low carb high fat

Options
so im upping my calories well almo/st eating on tdee now! i see my face getting slimmer and so. last monday i started low carb high fat however i already feel deprived... is it still possible to lose weight eating carbs? thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    so im upping my calories well almo/st eating on tdee now! i see my face getting slimmer and so. last monday i started low carb high fat however i already feel deprived... is it still possible to lose weight eating carbs? thanks!

Weight loss is about calories, not carbs. So if you had success prior to reducing carbs, go back
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as deprivation. I see it as choices. You do what is necessary to lose weight or you choose not to. More and more scientific information is coming to light on why we should eat so many carbs. They cause insulin to spike and we keep wantint to eat more. Weight loss is mroe than calories. If we aren't eating nutritious food, the weight will not come off. How many posts have you see that the person is exercising and sticking to calories but not losing - but they are eating junk! Give the program a chance. A few days is nothing.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can absolutely eat carbs and lose weight (I do). However, it's also a good idea to eat less white fluffy carbs than you probably had before because 1) the full feeling doesn't last as long as it would if you were eating whole grain carbs, fat, and protein and 2) you're going to have more of a "carb-crash" later when it wears off and that's when people often start snacking for energy.

I used to eat the white fluffy stuff in every meal (white bread, pasta, croisants, donuts, etc). I still usually have some of that every day or two just because I like the taste but I eat a MUCH smaller portion, don't have it with every meal, and try to up the veggies/proteins/fats.

That being said, some people like the Keto lifestyle and it works for them. The biggest reason to pick a specific lifestyle is because it WORKS FOR YOU. If super low carb isn't your thing then pick something that is.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You posted earlier that you've struggled with an ED in the past. The LAST thing you want to do is put yourself in a situation where you're restricting food groups or deciding some foods are "bad." That's a slippery slope and for most people with ED issues, it can put your recovery at risk.

There are no "bad" foods or "good" foods -- there's just food, and food is good for you. Carbs are good for you, fat is good for you, protein is good for you. If you're constantly feeling deprived, your body is telling you that eating plan doesn't work! At best, you won't stick with it, and at worse it will trigger bingeing. If you had a plan that was working for you, please go back to it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't see it as deprivation. I see it as choices. You do what is necessary to lose weight or you choose not to. More and more scientific information is coming to light on why we should eat so many carbs. They cause insulin to spike and we keep wantint to eat more. Weight loss is mroe than calories. If we aren't eating nutritious food, the weight will not come off. How many posts have you see that the person is exercising and sticking to calories but not losing - but they are eating junk! Give the program a chance. A few days is nothing.

A lot of those threads where people aren't losing because of junk is because they aren't tracking correctly or consistently or come out that the post has PCOS or Hypothyroidism. The law of thermodynamics is the only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss in those without medical conditions. Calories is for weight loss, macronutrients is satiety, muscle retention and performance. Insulin spike doesn't affect weight loss, as even exercise and protein will spike insulin.

But whats worse is trying to follow a program you cannot stick with. The key to success is diet adherence. If going low carb leads to binges, it's not a good choice. While it might be great for you, it's not for the next person. I personally could never do low carb. Anytime I restrict foods that I love and crave, it leads to binging or lack of diet adherence.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Diet composition has no bearing on body weight.

xpRIZCA.png

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/55/2/350.full.pdf

The only affect diet composition has on your diet is to help or hinder adherence. In other words, you may be able to adhere to a diet longer by sticking to less palatable or less calorie-dense foods.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Love this bit:
    "It is notable that there was only 1kg of weight variation during the entire study."
  • myplacetohide
    myplacetohide Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As someone who has tried every diet out there, I can assure you that diets are like jeans, one brand does not fit all. From diabetics, to hypothyroid's, to hyperthyroid's, to butt fat, to belly fat, to post menopause...you name it.

I found that a keto diet works for me. To the tune of 16 pounds in 2 months. As for the nay-sayers, this was not only doctor followed, but promoted by the chief of endocrinology at a very large hospital . It works for my particular disease. No more acid reflux. No more IBS.

Did i go through withdrawals? Yes. Come on man...food is an addiction. You didn't get fat because you were eating dirt. This is going to be hard. Quitting any addiction is hard. Anyone who DOES quit an addiction comes out the other end stronger, tougher and a better person.

But here is the thing. You can listen to each and every one of us blather on about the personal Jesus we found under the couch (and it's the ONLY way to live...diet) or, you can do your homework, actually do some research and find out what works for you. What we say here (strangers on the internet) is no more fact than what is written on the sidewalk in chalk. That is reality. i lost 16 lbs in 2 months and got rid of 4 scripts...that is reality too. BUT, it is my personal reality. That does not mean it will work for you.

So here is some research for you (and no, I am not going to answer these questions for you, i don't feel the need to be right in your personal world) but once you answer them for YOURSELF, you may find the right diet for you.

1. Are all calories created equal?
    2. If after i eat sweets, do I crave sweets?
    3. Do i feel better or worse if i eat or skip breakfast.
    4. Is there any scientific research saying we need a certain amount of water a day? (I want you to research this because it will show you that what you know to be TRUE, more than likely is not *wink)
    5. Should I consume a different amount of calories a day when i workout?
    6. Am i binge eater/
    7. Do I eat something on my naughty list just so I have an excuse to blow the whole day?

Simple questions and frankly, they don't even come close to covering all that you need to know. What I am trying to get you to do is get VESTED in yourself. What works for the person above me may not work for you. What i do may not work for you.

Is this hard? God bless it, yes it is. Giving up all sweets and grains? Hell yeah it's been hard. But I want off this wheel. I want to go a day where I am either not thinking about my weight, my food or my too tight clothes. I need to get where I need to be and keep a proper lifestyle change. I am ready to be an adult and take responsibility for what I have done to myself.

There, I said it.
  • myplacetohide
    myplacetohide Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i just realized the ED stands for eating disorder. Disregard EVERYTHING i said.

NO ONE with an eating disorder should venture into a diet without regular and continual doctoral and dietary support. Even with my health issues, I would not attempt any dietary changes without doctors consent and REGULAR visits. (every 4 weeks)
  • rjbram
    rjbram Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Diet composition has no bearing on body weight.

xpRIZCA.png

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/55/2/350.full.pdf

The only affect diet composition has on your diet is to help or hinder adherence. In other words, you may be able to adhere to a diet longer by sticking to less palatable or less calorie-dense foods.

That is an interesting study, but it is not the same as people eating different ratios of macronutrients out in the real world. I think that study had people in a metabolic ward, getting completely controlled liquid food, with no access to food on their own. I think the Low carb, high fat crowd would argue that eating more refined carbs not only provides calories, but also increases your drive to eat more. Thus, making it much harder to stay within a defined healthy intake range.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    That is an interesting study, but it is not the same as people eating different ratios of macronutrients out in the real world. I think that study had people in a metabolic ward, getting completely controlled liquid food, with no access to food on their own. I think the Low carb, high fat crowd would argue that eating more refined carbs not only provides calories, but also increases your drive to eat more. Thus, making it much harder to stay within a defined healthy intake range.

Of course it does. That's why I specifically said:

But in terms of calories in, it makes no difference to your body or what it does with your fat mass.

What it does to you behaviorally is an entirely different issue.