what to put on oatmeal?

Options
2»

Replies

• cabrzama
    cabrzama Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just do plain Quaker oats, two splenda packets, a half a banana, and just a little milk. I do like fruit so it's not hard to find lots of different things to add to it. I think the milk and splenda would be fine once in a while.
  • Megooo19
    Options
    I love Coaches Oats from costco. YUM. Plus a bag is like 7 dollars and probably will last you a good 5 months. This morning I put 2 spoonfuls of pumpkin in mine with a bit of cinnamon, pupkin spice, and about 10 chocolate chips...maybe not THE healthist topper but it was yummy.
  • ladymedic22
    ladymedic22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like bee pollen, flax seed ground, walnuts and dried cherries. Or flax, raisins, agave nectar or honey, coconut and coconut extract tastes like an oatmeal raisin cookie.
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    What is the best kind that you can microwave? I have to cook my breakfast at work so I am limited to the microwave. I agree that the packets just don't fill you up as much, but that is my only option if I want oatmeal.

I just buy the regular big bags of 3 minute quick cooking oats - cooks just the same in the microwave as the instant stuff but is way better and cheaper and better for the environment since there's less packaging! I premix a bit of cinnamon and a little stevia in the container I carry it to work in and therefore cook the flavor right in. Cooks best if you add HOT water to the oats before zapping on high for a minute-ish. I've also added raisins or dried cranberries and walnuts to it and again like to cook them in with the oats first (not sure why I do, but I prefer it this way).
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I do 2 tsp brown sugar and cinnamon makes it taste like a cinnamon roll.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I eat oats just about every morning and I like to mix up the flavours and toppings a lot. Although a nut butter blob on top is typically on the menu!

> A little fruit jam makes it sweet (I use the no added sugar fruit preserve type) and is delicious with PB or whichever nut butter grabs your interest.
    > Adding protein powder, a little cocoa powder and a couple of drops of stevia gives me chocolate oats (very yum).
    > Also, oats don't necessarily need to be sweet. Stir-melt a laughing cow cheese wedge into cooked oats and top with scrambled egg (and bacon if you like) for a very yum breakfast.
    > Dried fruit will give a sweet edge. Add some sliced almonds for good fats. Whisk an egg into your mixture before cooking to amp up protein and make nice creamy oats.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I really like a couple of slices of bananas, a teaspoon of chopped walnut, but next time I'm going to also add 10 chocolate chips (really upset with myself that I didn't think of that on my own). Thank you guys for all the great ideas, my oatmeal won't be so boring anymore.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I really like a couple of slices of bananas, a teaspoon of chopped walnut, but next time I'm going to also add 10 chocolate chips (really upset with myself that I didn't think of that on my own). Thank you guys for all the great ideas, my oatmeal won't be so boring anymore.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/118740-how-do-you-like-your-oatmeal

There was just a discussion about oatmeal so I bumped it!
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yummy oatmeal for the colder weather. Thanks everyone!
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    Cinnamon is awesome!
  • mizyvee
    mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Coaches Oatmeal at Costco is great oatmeal. I use this at home.

I take the easy route at work: Quaker instant regular flavor oatmeal and adding 1 tbls Sugar Free Vanilla or Hazelnut coffee creamer to it. It gives it flavor and a little sweetness. All for 115 Calories. When I feel like it, I sometimes go into the company kitchen and cook up a quick batch of egg whites to mix in too. That takes it up to 175 Calories.
  • elloradannon
    Options
    I buy the steel cut oats in bulk at Sprouts (or most health food stores have them). I always cook a batch on Sundays- it takes 30 minutes on the stove top so I like to do it in advance. Then I add a little brown sugar and Trader Joe's antioxidant trail mix (dried fruit and nuts). You said you don't like fruit- maybe you could use some agave syrup and walnuts. The steel cut oats are DELICIOUS. Once I tried them I never went back to regular oatmeal
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and 10-grain hot cereal. My hot cereal breakfast is usually a concoction of about 1/2 to 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp ground flax seed, 1 tbsp wheat germ, and about 1 tbsp soy protein powder. The flax seed gives it a little bit of a nutty flavor and balances out the sweetness of the brown sugar.

I usually buy old fashioned, but I'm not really picky on brand and try different ones. I also usually just use water and no milk.