Weighted hula hoops

Options
Does anyone here use/have used weighted hula hoops? I'm thinking of buying one, but I want to make sure the extra money is worth it, or should I just stick with the plain cheap light hula hoops?

Replies

• JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Anyone?? :ohwell:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I can't even master a regular hula hoop.
  • phillrn
    phillrn Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    hmmm...I've never actually encountered one of these...interesting concept though, I think:)
  • daisyellow
    daisyellow Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My little brother bought one for me a couple years ago, and I really enjoy it. I don't use it as much as I ought to, but it's a really fun way to work your core muscles.

The one thing to be aware of is that you'll probably get bruised a bit the first few weeks, since hula-hooping with a weight does apply quite a bit of pressure around your midsection.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I used to use one and had a nice sexy waist when I did (I have no room anymore unfortunately). You have to use it consistently and be prepared for some bruises and soreness. I'd start with 2 days a week and work your way up. Eventually you will be able to use it every day with no problem. Just be careful where you're hooping since those things are heavy! lol
    Also, don't expect immediately results. It will take time but it will be worth it. Make sure to measure your waist before you use it. I'd measure again after a month of consistent usage. I'd recommend a plan of 20 minutes a day 5 days a week.
  • deannasueknutson
    deannasueknutson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have too been interested in getting one too!! They look cool and it could be something to do at home easily. However, I wish I could try one first before buying one. They aren't that expensive, but expensive enough if I try it a few times and don't like it.
  • TMagical
    TMagical Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have one and use it on & off.

Like others have said, bruises & some tenderness may happen. Will you be taking a hooping class? I only ask b/c they are out there and hooping has a huge following right now, especially in my area. I don't go to any hoop classes, but I know there are out there and can provide strenght type training (similar to using low impact bands I would say).

I had a hard time when I started. This was not hooping like I did in grade school and I struggled to keep that sucker up for more then 10sec at a time. Now I can keep it up for the better part of 5 - 6min and have found that the more I stick with it, the easier it gets (who woulda thunk?)

I think they are totally worth it but don't buy one of the fold up weighted ones. Get an actual hoop. I aim for at least 30 min of hooping a day & sometimes will challenge my daughter to see who can keep it up the longest.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm starting with the shake-weight then moving up to the hula-hoops next month.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who used a weighted hula hoop in combination with counting calories and she lost quite a bit of weight with it. Any activity is better than no activity!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I go to hula hoop classes once a week.
    You do enough exercise without any added weight!
    We each had a custom made hoop. They aren't like the toy ones.
    Your hoop should stand from the floor to your belly button in height.
    They are also thicker than the toys.
    It's actually really easy to make your own hoop just like our teacher did. You can Youtube it.
    She is a performer and has been doing this for years, I've never seen her use a weighted one.
    I will ask her next week.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I bought one last year from www.hoopgirl.com I really like it. It is collapsible, and 2-lbs. This was the only model that they could ship to Canada.. I ended up paying almost $ 50.00 duty fee, but my stomack got really flat, so it worth every penny.
  • nicupson
    nicupson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Loved my weighted hula hoop! Lent it out and never saw it again. Still - a weighted hoop is completely different than a regular hoop (besides the weight). They heavier ones are a bit easier to get a hang of, but that being said, you probably don't want to start doing some of those over the head / arm / neck loops like you can with a regular hoop!

Like the others have said, bruising around the hip bones is to be expected at first. Still, it's great if you have the room. I used to hang out in front of the tv and hoop for 15 to 20 minutes.
  • TMagical
    TMagical Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Loved my weighted hula hoop! Lent it out and never saw it again. Still - a weighted hoop is completely different than a regular hoop (besides the weight). They heavier ones are a bit easier to get a hang of, but that being said, you probably don't want to start doing some of those over the head / arm / neck loops like you can with a regular hoop!

Like the others have said, bruising around the hip bones is to be expected at first. Still, it's great if you have the room. I used to hang out in front of the tv and hoop for 15 to 20 minutes.

Same here, I would put on NetFlix, usually Firefly, and try to hoop the entire episode. Could never keep it up the whole time, sadly, but I would definitely get warm and have to open my sliding door.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I used to hula hoop all the time....Just put on good tunes, and twirl away! The hoops I've been looking at range from $40-$60. I will only be doing this at home, if I go to a class, I'm sure I'd be hitting other peoples hoops. Lol I did try a friends weighted hoop before, but hers had what look like finger grips on the inside of it.....which hurt like hell! The ones I've been looking at are smooth on the inside, do the smooth ones hurt as bad?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Weighted ones make hooping easier, it's not an attempt to burn more calories!

I got one for Christmas, and I'm trying to do a bit each day.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I, personally, can't buy a hoop without trying it out. I've found that a small amount of weight, along with a larger hoop, work well for me. I can't hoop with the smaller/lighter hoops, because I'm not that good at it. :laugh: If you have any way to test the weight on a hoop before you buy it, you should. Some are too heavy and just leave me with bruises.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm starting with the shake-weight then moving up to the hula-hoops next month.

"Underestimate the power of the weighted hula-hoop you do, my young Padawan - hmmm!"
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's actually really easy to make your own hoop just like our teacher did. You can Youtube it.
    She is a performer and has been doing this for years, I've never seen her use a weighted one.

^^ This! I hula hoop pretty much every day, with a normal, non-weighted trick hoop - and it burns plenty of calories without having any extra weight!

If you buy a weighted hoop you are never going to be able to use if for tricks - hooping around your arms, or over your head, or chest or leg hooping - which seems a shame.

I'd like to echo the belly button thing - don't buy a little child's hoop - it's geared for child height.

Good luck!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    That's interesting - my (non-weighted) hoop comes to around my chest (I'm 5'3") and I am struggling to keep momentum without the hoop coming down my legs to the floor. Is my hoop too big for me I wonder?
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options

^^ This! I hula hoop pretty much every day, with a normal, non-weighted trick hoop - and it burns plenty of calories without having any extra weight!

If you buy a weighted hoop you are never going to be able to use if for tricks - hooping around your arms, or over your head, or chest or leg hooping - which seems a shame.

I'd like to echo the belly button thing - don't buy a little child's hoop - it's geared for child height.

Good luck!

They can do tricks with the weighted hoop too. YouTube has many videos.