Best way to build muscle after losing weight

Options
Hello! I only wanted to lose about 20lbs and I have about 13 more to go until I am at my GW. I did Insanity for 2 months but because I went from the couch to insanity it shed more lbs than it built muscle. I am now at the gym. I do 20/30 minutes of elliptical fat burning and then I usually hit the weights for another 30. I do free weights & machines. I've been an athlete most of my life, so I'm not afraid to lift weights, but I just want to know some of the best ways to build muscle and lose BF.

Any ideas? I go to a standard gym. Just want to get myself in some kind of routine. Do you work legs one day and arms the next?

Any advice will help. Thanks :-D

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hello! I only wanted to lose about 20lbs and I have about 13 more to go until I am at my GW. I did Insanity for 2 months but because I went from the couch to insanity it shed more lbs than it built muscle. I am now at the gym. I do 20/30 minutes of elliptical fat burning and then I usually hit the weights for another 30. I do free weights & machines. I've been an athlete most of my life, so I'm not afraid to lift weights, but I just want to know some of the best ways to build muscle and lose BF.

Any ideas? I go to a standard gym. Just want to get myself in some kind of routine. Do you work legs one day and arms the next?

Any advice will help. Thanks :-D

You're not going to build appreciable muscle and lose BF at the same time. You could have some noob gains in the first couple weeks, but normally building requires a caloric surplus while losing BF requires a caloric deficit.

If you're still 13lbs from your goal weight now I'd recommend keeping a mild deficit, and get into a lifting program New Rules, 5x5, etc.. to maintain muscle mass as you drop BF%. One reason being is it is so hard for most women to put muscle mass on, it is much more efficient to start lifting early to maintain mass rather than trying to build it later.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I hear that the elliptical machine is awesome for building leg muscles. It'll bulk the legs up quick.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I hear that the elliptical machine is awesome for building leg muscles. It'll bulk the legs up quick.

¿que?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You gain muscle (and fat) by eating more than you burn and stressing muscles. You lose fat (and muscle) by eating less than you burn. The best way to build muscle after losing weight is to eat more and lift heavy things.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You gain muscle (and fat) by eating more than you burn and stressing muscles. You lose fat (and muscle) by eating less than you burn. The best way to build muscle after losing weight is to eat more and lift heavy things.

Thanks! So I guess I will get the last 13 or so lbs off me and increase my calories and start lifting primarily.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Starting strength
    Strong lifts
    New Rules of Lifting
    Strong curves

You aren't going to gain size on a deficit/losing weight- but you can get stronger- so go forth and be fabulous- do all the weight training. You'll be fine. Strength gains do not equal size gains.

I feel like someone may have peeed in waldo's wheeaties today- that was the second snappy post I've read LOL

I still chuckled.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Thanks! So I guess I will get the last 13 or so lbs off me and increase my calories and start lifting primarily.

Start lifting now. Make your calorie deficit minimal, no more than .5 lb a week loss.

Go very slowly and keep the lean mass that you have.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

No. I stated in my 1st reply why this could be detrimental to your goals.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Start lifting now. Make your calorie deficit minimal, no more than .5 lb a week loss.

Go very slowly and keep the lean mass that you have.

^^ This. Lifting heavy now will minimize muscle loss assuming you are at a reasonable deficit. Don't wait to start lifting.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks. Any things in particular I should be lifting? I usually do dumbbells and some of the weight lifting machines.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I did New Rules of Lifting for Women at home with dumbbells. All Pro beginners routine can be done with dumbbells (there's no additional machine work, but you'll need fractionals). Do you not want to use barbells? There's also StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength, and Simplyshredded's ultimate female training guide, for example, although you don't have to do something specifically for women. The trainer at my gym wrote up a 3 day split for me based on what I was doing previously, maybe you have that option?
  • happyrelation
    Options
    Young adults are already in a category that lose weight a lot faster than say someone who is 45.
    I am 40 and found P90X and Insanity worked well..very well. Bill Phillips Body for Life worked very well years ago.
    And I wanted something that was easier on my body, didn't take as much time, and I didn't have to think about what my next meal was going to be.
    I researched and found two that my full criteria. I know there are more out there...
    First I found one that is great for men and women at http://buildthemuscle.net.
    And the one I decided to do because it has a great support system of women doing the program and finished the program, just for women, and simply laid out and guaranteed and I found it at http://inshapenow.net.
    I'm losing on average 1 1/2 pounds a week.
    I think one of the keys to success is setting yourself up for success. Find a plan that is realistic to your lifestyle so you aren't cheating or angry at yourself for missing a workout or a meal.

To your lifestyle change!