Broken Coccyx help!

Options
Hey, I broke my coccyx ten days ago, and it hurts. I have piled about 6 pounds back on and I need to stop feeling sorry for myself!!

I know google should be my friend here, but has anyone else gone through this? What is the best exercise to tide me over, I tried running, and it really didn't work.

Is Swimming going to be okay?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    As an ex-swimmer who broke my coccyx, I'll say swimming should be fine but breaststroke kicking (the frog one) will probably be sore. Also I highly recommend carrying a nice squishy cushion with you for the next few months whenever you know you'll be sitting on hard seats!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What don't you just lower your calories and let it heal.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    excellent thank you, the only problem I foresee is that that's the only stroke I can do lol....Embarrassing at 35, but hey ho!
  • OllyReeves
    Options
    What don't you just lower your calories and let it heal.

Because it feels bad not doing anything. It took m a long time to get back into enjoying exercise, and I don't want to let that go.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Oh my god..how did you do that?
  • zapinkleopard
    Options
    You broke your butt?? How'd u do that??? I can imagine how painful that is! Heal swiftly!!!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'd favour giving it a little time, but if you need to do swimming you don't have to be doing a set stroke, how about just using your feet as flippers, increase your vigour as you are able. Don't forget to sit on a ring to keep your weight off it. I can't remember how long it took a teenager to recover in the same situation. Bones in general take 6 weeks but some take much longer others less. A coccyx is not that trivial (because it is vestigial), it just sounds it.
  • OllyReeves
    Options
    You broke your butt?? How'd u do that??? I can imagine how painful that is! Heal swiftly!!!

I went rollerskating lol.

I'm in a show where a coupled of people have to rollerskate so we went as a social. I've never done it before so I fell a lot, most times were pretty funny wipeouts, but one of them was obviously too much!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I've injured my Coccyx 3 times before in my like (not broken to my knowledge) and it was awful, I feel your pain!

Honestly, I would just rest it as much as you can, and eat less to compensate. I know you've just gotten into the routine of exercise but it'll take longer to heal if you don't give it proper rest. Not sure of recovery times for broken ones, is it 6-8 weeks like broken arms etc? I remember mine was giving me trouble for about 2-3 weeks each time I hurt it.
  • OllyReeves
    Options
    Ouch! I've injured my Coccyx 3 times before in my like (not broken to my knowledge) and it was awful, I feel your pain!

Honestly, I would just rest it as much as you can, and eat less to compensate. I know you've just gotten into the routine of exercise but it'll take longer to heal if you don't give it proper rest. Not sure of recovery times for broken ones, is it 6-8 weeks like broken arms etc? I remember mine was giving me trouble for about 2-3 weeks each time I hurt it.

thank you for this. I suppose I might just have to accept I can't do much for a while