PASTA: How to measure already cooked

Options
2»

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    For a benchmark: GENERALLY 1 cup of pasta cooked (85 grams dry), about a minute or two past al dente, is ~ 280-320 calories

Usually, the listing's for dry pasta. For the 100th time, I will say: they really should just write that on the box.
  • catylina71
    Options
    YOU ROCK!!! THANK YOU!!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    just weigh it.

When in doubt, I refer to the USDA database.
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6458

Most of the foods listed there are in the MFP database as well, you just have to know how to search for them on MFP - the USDA search function is much better!

Then just copy a few words from the title, like "Spaghetti, cooked, enriched" and search on MFP and it shows up as the #1 entry. You can always tell the USDA imported entries because on the website they don't have an * before the name and also the units will be mixed (1 oz., 1 cup, 100 g). I try to use those entries as much as possible since there are so many garbage entries on MFP.
  • Jgmafpw
    Jgmafpw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Jgmafpw
    Options
    Thank you! That's what I needed to know! I'm eating leftover pasta, already cooked so the "just do the math" responses aren't much help.
  • Jgmafpw
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Burrito88
    Burrito88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The actual measuring depends on the type of pasta. 2 Oz of Penne will take up more space than 2 Oz of angle hair.

Here is a good conversion source I found http://www.barilla.com/faq?p=measuring
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Well you could always just weigh it dry where you have the accurate nutrition information then after you cook it weigh it again then just make a ratio of the cooked weight to the dry weight to determine the nutrition per unit weight.

So if you have 2oz dry and thats 200 calories or 100 cal per oz and you cook it and now it is 4oz then its still 200 calories but now its 50 cal per oz.
  • rstuck6182
    Options
    I just cooked a pound of angel hair, weighed it and divided by eight and got 6 ounces.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Angel hair is about 4.5 cooked when I reweigh it.
  • zbeatsa
    Options
    is the a compact/packed 1 cup? I am talking about long pasta and am confused if there should be space or not in it.