l7ving a lie

Options
I will admit it. I am struggling badly. Circumstantial depression is holding me in a vice like grip. I havent left my bedroom for days (food & washing excepted). I am soooooo depressed right now. Help? :cry:

Replies

• wonkosane
    wonkosane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Success breeds success, the same way hiding from problems creates more problems to hide from.

Take a walk. Start anything.

Take out the trash.

And get the ball rolling again.

(If your employer or school has counseling or an employee assistance program available, talking through moments like these can really help)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    See a pro, be it a hooker, or a head shrinker.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    First I am sorry you are struggling with depression. Have you seen anyone for it and are you on any medication to help control it? Is it possible it is the winter blues getting to you? If it is just the blues maybe a 5 min tanning session will help. Also check with your Dr and find out if you have any vitamin deficiency.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    When I'm in one of those moods where I just want to be left alone to work things out in my head, I honestly find comfort in a bar-bell. Hit the gym, plug in some tunes and throw around some weight. If that's not really your thing, take a walk and clear your head that way. Locking yourself away in your room is just a good way to drive yourself insane.

Rigger
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. Been out a few times.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are in a difficult place at the moment. It is good to read you have been out a little. Bigger things start as little things. Please try to find help, someone to talk to properly, friend and or councillor.

Here in the UK the weather has been pretty bad for weeks. Horrendous for many and the effects will stay so for sometime. The cheering thing about is today the SUN IS OUT, bits of blue sky between the fluffy white clouds, hang on in there and allow small things to cheer you.

Take care
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I agree that finding professional help could be very beneficial. Even circumstantial depression can be nearly impossible to drag ourselves out of alone, especially if it is one that is prompted by loss.

I, too, suffer from mental health disorders that make leaving the house extremely difficult, sometimes for weeks at a time. It is during those times that I focus on what I call "small victories." I wake up and I write a list of goals. Very, very small things. Things like do the dishes. Shower. Clean out the litterboxes. Write a journal entry. And then I try to do ONE of those things. Just one. If I get more done, that's great, but even that ONE done is a victory against major depression.

Small victories. Don't discount them.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    I am sorry you are in a difficult place at the moment. It is good to read you have been out a little. Bigger things start as little things. Please try to find help, someone to talk to properly, friend and or councillor.

Here in the UK the weather has been pretty bad for weeks. Horrendous for many and the effects will stay so for sometime. The cheering thing about is today the SUN IS OUT, bits of blue sky between the fluffy white clouds, hang on in there and allow small things to cheer you.

Take care

Thank you. The wind kept me awake throughout the night. Just pleased the sun is out and the rain is sporadic. The wezther hasn't helped my mood.
  • Supadoopafly
    Options
    I agree that finding professional help could be very beneficial. Even circumstantial depression can be nearly impossible to drag ourselves out of alone, especially if it is one that is prompted by loss.

I, too, suffer from mental health disorders that make leaving the house extremely difficult, sometimes for weeks at a time. It is during those times that I focus on what I call "small victories." I wake up and I write a list of goals. Very, very small things. Things like do the dishes. Shower. Clean out the litterboxes. Write a journal entry. And then I try to do ONE of those things. Just one. If I get more done, that's great, but even that ONE done is a victory against major depression.

Small victories. Don't discount them.

Agreed. I am supposed to be visiting a friend today, so far all Ive done is showered. Clothes are dificult since none fit anymore. I feel huge and people stare. I want to remain in my room really.

I am poor & jobless so professional help is a no no.

My family aren't decent ..... I finally came to the conclusion last week. Their behaviour has triggered this latest bout. I feel lonely, stuck & frustrated - at the moment only food seems to be my friend.
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from depression. I take to sitting in bed on computer watching tv. This room is warm in winter and I can get away from life. I know this is not good but the cold and gray skies get me down. I spent a week in Florida visiting my parents and found I was in a much better mood. I know I need to go out but the thought of running from car to store makes me not want to leave the house. I am on depression meds and wonder if one of those different wavelength lights that simulate sunshine would help.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you feel this way. My advice is to do something nice for someone today. It will get your mind off yourself and it will boost your self-esteem knowing that you can make a positive difference in someone's life. :flowerforyou:
  • Courage1895
    Options
    I can understand how you feel, but you have to snap yourself out of it even if it seems impossible. Go visit a friend, call a family member, go on a long walk, or, make an inspiration board. It may sound stupid, but it's actually a lot of fun. Look through magazines or online and make a board of goals, places you want to visit, foods you want to make(healthy) and decorate it and make it visually appealing. Try it, and I think you will be happier.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have had clinical depression and I've had "the blues" and there's a big difference.

Clinical depression requires professional help. I was a mess. I eventually borrowed the money and saw a therapist who was recommended by a friend. It wasn't easy or fun since I had some hard work to do but I got my life back together after a few months. It also taught me a lot about myself and how to get along with others.

For "the blues", I have to run. When I haven't run for a few days, I get really grumpy and depressed, I eat more and my mood spirals downward. I have learned to recognize what's going on and get back to the gym early so I can break the cycle. We've been snowed in for the past four days and I've let myself go. I don't normally run on Saturday but I forced myself to do it just so I could get my head straight.

Good luck.