I am so confused

Options
I have been reading about the iifym method and it's very intriguing... it has me eating 2024 calories a day... when I plug the same data in mfp it has me eating 1400 calories a day. Why such a difference in the numbers.

I am sure this has been talked about already on the forums, but I can't find it.

I need/want to get the weight off, but want to do it the right way and the best way to make it a lifestyle change.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Replies

• Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Please specify your question. ;)

I assume you're asking which number of calories is "right". The short answer is: eat as many calories as possible while still dropping weight. If you're able to drop .5-1lb a week while eating over 2k calories, DO THAT. Why would you over-restrict yourself?
  • bechendrix7
    Options
    I am not understanding why such a difference in the 2 numbers

I want to do it right this time... from years of abusing my body, I have jacked up my metabolism (fad diets and not eating)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    First, I want to clarify that IIFYM isn't really about a calorie goal but rather a way of eating to include treats while making sure you're getting enough macro and micronutrients in your diet. IIFYM can be practiced with MFP's calorie level just as it can be practiced with the calorie level they recommend. I believe iifym.com uses the TDEE - 20% method, right? Is that where you're getting your numbers?

They're two different systems calculating your goal in two different ways.

MFP does not take your exercise into account and will add more calories to your goal as you log your exercise and earn them. The TDEE method takes your exercise into account from the beginning, so you don't add any extra calories after exercise. Once you log your exercise into MFP it should bring the numbers closer together.

Also, MFP takes a flat number of calories from your estimated maintenance calories depending on what you tell it you want to lose. 500 calories for 1 pound/week, 1000 for 2 pounds/week, etc. It doesn't worry about whether or not this is a reasonable goal. Most of the TDEE methods, on the other hand, will subtract a percentage of your TDEE to figure your goal (usually about 20%), instead of a flat number. It tends to keep your calorie goal a little higher but it keeps you from setting a goal that's too aggressive for your body.

Usually, setting both MFP and a TDEE calculator up accurately and with the same goals will produce similar numbers once you log your exercise on MFP. Without seeing your exact settings on both sites it's tough to say what exactly is causing the disparity.
  • bechendrix7
    Options
    It does use the tdee method...On both sites I put no exercise/desk job... I have around 80 lbs to lose so on MFP, right now I have it set on 2lbs a week... on the ifym I went with the 20%. Don't know if that helps any.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is a method of eating where one focuses on hitting minimum macro values and staying under a calorie goal. The term "if it fits in your macros" I believe came from bodybuilding.com but it's not exclusively used by bodybuilders.

http://iifym.com/ is a website. Not everyone who eats using the IIFYM method goes by that website (in fact I've never been there before).

To calculate my macros I use a couple of simple equations:

Protein: 0.8 g * bodyweight *(1- body fat percentage).
    Fat: 0.3 g * body weight

I then just get my calorie goals based on what has worked for weight loss in the past.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about the iifym method and it's very intriguing... it has me eating 2024 calories a day...

What numbers are you using to get that? Based on the minimal information you've provided (80 pounds to lose on a average women puts you at ~50% body fat), the numbers I get for you are...

BMR -> ~1400
    TDEE -> ~1900 (assuming 3x a week workouts)

500 cal/day deficit puts your eating right at 1400 calories/day.

EDIT: With your height, add ~200 calories to the above numbers.
  • bechendrix7
    Options
    My sex, age, height, weight and no exercise, then I pick aggressive 20% fat loss and thats the number it gives.

I am 35
    height- 5 10"
    weight - 253

I was using iifym.com
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    My sex, age, height, weight and no exercise, then I pick aggressive 20% fat loss and thats the number it gives.

I am 35
    height- 5 10"
    weight - 253

I was using iifym.com

Playing with the site, it looks like the big difference is in the goal you set here on MFP. IIFYM.com calculates your TDEE to be around 2500, right? A 20% cut from that gives you a goal just over 2000 calories, with a 500 calorie deficit. With this plan you'd lose approximately 1 pound per week. Since you set MFP to lose 2 pounds/week it's taking 1000 calories from your calculated TDEE, which would be around the 1400 you mentioned earlier.

Again, two different methods, but they're both just estimates. Pick one and try it for a while, adjusting as necessary. I tend to go as high as possible to still lose and then adjust downward, but it's going to be up to you and your goals to decide which one to follow.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I started at about your weight, though I'm a little shorter.

Do you want to eat the same amount of calories every day? Or do you want to eat more calories on the days you go to the gym? Some people have the personality where it's good to just eat the same every day no matter what, so it becomes a habit. Some people like to use going to the gym as a reason to "splurge" on a bigger dinner or tasty smoothie afterwards.

In any event, you should probably average about 1900-2000 calories per day for now. Whether that's 2200 M/W/F and 1800 T/Th/Sat/Sun, or just simply 2000 every day no matter what. In six months or so, you might reexamine how much you're losing and lower it some.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You have me on that site now and I am also confused. Here are the two guidelines:

IIFYM (20%):
    GRAMS per day
    Carbs: 97.6
    Protein: 133
    Fat: 53.2
    Fiber: 27 - 33
    Calories: 1401

MFP:
    Carbs / Day: 150.0 g
    Protein / Day: 60.0 g
    Fat / Day: 40.0 g
    Net Calories: 1,200

I guess where I'm most confused is that the IIFYM says I should be eating more than twice the amount of protein each day and lowering carbs. MFP calculates for .8 lbs lost per week.

