Does melatonin work?

Options
124»

Replies

• IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Insomnia:3-5mg per oral at bedtime
    Melatonin has no effect on total sleep duration and only affects latency to induce sleep in about 4 minutes. Melatonin has no supportive use in dementia. As an adjunct therapy in fibromyalgia melatonin improves sleep, pain, severity, tender point count and global physician assessment. Melatonin is an immunostimulant and should not be used in persons with autoimmune disorders.

Melatonin doses of 5mg do not alter endogenous melatonin production. Discontinuing melatonin doses less than 10mg per day return plasma melatonin levels to within normal limits within 24hours even after long term dosing.

Reference cited: lexicomp online natural database

I am personally sick of people fabricating information about medication with acecdotal nonsense. I am going to bed now (using endogenous melatonin...lmfao)
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Insomnia:3-5mg per oral at bedtime
    Melatonin has no effect on total sleep duration and only affects latency to induce sleep in about 4 minutes. Melatonin has no supportive use in dementia. As an adjunct therapy in fibromyalgia melatonin improves sleep, pain, severity, tender point count and global physician assessment. Melatonin is an immunostimulant and should not be used in persons with autoimmune disorders.

Melatonin doses of 5mg do not alter endogenous melatonin production. Discontinuing melatonin doses less than 10mg per day return plasma melatonin levels to within normal limits within 24hours even after long term dosing.

Reference cited: lexicomp online natural database

I am personally sick of people fabricating information about medication with acecdotal nonsense. I am going to bed now (using endogenous melatonin...lmfao)

Awesome! Thank you!
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I've used it for years with absolutely no bad effects. I usually take a 3mg dose. They even make them in gummy form now! I was prescribed Ambien in college and it did nothing for me. Melatonin works like a charm and is much cheaper.

It's not habit-forming. I have to remind myself to take it, and many nights I just don't if I already feel sleepy.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Did you ever try increasing your calories, OP? Sometimes not getting enough to eat can contribute to insomnia.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Did you ever try increasing your calories, OP? Sometimes not getting enough to eat can contribute to insomnia.

Sometimes I go to bed hungry, or I'll wake up at 4 am starving. It's so annoying. No matter how much water I drink before bed it doesn't seem to work. Tonight I made sure I ate a bit later, and so far I'm fine and I'm about to go to bed now.
  • Sav_Sky
    Options
    It puts me to sleep but I dont stay a sleep with it. I take two 3 mg
  • Sav_Sky
    Options
    My sleep has been worse ever since I started lifting. Therefore everyone's case is like mine and I am right. Anyone who says or thinks differently is wrong.

Mine is worse now since I started lifting too!
  • jojo93d
    Options
    I've had insomnia all my life, melatonin doesn't work for me. The only thing that works for me is Ambein.
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    10 is too much...so says Dr. Oz.
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Thank you, good info!
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Melatonin by itself doesn't work for me. Source Naturals Night Rest works well. Somnapure might be a bit better--I seem to get slightly more restful sleep with it--but it's not really worth the extra cost. 1/2 dose (1 tablet) of either is usually enough to kick me into sleep.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Sometimes I go to bed hungry, or I'll wake up at 4 am starving. It's so annoying. No matter how much water I drink before bed it doesn't seem to work. Tonight I made sure I ate a bit later, and so far I'm fine and I'm about to go to bed now.

How many calories are you eating?
  • Mello_Rello
    Mello_Rello Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It works, different doses for different folks. I know patients who take 15mg, which is a lot, yet they seem to sty awake, while 2.5mg for me knocks me out.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the rare people that melatonin causes to have nightmares.
    Valerian root works well for me.