First trimester pregnant women gaining to much weight

Hi
I recently found out I was pregnant. I'm about 9 weeks pregnant and sick all the time with nausea. The only thing that helps is eating carbs, but all I do is eat carbs and sleep. I used to have so much energy and used to workout and eat clean. Now I feel like I have taken ten steps back. I'm trying so hard to.eat healthy and workout but have absolutely no energy. I also try to eat healthy foods which I used to eat but the thought of veggies and salads make me sick. Anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    When I was pregnant, the thing that helped me the most was figuring out how many calories I need to eat to sustain myself and the little one growing inside. The numbers I researched were for what my total energy expenditure was calorie-wise and then I found a recommendation of only adding 100calories for the first trimester, 200-300 for the second trimester, and 300 calories for the third trimester. What the calories are will depend on your stomach tolerance, etc that comes with the fickle nature of pregnancy, but when I realized I only needed equivalently one extra slice of bread or piece of cheese, it helped me to not overeat but also feel settled in the amount I was intaking.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 476 Member
    When it comes to morning sickness I know all too well what you are talking about. I also had to pig out on carbs to keep from feeling like I wanted to die... Once it passed I just made a point of eating healthy and on point for the rest of pregnancy to keep my weight gain around what was reccommended. Don't let a worry about gaining a couple pounds too much make you make yourself suffer and be miserable. Isn't worth it!!
  • snats24
    snats24 Posts: 2 Member
    Exactly the same happened to me, for the whole first trimester I was on the 'yellow food diet' (crisps, bread, pasta, biscuits etc) - a complete contrast to my extremely healthy pre-pregnancy diet and I have definitely gained weight (I daren't get on the scales!). I tried smoothies, ginger all the usual stuff and none of it worked. Salt n vinegar crisps were my go to!
    The good news - I'm now at 14 weeks and my nausea has subsided and I'm able to eat more normally, although I'm still keeping the carbs as they make me feel better.
    I'm now tracking my food partly because I got into the habit of overeating and partly to check my macronutrients. I've altered the calorie goal and nutrients to 20% protein, 30% fat and 50% carbs (based on research) and am trying to eat healthy fats. Fingers crossed that my weight will stabilise.
    I too am struggling with veggies but find them much easier to eat raw or hidden in a pasta sauce or veg curry. Veg and hummous is a good snack.
    Finally the best advice I've had is to forgive yourself and do what you need to to survive and have a healthy pregnancy. Eat clean when you can - that might not be until after you've given birth!