As I understand, I need to make sure I meet all of the carbs, fat and fiber requirements. Is that correct?
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    You have me on that site now and I am also confused. Here are the two guidelines:

IIFYM (20%):
    GRAMS per day
    Carbs: 97.6
    Protein: 133
    Fat: 53.2
    Fiber: 27 - 33
    Calories: 1401

MFP:
    Carbs / Day: 150.0 g
    Protein / Day: 60.0 g
    Fat / Day: 40.0 g
    Net Calories: 1,200

I guess where I'm most confused is that the IIFYM says I should be eating more than twice the amount of protein each day and lowering carbs. MFP calculates for .8 lbs lost per week.

As I understand, I need to make sure I meet all of the carbs, fat and fiber requirements. Is that correct?

MFP sets their protein default to about 15%, as I recall. That's a recommended minimum for average people, and a lot of us think their default should be higher. When you're losing weight, the numbers need to be a little different because protein helps to repair and preserve your muscle mass, which your body would break down for energy if you let it.

All of your macro goals are going to depend a little on your goals, your routine, and any health issues you may have. IIFYM's numbers seem like a better fit for you, to me, but you can research the numbers yourself if you're interested in tweaking them.

The basic premise of IIFYM is hitting your macros (fats/protein/carbs). It's in the name, after all (if it fits your macros). A lot of us who follow IIFYM tend to think of our protein and fat goals as minimums to reach (and go over if possible) and fill in the rest of our calories with carbs as appropriate. You can choose which macros are more important to you, of course.
  • Zx14chick
    Options
    Thank you for responding to my questions, Dianne. I guess the part that worries me is that if I'm not hitting those, what will the results be? I certainly don't want to try something and then start gaining weight!
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is a method of eating where one focuses on hitting minimum macro values and staying under a calorie goal. The term "if it fits in your macros" I believe came from bodybuilding.com but it's not exclusively used by bodybuilders.

http://iifym.com/ is a website. Not everyone who eats using the IIFYM method goes by that website (in fact I've never been there before).

To calculate my macros I use a couple of simple equations:

Protein: 0.8 g * bodyweight *(1- body fat percentage).
    Fat: 0.3 g * body weight

I then just get my calorie goals based on what has worked for weight loss in the past.

^^ good advice. Also read Jillian Michael's book Master Your Metabolism.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It does use the tdee method...On both sites I put no exercise/desk job... I have around 80 lbs to lose so on MFP, right now I have it set on 2lbs a week... on the ifym I went with the 20%. Don't know if that helps any.

When you enter your exercise into MFP, it's just a goal setting tool, they don't account for calories burned until you actually log the activity into your exercise diary then you have to plan to eat back at least half of the earned calories. MFP only goes by your normal daily activity (sedentary, active, etc) minus the deficit based on how many pounds per week you want to lose.

When you use TDEE, both you normal daily activities and your execise activity is added in right up front. Usually if the deficits are pretty close, there won't be much of a difference.

Exmple. My TDEE - 20% is 1877.
    I do a custom set goal here but MFP would probably give me around 1560 calories per day with a 1/2 pound per week goal (1513 BMR x 1.2 factor for sedentary minus 250 cal per day) and my average calories burned per day is about 285 so that's about 1850 calories per day.
    That's only a difference of 27 calories
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding to my questions, Dianne. I guess the part that worries me is that if I'm not hitting those, what will the results be? I certainly don't want to try something and then start gaining weight!

You need to figure out your basic macros based on your body before you even think about how that translates into food intake. I'm going to focus on protein for this discussion but can give more info if you want.

Protein = The RDA (recommended daily allowance) of protein intake for sedentary adults, 0.8 g/kg (1)(2), is grossly inadequate. Clinical trials show muscle loss with this RDA. You must increase muscle (ie. lean body mass) if you want to burn fat. Expert Michael Colgan and other experts recommend higher amounts. (3)
    Your BMI isn't the only thing to look at. You need to make sure you are raising your BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate (metabolism) and that is done with exercise.

To calculate your % of lean body mass you take your current weight and multiply that by your percentage of lean body mass.
    For example if you weight 200 pounds and your BF is 40% then you are 60% lean. so 200 x 0.6 = 120 lb. Convert that to kg = 54.4 kg

1. http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=1324
    2. http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=1325
    3. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.htm
  • Zx14chick
    Options
    I was just looking at the IIFYM.com site again and noticed that they suggest you eat your weight in protein. How is anyone actually eating THAT MUCH protein!?
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at the IIFYM.com site again and noticed that they suggest you eat your weight in protein. How is anyone actually eating THAT MUCH protein!?

Eat your weight in GRAMS of protein. Ex: I'm 145, I eat approximately 140-150 grams of protein a day. I also lift heavy, so ymmv.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A properly set MFP + exercise calories goal should be somewhere in the same ballpark as a properly set TDEE - % goal.

MFP does not including exercise in it's calculation, this is one of the main differences. When you exercise, you add more calories.

MFP takes a flat rate of calories deduction based on how many pounds per week you say you want to lose. If you chose 2 pounds per week, it is deducting 1,000 calories per day from what it calculates you need for daily living (not including exercise).
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

The typical recommendation is that you eat your Lean Body Mass weight in protein. If you weigh 150 and have 25% body fat, then your Lean Body Mass would be about 112 pounds, you would eat 112 grams of protein. Or another way I have seen people do it is eat .8 grams for every pound of body weight, which would work out to 120 grams.

Eating a whole gram for every pound would be for people with advanced fitness goals, body builders, fitness models, etc.
  • Zx14chick
    Options

Eat your weight in GRAMS of protein. Ex: I'm 145, I eat approximately 140-150 grams of protein a day. I also lift heavy, so ymmv.

Haha, I realize now that I didn't specify grams. That is still a lot of grams of protein. I'll do my best!