Medicated dieters

Hello people,

Help! I'm on several medications that have very good benefits for what ails me but also cause weight gain aaaaaahhhhhh! Anyone out there know if there is hope for me on these meds to still shake off the pounds. I have been speed walking three times a week, watching what I eat and notta, nothing, not a pound. Drinking my eight glasses of water a day. If anything I've gained weight. Very discouraged.

Replies

• Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Hello people,

Help! I'm on several medications that have very good benefits for what ails me but also cause weight gain aaaaaahhhhhh! Anyone out there know if there is hope for me on these meds to still shake off the pounds. I have been speed walking three times a week, watching what I eat and notta, nothing, not a pound. Drinking my eight glasses of water a day. If anything I've gained weight. Very discouraged.
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    have you asked your doctor if he can put you on an alternative medication that won't cause you to gain weight?
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    How long have you been working out?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    Cloe,

Log every bite - don't try to "guess" how much you have eaten. I have a small journal in my purse to write down what I eat when I'm away from my computer.

You just started in the last week or so. Give your body time to figure out what's going on. Make sure you are eating enough. Your 1200 calories (or whatever you chose) daily, PLUS the extra calories you are given when you exercise.

Exercise long enough to raise your heart rate to 85% - 100% of your recommended heart rate for aerobic activity. You should be keeping your heart rate there for 10-15 minutes at first, work up to keeping your heart rate up for 30 minutes daily. BTW, It takes about 10 minutes at a very brisk pace to reach this level.

cm
  • Cloe
    I'm unable to do extreme exercise because I was injured in a car accident and have permanent neck and back injuries. I also before that suffered a massive heart attack at a young age. So not to get sympathy but just to point out my exercising is very limited. : (
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Wow - I don't have any real tips for you expect that I am wondering you have seen a physical therapist who could help you determine a low-impact routine?

Cutest darn dog, but the way. Thank goodness for dogs!
  • Cloe
    I've started a walking club and we have been operating for 2 years now.

In response to seeing a physiotherapist, been there, done that. Have several exercises from them which I also do. ugh!

And thanks for the compliment on cute dog, she is a cutie but she is also a handful. Has a lot of character. LOL.

Thanks for the response people it really helps to have found this website and talk to others.
  • alice
    alice Posts: 25 Member
    Hi Cloe
    Hang in there - If it helps, I've been going up and down (and all around) too!
    I will always be there for support - Count me in
    alice
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    so, Alice, can you give your pal Cloe that "one pill that makes you smaller?" (or was that Jefferson Airplane's version) --The whatever (mushroom?) that makes you smaller.

~cm