New body, new hobby

Options
I feel like most of last year, weight loss was my hobby. Counting calories, posting and reading in these forums, learning about exercise, all that stuff.

Well now I'm in maintenance. Have been for a couple of months, and it's going well. So, new hobby time. I got myself a wood lathe for Christmas, and I'm trying my hand and making wood stuff. Well that ended up with me having a bunch of wood pens around. Only so many pens a man needs, you know. So I opened an etsy shop to sell them...

Anyone else have or looking for a new hobby now that you're in maintenance? I guess before losing weight my hobby was eating. A lot. :)

Replies

• stevepax
    stevepax Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Nobody starting up any new hobbies, huh?
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Well not so much a hobby but now that I am at goal I am focusing on fitness goals instead of weightloss goals. I want to be able to run 13.1 miles and increase my strength and get into long distance road biking!
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's winter, I'm still hibernating.

But good lord those are lovely pens.
  • GeorgeL583
    GeorgeL583 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I took up brewing beer as a hobby, go's well with my fitness goals haha.
  • IslandLaydi
    IslandLaydi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely in love with hiking i now go hiking every weekend here =) I gotta check out your pens
  • echoslug
    echoslug Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not quite in maintenance yet but very happy with my weight and current fitness routine. So I've finally started costuming again! Didn't see much pointing in making costumes while I was loosing weight since I'd just have to alter them later but now that I'm less than 5 pounds from my goal it's great to be sewing again.
  • cherryblossomrose
    Options
    I'm still struggling with keeping the weight off but, hey, beautiful pens.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've taken up squash again after a break of more than ten years. Mostly so I can play my son (one of the few sports where I can compete against him!).

Going to join my local club and start playing league games to see what level I can get back to. Buying myself a new leg brace for my birthday as my old one is more worn out than I am!! Dragging 30lbs less around the court is a big help though.

Hopefully the youngsters I play will take pity on an old fart in a leg brace?
    :wink:
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I got myself a wood lathe for Christmas, and I'm trying my hand and making wood stuff. Well that ended up with me having a bunch of wood pens around. Only so many pens a man needs, you know.

You should try making pool cues!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    While getting to my goal weight I started running, something I never, ever liked or thought I would do. Amazingly I found I love it and I pretty much run 6 days a week now. I work from home so even if I have to fit it in around meetings, it is really nice to have the flexibility to just slip on my running shoes, grab the leash and my dog and off we go. I have run 3 half marathons and a handful of shorter races. Oh, I also got a puppy (now 18 mos) who needs lots of exercise and loves to run with me! We have started doing agility training too which also keeps us both moving. I guess I really have 2 new hobbies now!
  • stevepax
    stevepax Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's winter, I'm still hibernating.

But good lord those are lovely pens.

This made me laugh. I feel like hibernating every morning when it's time to get up to go to the gym.
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Your pens are beautiful! I am not to maintenance, but I enjoy making jewelry & I am learning the art of soldering. I'm looking forward to the day I feel confidant enough to open my own etsy store!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    marathoning! Boston, SF, and Chicago!
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Im still counting calories and im in the process of making a new etsy shop for signs and such for babys.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you could always pick up heavy lifting to go along with your maintenance level …starting strength is a good resource...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Sewing! I had to adjust all my old clothes, so bought a new sewing machine and did them. Made a quilt for my son. Then started making new clothes.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    New hobby: triathlon. Doesn't leave much time for other hobbies unless you count swimming biking and running. But I love it. ;)
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Not at maintenance yet but being in better shape has made some of my hobbies more enjoyable, like snowboarding and hiking/backpacking. And with not eating as much/learning moderation I've found other ways to stay entertained, like reading in the evenings after dinner rather than continuing to snack until bed time.
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Baking, cooking, experimenting in the kitchen! Some times I try for making 'healthier' versions of stuff, other times I just say 'stuff it' and make the full-fat, high-sugar cookies ... and eat most of the dough before they make it to the oven! Just made myself a quinoa protein bar with quinoa, peanut butter, raisins and almonds - very VERY yummy, and something I would never have tried beforehand.
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Not a new hobby, but I build custom dollhouses and make the miniature furniture to go in them. Friends say I should sell them - but they are so labour-intensive, I would end up being paid about 50 cents an hour! So i do it for the fun.

In maintenance for over a year now, but during the weight loss phase, found that working with my miniatures meant I kept my hands busy - and I couldn't snack, because I needed my hands clean for working with all the materials. :-)