PMS-I hate being a woman!

vonalj
vonalj Posts: 124 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, so I was doing great working out/eating healthy and then BOOM! Happens to me every month, never this severe. For that one week my hormones were so crazy! It was like my body threw all caution to the wind. I was very irregular for about 3yrs so I was put on hormones to reset my cycle. Maybe this had something to do with my out of control behavior. Being a woman and having pms is horrible. And once I get my little friend all the well the the world again, I am in control of my behavior, etc. Anyhow, after only 7 days of eating/drinking whatever I wanted I gained 13lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this truly possible??? I knew my body sucked at metabolizing food, but I guess I got a real eye-opener on just how badly it sucks! So now I have to start all over again after all the progress that I made :(

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Gosh I don't know. I think it must be a lot of water weight. Sounds like you may need to talk to you doctor.

It does suck to be a woman sometimes...we have PMS, then TOM, have to go through the pains of labor, have less muscle mass so therefore don't burn as many calories when we workout. I calculated my workout yesterday and clicked male instead of female in the calculator and guess what?? A man would have burned almost 100 more calories than a woman doing the same workout...that is just not right.
  • RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    i am in the same boat every single month, well actually every 3 weeks since my "friend" comes 21 days apart (lucky me) i gain 7lbs literally over night (in water weight) then an additional 3 throughout the week. i have cramp, headaches, back aches, and horrible fatigue, ive taken water pills. and midol and nothing works, im thinking about going to a doctor about it too, i wanted to wait a couple months to really track whats going on, but i have noticed that if i workout everyday (even if its just for 20 min walks) i seem to have a easier time with it all. but for the 3-5 days b4 my period i feel like a huge fat mess!!! keep your head up though there has to be a way to beat it!!! :)
  • Have you tried water pills? They have them ( in my target and walmart ) next to the tampons and pads.
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Don't worry, I'm in that spectacular time of the month too, and have had a binge-fest for the past 3 days. drink lots of water, stay away from sodium, STAY OFF THE SCALE for a week and get back to your normal ways and you will see an improvement.
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Thanks everyone for being so supportive! Its amazing what us women go through! Men have no clue! My fiance keeps telling me that I deprive myself and it makes me so mad when he says that. Its all hormones! :)
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    :flowerforyou: No way!!! You havn't put on 13lbs at all :flowerforyou:

Your body is still holding onto some water...just drink plenty of fluid and the weight will come back down...don't worry about it!

I go through awful TOM with severe mood swings (poor fiance)...and my eating goes way out of control...

It will go down again, looks like you had a pretty strong one and they can do crazy things to your body

Be patient and everything will come back down to normal....:flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Okay, so I was doing great working out/eating healthy and then BOOM! Happens to me every month, never this severe. For that one week my hormones were so crazy! It was like my body threw all caution to the wind. I was very irregular for about 3yrs so I was put on hormones to reset my cycle. Maybe this had something to do with my out of control behavior. Being a woman and having pms is horrible. And once I get my little friend all the well the the world again, I am in control of my behavior, etc. Anyhow, after only 7 days of eating/drinking whatever I wanted I gained 13lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this truly possible??? I knew my body sucked at metabolizing food, but I guess I got a real eye-opener on just how badly it sucks! So now I have to start all over again after all the progress that I made :(

Unless you have eaten 45,500 extra calories, the weight you have put back on will not have been due to going over your calories.

For the seven days, you would needed to have taken just that - 45,500 extra calories - to put on 13lbs (3500 calories = 1lb).

I think it is highly likely that you have another reason for that increase and I would strongly advise a visit to your doctor, because that amount of weight in so short a time is alarming to say the least.

Hold fire with getting totally despondent with your weight, wait and see what the doctor says.

Total sympathy with you on this, I can only vaguely imagine what it would feel like to gain 13lbs in seven days, it would be soul destroying after having losing the weight before.

Your PMS sounds horrendous too, you shouldn't be suffering like that every month, your hormones must be going up the wall.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it gets solved.

Take care
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Over the past few years my TOM has come every 3 weeks too, with fatigue, extreme crankiness, food cravings, etc. I could bareley recover before the next round. So my nurse practitioner recommended Zoloft and it works!! I take half a zoloft daily (12.5mg) and no more PMS!!! Hallelujah! Definitely mention this to your MD or NP.
This discussion has been closed.