Weight-loss: Eating little to no dinner

Hey guys!

Over a year ago, I've gotten into the habit of eating little to no dinner. If I do eat, it's always something snack-sized, like small fruit or maybe some blended juice. My appetite peters out around 6PM as a result of eating big breakfasts and constantly eating throughout lunch.

This diet helped me lose 15 lbs over two months. It has always proven successful in shedding excess weight that gains itself back casually.

Wondering if anyone else eats little to no dinner like I do? If so, has it been successful for you?

If you haven't done it, would you consider doing it?

Replies

• Here's a blog post by Daniel Tenner that summarizes how I went about this eating schedule:

http://danieltenner.com/post/32896015502/0018-how-to-lose-weight-html
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I haven't really done this BUT I sometimes make lunch my largest meal of the day and then eat a very small dinner. For example, I've gone out for Chinese or Mexican and eaten more than usual so let's say, over 800 cal, and then come home and have a dinner that is unusually small such as sautéed mushrooms, peppers & onions with just a tiny bit of shredded cheese (less than 1 oz) melted on top and some Sriracha...so about 170 to 200 cal for dinner. I feel perfectly satisfied with that. I could see myself doing something like that purposely on a regular basis just to try it out and see if I liked it.

Also I eat dinner early, before 6 pm most nights and that means I inadvertently do a 12 hour "fast" pretty much every night because I wake up at 6 am the next day and rarely snack after dinner.

I think whatever works for you...I've seen people post on here about so many different eating schedules and all seem to be successful for some people!
  • I've just started a diet in which I eat my last meal before 4 o'clock. It's not that I'm not eating dinner, because I still eat 5 to 6 small meals; just an early dinner, I guess.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    I tend to go on the basis of Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and dine like a Pauper, but do struggle to make breakfast the highest in calories, it's normally lunch for me.
    I do a lot of my exercise in the evening so a 300calorie meal for me wouldn't work, but dinner does tend to be the lowest in calories.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    :flowerforyou: Sometimes I don't eat dinner if I have a big lunch and dinner would put me over my calories. If it's working for you it's good. Good luck to ya!
  • davidrip1
    davidrip1 Posts: 70 Member
    I have a major problem in this regard. I eat about 500 -600 calories prior to about 8pm. Then I go bonkers and eat and drink up all my exercise calories and more before I go to bed. This is usually around 1400 to 2400 calories. Needless to say I have been on a plateau. I would love to be able to have your willpower. What time do you go to bed?
  • cidalia1973
    cidalia1973 Posts: 51 Member
    I can't. I'm always hungry in the evening regardless of what I eat during the day. If anything, I feel better with a decent breakfast, a light lunch, a couple of light snacks, and a light or moderate dinner. I prefer to eat a bit less during the day so I can enjoy those calories in the evening. Eating a hearty lunch does nothing to curb my evening appetite.

Everyone is different. The important thing is what and how much you eat over the course of the day versus what you burn. I don't think it matters when you consume calories. The problem with night eating is that a lot of people have already eaten their calorie limit for the day and then go eat some more at night because of appetite.
  • I have a major problem in this regard. I eat about 500 -600 calories prior to about 8pm. Then I go bonkers and eat and drink up all my exercise calories and more before I go to bed. This is usually around 1400 to 2400 calories. Needless to say I have been on a plateau. I would love to be able to have your willpower. What time do you go to bed?
    On a typical weekday, I go to sleep around midnight, give or take an hour. My days always start early, and I'm mostly doing sedentary work during the evening, if not going out.

I think it's a matter of looking forward to breakfast and understanding how to allot food according to your energy. You don't need energy to go to sleep, but you do need energy to pull through the day. Since I don't eat dinner, I wake up hungry and prepared to eat. If you start a cycle of slowly minimizing your dinner, you'll actually want to eat more at breakfast and lunch. Your appetite is a push and pull equilibrium.

Maybe start first with a large breakfast instead! Knowing that you ate substantially in the morning will make you feel less compelled to eat bigger at night.
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    How many hours before bed do you eat? When I am able to eat dinner earlier and eat smaller meals at night it is always pretty easy to lose weight. I find that means I need to have my last small meal around 5 or 6 hours before bed. Currently, I have this awful schedule that does not allow me to eat as early as I would like. I would prefer to consume most of my calories mid-day but I work in retail management and mid-day is when I am always too busy to eat. I do have an active job so I am on my feet all day burning calories but when I do have time to eat it has to be quick. When I get home I struggle with being too wound up from my day and really need time to relax before I want to eat. I typically eat as late at 9:30 at night. I will then go to bed about 3 hours later. I am not sure if 3 hours before bed is enough time.
  • How many hours before bed do you eat? When I am able to eat dinner earlier and eat smaller meals at night it is always pretty easy to lose weight. I find that means I need to have my last small meal around 5 or 6 hours before bed. Currently, I have this awful schedule that does not allow me to eat as early as I would like. I would prefer to consume most of my calories mid-day but I work in retail management and mid-day is when I am always too busy to eat. I do have an active job so I am on my feet all day burning calories but when I do have time to eat it has to be quick. When I get home I struggle with being too wound up from my day and really need time to relax before I want to eat. I typically eat as late at 9:30 at night. I will then go to bed about 3 hours later. I am not sure if 3 hours before bed is enough time.

I usually have a minimum of five hours between eating and sleeping. Maybe try blending a big smoothie for your lunch. It can work as a snack that lasts you throughout the evening. If your ingredients are more protein-dense then you'll be more full before your evening appetite works up! :)
  • Hi guys. I have found a way to reduce around 10 kg per month. Eliminate all the non-veg stuff and dairy stuff(milk,cheese and other milk products) and go for veggies. A little exercise i.e a 1 hour walk daily will definitely help us to shred around 10 kg's per month.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    I workout either early morning or around noon. For me, working out is a natural appetite suppressant. So when I'm working out regularly, I am less hungry in the morning and at lunch time. I usually am fairly hungry at dinner, and so dinner is usually the most caloric meal I eat.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    I do the exact opposite. I never eat breakfast, or if I do, it's really small. I eat a huge dinner and a substantial lunch.

Meal timing and frequency doesn't matter as far as weight management. It's your total calorie intake that matters. As long as you're at a deficit each day, you'll continue to lose.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    I couldn't do it! I look forward to my dinner too much. I have big portions of veg to bulk out my meals and always look forward to having that bigger meal in the evening after healthy breakfast and lunch. Oh and I'm a huge fan of evening snacking :p
  • I am also the opposite. I normally have a shake for breakfast, something small for lunch and dinner, I go all out. Granted, the meals are always healthy, but dinner is definitely my largest meal of the day.
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    For me lunch or dinner is my biggest meal, depending on my work schedule. I I go to bed hungry I don't sleep, and if I don't eat something for dinner I'm going to be hungry.