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If you do weights that often and can do 500 calories of cardio beforehand, I wonder if you are lifting as well as you could. I don't know how long it takes you to burn 500 calories, though, and we don't know whether you are doing a split or what.

1400 sounds low to me in general while lifting, though, too. It does sound like the lifting part (including diet) of your plan might need a look, imho.
  • Hozman121
    Hozman121 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the vague of information. I am male 40 y/o. Current weight is 279. 1400 Calories was placed by MD. No other health issues other than weight. I am not diabetic, no hypertension, high Cholesterol, ect.

Typical day at gym is 30-40 minutes on elliptical following the couch to 5k routine. That usually nets me close to 400 calories. Then I either continue to a total of 500 or I will go lift. Lifting I will usually pick specific body area such as arms and do a bi/tri work out. Usually 3 sets of 12-15. Work out takes me 30-40 minutes.

Once done i get back on elliptical and try to do another 20-30 minutes at a slower pace than original but still burning high 200-low 300 calories.

Diet is simple. replacement meal shake fro breakfast and lunch. Sometimes a protein snack mid day and then protein for dinner which does include some sort of complex carb (sweet tator, squash)
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    1400 is far too low, either total or net, for your weight. When it's too radical you lose a larger proportion of lean body mass than fat. If your doctor isn't a trained dietician I'd recommend seeing one to get a more appropriate calorie goal. Or calculate on iifym.com. 1400 is extremely low for male OR female at 279 lbs.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    1.) Listen to your doctor, not random people on a message board.
    2.) If it were me personally I wouldn't worry about body composition until you closer to a healthy weight.
    3.) Listen to your doctor, not random people on a message board.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Why are you losing muscle? You lost 50 pounds in 12 weeks. If you keep up the rate of weight loss, you will also start losing bone mass and other tissue. If you want to lose weight without losing muscle, I suggest doing everything you're doing right now except eat 1000 more calories per day.

By the way, congratulations! You're doing awesome. You should be really proud of yourself. Keep it up. Just eat more, ok? You'll lose less muscle along the way.

When I lost most of my weight, I went from about 50% body fat at 240 lbs. to 140 lbs with about 35% body fat (I'm female). Which means I lost about 70 pounds of fat and 30 pounds of muscle and bone. I've been working to gain muscle and bone density ever since. My results are not atypical for people losing weight. But you can do better than me. Eat more, lose the weight slower. Keep up the weight training.

EDIT TO ADD: what I'm saying is, don't do what I did. What I did was dumb. Sure I lost the weight, but at what cost? Be smarter than I was. Eat more. -- and really, you're doing awesome.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    2.) If it were me personally I wouldn't worry about body composition until you closer to a healthy weight.

THIS. Only this. If your doc wants to measure your body fat, he can also order a dexa scan. Though I might hesitate to do that as well, given the radiation. Listen to your doctor.
  • Hozman121
    Hozman121 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Been using app fro a while but never directly on the web site.

Certainly staying with doctor. She even stated today to eat more by having good protein snacks mid morning and day. Then reevaluate in 2 weeks when I see her again.

My goal is to add couple hundred calories with the snacks and continue everything else the same. Change to many things then will have to many variables to decide what the problem is if it continues.

Also blood work showed my testosterone was very low for a guy and got testosterone pellets today which should help with muscle mass as well.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    From your two posts; you no medical condition except your weight. You've indicated you eat 1,400 calories a day high in protein, and burn on average of 400-500 calories working out 6 days a week. If your physician recommended the diet, did they also recommend or know you are working out like this? You are netting roughly 7,000 calories.....a week. A second opinion would be my suggestion. Losing an average of 4 pounds per week may or may not be optimal, but if just want the weight off does the muscle loss matter? Honestly, if you just to drop weight it sounds successful in the short term. But a second opinion may provide a better long term plan.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If that is your meal plan then I assume you are not eating back exercise calories. Because you would need to be eating over 2000 and I don't know what shakes you are on but I bet under 300 cals each leaves about 1500 for dinner and unless dinner isf a whole chocolate cake with ice cream that is not happening. Your 1400 Calories is net. That means what you eat on a regular day without any exercise. If you really want to be a long distance runner then go the cardio and eat back the calories. Otherwise cut it down and relax a bit all you need to do to lose weight is burn more than you eat, but safely, making a bigger deficit by eating less than advised or burning off too much is dangerous for your health long term. Have you explained to your doctor just how much you are exercising?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

Forgot rule number 4:

4.) If you are going to be a doomass and take advice from strangers on the internet over your doctor, at the very least never take the advice of those who have animals as their profile pic.....unless it actually is your doctor, in which case you should just give up all hope, roll into the fetal position, and start screaming sweet Jesus at the top of your lungs.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    You only mentioned bi/trip in your arms workout. You are hitting the large muscle groups as well, right? Pecs, lats, quads, hamstrings, glutes?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the vague of information. I am male 40 y/o. Current weight is 279. 1400 Calories was placed by MD. No other health issues other than weight. I am not diabetic, no hypertension, high Cholesterol, ect.

Typical day at gym is 30-40 minutes on elliptical following the couch to 5k routine. That usually nets me close to 400 calories. Then I either continue to a total of 500 or I will go lift. Lifting I will usually pick specific body area such as arms and do a bi/tri work out. Usually 3 sets of 12-15. Work out takes me 30-40 minutes.

Once done i get back on elliptical and try to do another 20-30 minutes at a slower pace than original but still burning high 200-low 300 calories.

Diet is simple. replacement meal shake fro breakfast and lunch. Sometimes a protein snack mid day and then protein for dinner which does include some sort of complex carb (sweet tator, squash)

why are you not eating real food?
    I would consider looking into a heavy lifting program centered around compound movements - deadlift, squat, bench press, pull up/chin up, etc. Starting strength and new rules for lifting are good resources...you could lift M W F and then do cardio on Tues/Thurs....Monday - Chest/Arms; Wens - Legs; Friday - back and shoulders