Bullet Proof Coffee help and advice needed!

Options
Hi,

I wanted to try bullet proof coffee as I've read quite a bit on the boards about it. However, I went shopping last night for coconut oil. I was amazed at the price! I can't afford it. :sad:

Would walnut oil be a reasonable substitution? I like walnuts so would probably like the taste.

Also, do you need one of those little whisks to mix it up? I sort of imagine the oil and butter sitting gloopily on top of the coffee!! :laugh:

Comments welcome! :flowerforyou: and appreciated.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I order my coconut oil from vitacost or swansons (their brands) and find it very affordable. I also really like the aroma and flavor of the coconut, not sure another oil would be the same:)

I use an immersion blender. So handy in the kitchen, not just for coffee!
  • amindyleigh
    amindyleigh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am no expert because I really can't stomach the thought of oil in my coffee but I have heard of people using a combo of butter and cream rather than coconut oil.
    I know what you mean about it being expensive. Maybe some coconut milk or cream would be ok? it's alot cheaper.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    What's bullet proof coffee - I have coconut oil and it sounds interesting :)

OP worth the investment btw - chicken tastes amazing fried in it and it's good for skin and hair too.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Trader joes if you're in the states.

Also tastes good on oven roasted sweet potatoes - instead of olive oil
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I wanted to try bullet proof coffee as I've read quite a bit on the boards about it. However, I went shopping last night for coconut oil. I was amazed at the price! I can't afford it. :sad:

Would walnut oil be a reasonable substitution? I like walnuts so would probably like the taste.

Also, do you need one of those little whisks to mix it up? I sort of imagine the oil and butter sitting gloopily on top of the coffee!! :laugh:

Comments welcome! :flowerforyou: and appreciated.

My advice would be to pay strict attention to satiety and total energy intake for the day considering you'll be drinking a significant portion of your calories.

I would also consider getting blood work done before you start, and perhaps a few months into it. This is entirely anecdotal (reports from a doctor in the fitness community through Alan Aragon's research review) but there's at least some evidence that people who go on this coffee and see increases in cholesterol.
  • SideSteel
    Options

OP worth the investment btw - chicken tastes amazing fried in it and it's good for skin and hair too.

It started with some IT guy on the web making outrageous claims about how his special coffee when mixed with MCT oil and butter, did all kinds of things including raised his IQ by 20pts.

It's basically a scam insofar as the claims.
  • 3laine75
    Options

It started with some IT guy on the web making outrageous claims about how his special coffee when mixed with MCT oil and butter, did all kinds of things including raised his IQ by 20pts.

Aw rubbish, didn't know it was a weigh loss/miracle health thingy - just thought it was some kind of tasty beverage :(
  • SideSteel
    Options

Aw rubbish, didn't know it was a weigh loss/miracle health thingy - just thought it was some kind of tasty beverage :(

It might be tasty, I have no idea. But you should ask yourself if the tasty is worth the calories. I can think of a whole lot of tasty things that are at or lower than the calorie cost of BP coffee.
  • Llamedos1960
    Options
    3lain75: I only plan on having it occasionally so can't really justify the expense - I'm on a very tight budget! And if you don't need to increase your fat intake then it's probably not worth it. It's a lot of calories and it's all fat! I think, from what I've read, that it's supposed to be made with strong coffee, one tbsp of butter and one tbsp of coconut oil.

Sidesteel: I agree with you on the claims made but fancied a really punchy beverage to increase my fat intake. I'm not a great fan of milk/cheese/cream - it tends to make me feel nauseous so this might work for increasing fat consumption. I'm trying to lower carbs (I have diabetes) and increase fat. And I hope it doesn't raise IQ! I'm already a member of MENSA and there is a correlation between high IQ and insanity, you know!!! :wink:

"Do you suffer from insanity?"
    "No! I enjoy it immensely!!!"

Happy days everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Thanks guys - I'll probably give it a miss then, I'm usually always over on fat :/

Llamedos: feel free to pinch fatty food ideas from my diary =D
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it would be marvelous for winter camping at high altitudes or long-distance cross-country skiing, like Tibetan butter tea. Otherwise, I'll pass!
  • allergygirl
    Options
    I think you definitely need a blender. I tried making Coffee with Butter and Almond Milk and letting it get frothy in the blender and it wasn't have bad. I found that it was just as appetite-killing as the typical recipe. YMMV.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Who the F* is defiling the deliciousness of coffee with freaking OIL!???!
  • postpunkmamma
    postpunkmamma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think this is amazing, I love bulletproof coffee. I use regular expeller coconut oil 1T, and 2T butter. and almond milk. I t blends up like a latte, so good for breakfast when on Keto!!

Try swansons or a local whole food shop might sell it in bulk and you can buy as much or little as you want. Or just use all butter, probably unsalted though
  • 123Pari
    123Pari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof coffee is aaaamazing! Some people will never understand! :grumble:

Have you looked at prices of MCT oil on Amazon? coconut oil is good for flavour, but its the Medium Chain Triglyceride's that you need to produce keytones.... MCT is much more effective for this

You only need a tablespoon of the stuff so it lasts ages. MCT oil also blends up much better then coconut oil.

I use

1 tablespoon MCT
    0.5 Tablespoon Coconut oil
    1 Talbespoon Butter
    1 tablespoon coco powder
    stevia to sweeten
  • 123Pari
    123Pari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    400 calories is hardly a lot for breakfast (100 calories per tablespoon of fat-average) Especially when it keeps you full for hours...unlike a bowl of crappy wheat filled cereal/ bagel/low fat option....that will spike you blood sugar and make you hungry again in 90 mins.

Not to mention how uniquely beneficial MCTs are

If anything is a 'scam' its the 'healthy' whole grains...
  • maracuya23
    Options
    As a very occasional treat, espresso or coffee blended with coconut milk and almond butter is just delicious.

No claims on IQ points etc. Very tasty though- sort of a caffeinated, much less sweet almond joy.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    400 calories is hardly a lot for breakfast (100 calories per tablespoon of fat-average) Especially when it keeps you full for hours...unlike a bowl of crappy wheat filled cereal/ bagel/low fat option....that will spike you blood sugar and make you hungry again in 90 mins.

Not to mention how uniquely beneficial MCTs are

If anything is a 'scam' its the 'healthy' whole grains...

THIS. I LOVE my bullet-proof coffee and my breakfasts are 800-900 calories, depending on what I eat. I also eat low carb and high fat.