Goal for first run?

Options
Hello,

I am new to running, I've ran a couple of times on a treadmill but that is about it. Tomorrow I am thinking about going to the gym after class and doing some running on the treadmill. The couple of times that I have ran on a tread mill I usually did 30-45 minutes of brisk walking/running and it would equal about 1-1.5 miles.

If I go tomorrow I really want to push myself but what goal should I shoot for? 45 minutes no matter how far I've gone? 2 miles? To burn a certain amount of calories?

Running is something i want to start to get into to lose a little bit of weight. Suggestions? Thank you.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would download C25k and follow that. It's a well developed program for new runners.

Otherwise, if your prior distance is 1.5 miles, that's where I would start, rather than 45 mins. I would set my goal to 1.5 miles and then run SLOWLY for as long as you feel like you can, and then walk until you feel just recovered, then run slowly again. Repeat until you hit 1.5 miles. You could do this 3x/week. Moving forward, you can add distance of 10% per week. Don't worry too much about your speed, just make sure that you're only walking long enough to just recover, then run again. Over time your walks will get shorter and your runs will get longer, as long as you force yourself to run until you can't anymore and only walk to recover.

ETA: and when I say run slowly, I mean almost uncomfortably slowly. It should feel like you want to run faster, but don't. Slow running at the beginning is the key to success.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    When I first started running a long time ago, the advice I was given by experienced runners was to set a goal of either time (around 30 minutes) or distance (like 2-3 k at most for a beginner) and first try to walk this time/distance with a moderately brisk pace. Then add intervals of running and walking, starting with mostly walking, like 3 minutes walking 1 minute running for a complete beginner. Run at the lowest possible speed that is actually running and not walking, do not worry at all about increasing the pace at first, the opposite. Depending on how you do each week, gradually increase the time you run vs the time you walk, and very gradually also increase your speed - do not increase both at the same time. First you go for the time or distance goal, then you worry about speed. If you already are in good shape (e.g. doing other cardio regulalry) then you can set more ambitious goals from early on. I have found this routine to work for me every time I stop for a while and want to get back to running.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are lots of ways to go about it, as mentioned alot of people have success with c25k and its free. When I started I would set a time limit and just run as far as I could and take a walk break repeatedly for that time period. C25k is better planned than that so you might progress faster with a actual training plan. The biggest thing I learned was to slow down to a pace where you can maintain your breathing. Start out running at a pace of about 4.5 on the treadmill and see how you feel. You will be able to pick up your pace in time but starting out slow will really help you build up to running longer stretches.
  • Jurow
    Jurow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i've always found running to a time pretty good so 10 mins out then back that should be about 20 mins see how far you go, then try beat it next time, once youre running comfortably up the time.

thats worked for me
  • ditzie2009
    ditzie2009 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I started running I mapped out 1 mile distant and ran that 3 times per week until I managed to complete it without stopping - and I was so chuffed. Then I added more distance and in 2 weeks time am about to attempt my 3rd 1/2 marathon!

Take it easy and do what you can - you will have bad days so don't get upset about these. Most of all ENJOY IT :smile:
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hello,

The couple of times that I have ran on a tread mill I usually did 30-45 minutes of brisk walking/running and it would equal about 1-1.5 miles.

Are you sure those distances are correct? No offense meant but 1 mile in 30 minutes is actually quite a slow walking pace, let alone a brisk walk/jog. I would double check that to be sure.

My suggestion is to start with a time goal but bring a GPS thing with you (endomondo app for smartphones is great) and see how far you get in that time. Start by doing intervals of walking and running and and slowly increase the running portions and decrease the walking until you're doing 20-30 minutes of straight running. As you add more running your GPS will show how your distance is improving in that time too.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Good for you on getting going with the running! Couch to 5k is indeed a good program and it's sometimes nice to have your runs scheduled and structured for you. Another option is to just play around and have some fun. Maybe just do what you feel like and have fun in the beginning. Try to go a little farther. Or try to do the same distance in a shorter amount of time. Or do one of those things one day, and the other another day! Good luck and have fun!