Inches lost vs dress sizes

Options
I'd like to know if anyone knows what is the correlation between inches and womens sizes? Like if I lost an inch off my waist and 2 inches off my hips, is that one dress size down or not? Are there any figures for this type of thing. Heck I don't even know how many pounds you have to lose to go down a size.

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I went from a snug 12 to a loose 8 after losing 24 pounds. My waist went from 31" to 28.5". Not sure if that helps. If you go to a clothing website, they will probably have a sizing chart for their clothes.

I'm so sorry to read from your profile that you have lupus. I worked with a woman once who had it twenty years ago. I wish you the best.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a pat answer to this question, but since body types are so different (apple shapes, pear shapes, etc) I'm not sure if you can accurately say losing so many inches off your waist and hips and you will be down to a certain size.:ohwell:

Currently I am between a 6 and an 8, some of my 8's fit just right, some are loose, some of my 6's fit just right and some of them are a bit tight. When I started MFP in January I was wearing 10's, 12's and some 14's:sad: and I know that some people that are my height and weight for them they can be anywhere from a 10 - 4....

I suggest that you just concentrate on the exercise and watching your calories instead of concentrating on what size you are and / or will be:flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For correct sizing (Europe) the number usually referes to waist size, a size 8 is a 28" a 4 is a 24", in the US they try to make women feel smaller so an 8 is more like 30-32"
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Perhaps that is why out of 7 pairs of size 8 pants I tried on, only one fit my waist. The rest were WAY too big in the waist! It is frustrating.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I went from a snug 12 to a loose 8 after losing 24 pounds. My waist went from 31" to 28.5". Not sure if that helps. If you go to a clothing website, they will probably have a sizing chart for their clothes.
    Me too after losing only 10 lbs. and my waist went from 29" to 27". LOL. But the biggest difference was bust for me. I went from 39" to 36". That just goes to show you everyone's different :laugh:
    And I can fit a 6 in lots of things but an 8 in others (at the same designer). :mad: It's frustrating, but you'll figure it out.