Question for long distance runners

Options
Hi all

I was out for a run on Sunday (a 10K as part of my half marathon training) and when I got back I was ok for 10 minutes until I got out of the shower. After that it was horrible.

- Muscles pain
- cramps
- dizziness
- I was feeling sick (like I was about to throw up)
- I was freezing then I was sweating like crazy
- some numbness at the tip of the fingers then numbness up to the elbows
- I had to stay in bed for 5 hours before I was ok enough to sit and eat a little

Some background:
- I am running at least 15KM a week since September. I am running 7KM as a long run at least once a week without problems. That was my first 10KM
- The day before I did a full day of competitive volleyball. A lot of jumps and alot of sweating
- I usually don't drink while I run. I think I will need to change that...
- I think I did not eat enough before my run (a salad with some fruits). I think I will need to work on that as well

To me it looks like I ran out of fuel and like I used way past what I had available. It also felt like severe dehydration.

So now with the question: Did anybody experienced that after a race or an intense excercice?
I know we are not all doctors but I was just wondering if someone in the community experienced something similar

Thanks

Replies

• vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i have ran 4 marathons & many halfs... this is completely normal. Your body isn't used to running that far. You might not even feel better the next time you do it. Eventually it will get better. I suggest maybe slowing down a bit. I tend to get sick like that when I push myself past my limits.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sounds like hydration/stretching issue. Did you stretch after your run? Did you stretch after your volleyball game? Have you been maintaining a good hydration schedule thoughout the week...not just the day of your long run? It doesn't sound like it is a fueling issue, as you say you eat something light before you go. It honestly sounds like a hydration issue.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a water and/or electrolyte problem. What was the weather like during your run? Did you pre-hydrate? How long does 10km take you? Did you eat anything or have an electrolyte supplement when you got home?

For most people, unless there's really severe weather conditions, you should be able to manage a 10k with proper pre-hydration and fuel. I would recommend something with starchy carbs before hand and plenty of water. It's not a bad idea to bring water, either. I would probably suggest some kind of electrolyte supplement as part of your regular training. Something nutritionally is amiss.

I have gotten a similar reaction, but only after actually running my first half marathon- the race itself, not any of the training runs. It can happen occasionally from exertion outside of your comfort zone. Did you run the full distance as fast as you possibly could? If so, you might want to dial back the intensity of your long runs. They're supposed to be slower while you build distance.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    dehydration, out of fuel...

Also, I don't like to get right in the shower. I usually try to wait about 20-30 minutes so my body relaxes, I get accustomed to the indoor temperature, etc. Generally when I get back from a run I'll make a cup of coffee, check email/ Facebook, update my run stats, eat breakfast, etc.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Your long run is a high % of your weekly mileage. Should be around 1/4 to 1/3. You might be overdoing it. Perhaps you should gradually increase your daily runs until you can support a longer long run. Also, you should have enough fuel from your day to day intake to support 6mi, unless you're on some kind of very low calorie thing. But you could try a carby snack before your run rather than the roughage, like a bagel or something. And it's real easy to get dehydrated running in the cold. You're all bundled up and stuff and you sweat more and don't realize it.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    The dizzy, sick, clammy feeling has happened to me when I have done a long morning run on an empty stomach or other strenuous exercise without proper fuel or when I have missed a meal. For me, it is not dehydration but low blood sugar.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options

Also, I don't like to get right in the shower. I usually try to wait about 20-30 minutes so my body relaxes, I get accustomed to the indoor temperature, etc. Generally when I get back from a run I'll make a cup of coffee, check email/ Facebook, update my run stats, eat breakfast, etc.
    This^ Eat and drink and then shower.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think you didn't fuel properly beforehand, you were dehydrated, and you used up all your electrolytes. Also you may possibly be increasing your mileage too fast. Remember, the experts say you can increase by 10% per week max. I do a brick workout (long distance in at least two sports) on Saturdays during kayaking season. I do a 20 mile bike ride, 6 miles kayaking and 4 mile trail run. On the night before I eat 8 ounces of lean protein, a tablespoon of good fats like olive oil, and at least a cup of brown rice. I finish the night with a casein protein shake. That morning I have some fridge oatmeal with protein powder in it, and I take two liters of electrolyte and simple carb solution with me. (Total of about 400 calories, the workout burns 1600 according to my HRM.) Then I have a recovery meal afterwards of complex carbs, proteins and fat, at least 50 grams carbs, 25 grams protein 10 grams fat. Your mileage may vary of course, but it definitely sounds like you weren't fuelling (edit: or more likey, hydrating) properly.
  • frank6666
    frank6666 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback guys

@rduhlir: No stretch at all. Nothing before/after volleyball, nothing before/after the race. Not big of a stretching fan huh? Another thing I will have to improve

I did nothing specific about hydration. I drank as usual which is I believe not enough for an intense activity like this. I will need to work on my hydration schedule

@Morebean13: The weather was minus 15 celcius which is about 5F. Very cold, I had to wear multiple layers of clothing. like I mentioned above, I did not really pre-hydrate. I did not take any electrolytes when I got home

I ran the 10K in 1h10 min at a pace of around 7km/min which is in my confort zone. If I push a little I can run at 6KM/min but not for the whole 10K. I can make it to 7K.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The weather was minus 15 celcius which is about 5F. Very cold, I had to wear multiple layers of clothing. .

If you plan on running in temps like that, I highly recommend ditching "layers" and getting a good running jacket for that temp range. I comfortably run in temps slightly above that and all I wear is a wicking t-shirt (Adidas Climalite or Nike Dri Fit) and a Pearl Izumi Infinity Wind Blocking Jacket. Once I get moving, I'm plenty warm and I don't have to worry about overheating.

This morning was about 10 degrees with 40mph gusts and I was fine (except for my face)
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I get lightheadedness/weak legs during the summer when I do a long run and my electrolyte levels are low. I REALLY need to hydrate during runs, with both water and Powerade/Gatorade, in order to make sure that my body can repair itself and rebuild it's levels properly :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I completely agree with this. First, you said it was very cold out. As tempting as it is to hop into a nice, hot shower, those extreme temp changes can be very hard on the body.

Also, people tend to underestimate the importance of hydration in the winter. In the summer it is humid and the air is saturated, so the moisture collects on your skin and you really know you are sweating. In the winter, the air is very dry and that moisture that your body loses isn't as noticeable. You are still sweating and the need for hydration is just as great. Make sure you are properly hydrated!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh ... the painful lesson of mixing poor hydration, a lack of warm up and cool down, insufficient fueling, failure to effectively layer, then rushing into a shower.