My first week, help me on the right path!

Options
Female
20yrs
180 pounds
5'8
1300 daily calorie intake

Hey guys, I am nearly done my first week of staying within an 1300 daily calorie intake. I jog every day for 30 minutes and lose about 360 calories and I do eat them back. I'm hoping to drop down to 140 pounds by July.

I was looking for any suggestions and input. My food diary is open to the public, so if you could take a look at it and let me know if there's anything I'm doing that could possibly sabotage my diet or refrain me from losing weight. Or any tips on how to succeed my goals more efficiently.

(Oh I don't normally track my water but I normally drink green tea and about 3 bottles of water a day)

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Looks pretty good, just make sure you hit your goal, not sure if you didnt finish your log for yesterday but eating less than 1000 cals is not a good way to do it. Did not appear that you do that regularly though so that is good.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I put this together a while back. It seems to have helped some folks. It worked for me and tons of others.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

not sure where you got a 1300 calorie goal, but I'd really look at that again. You're gonna burn out.
  • Jessicaigo214
    Options
    I have had such a hard time going to the gym to work out because of all the stares id get... So now I do leslie sansome walk at home videos theyre awesome do low impact and easy to fallow id highly recomend them!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Eat all your calories - going slightly over is no big deal.

Eat most of your exercise calories.

Add strength training (if you haven't already)

Weigh, measure and log everything accurately.

Don't worry if you have no losses or slight gains one week (fluctuations are normal)

If you are struggling because you are not getting to eat as much protein as you would normally - manually change your macro setting.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Give this a read, it works really well for me and lots of people. Sane and sensible.:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Trog, I've lost about 40 lbs over the last year. Just reset my profile to lose the last 30 (because I'm never going back to my old weight!). What worked for me was finding foods that I loved and would eat even if I wasn't "dieting". So you don't really feel like you're watching what you eat. Plan for treats and eating out by working out a little extra that day or eating light the rest of the day. Find low cal things that satisfy cravings (eating a few pieces of candy instead of a huge piece of cake) and always have them around. Don't eat something just because it's low calorie if you don't enjoy eating it (not one time during the past year did I consume a protein shake or protein bar). Don't get too caught up in time lines for when you want to lose the weight (you might set yourself up for disappointment). As long as you're losing weight (or not gaining for that matter) it's a good thing. Don't get too freaked out by plateaus. I had a couple during the year and I just relaxed and kept doing what I was doing and then I would start dropping again. Don't get too obsessed about what other people tell you (especially when if comes to cal intake arguments). Find what works for you. That's all I can think of. Good luck!

Oh, and it also helped me to take breaks every once in awhile. I would up my calories for a week (like from 1300 to 1600) just to give myself a little break and then go back to my normal plan the next week.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    AutumnPhade- Congratulations on taking control of your health at a young age. I do have a couple of suggestions. First, go to your doctor and get a basic set of labs run to check thyroid function, cholesterol and a chemistry for liver/kidney function. Ask him to also include a magnesium.
    Then, once you've dieted for several months, have him recheck your cholesterol and anything that was abnormal. Even if your cholesterol isn't terrible, you should see improvement in the HDL/LDL ratio and decreased triglycerides, which is all vital to your health.
    My numbers on MFP do come out to 1200 and that only allows a 0.8 pound loss a week. So far, it seems that if I follow perfectly, adding calories for any exercise, it's been right on the money.
    Good luck and track your foods every time you eat. That way, you know if you're starting to go over, before it's too late. Plus, if you only log at the end of the day or even the next day, you are sure to forget things. I agree on weighing your food, too.
    Good Luck!
  • KudraM
    KudraM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great information, trogalicous! The second part is especially relevant. I was one of those 1200 people the first time around. I used the Zone diet and lost a lot of weight at first. Then, just as you said, I became tired and started cheating because i was hungry and not eating enough, Yes, I think the average person in their 20s can perhaps lose 2 lbs a week. It's much harder after 35. I've since learned to be more flexible and forgiving with myself and my health regimen. I am taking it slow this time and not rushing. Like you said : BE PATIENT. I am still in my first week and processing lots of whiny emotions, etc. Starving myself on 1200 would only burn me out. I am here for the long haul! Thanks for the great post :)

Edit to add: I love Scooby's Workshop!
  • bradXdale
    Options
    I put this together a while back. It seems to have helped some folks. It worked for me and tons of others.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

not sure where you got a 1300 calorie goal, but I'd really look at that again. You're gonna burn out.

Oh my god.

This.

This.

This.

This. x 10000000