Gained four pounds over the weekend...

Options
It's been very snowy here, and so I've gotten a bit lazy withy morning workouts knowing the walks between busses will be that much harder (the last time we had a real snow storm was 2008). I have gone a bit over my calorie goal a few days, and been distracted at work and forgotten to log foods, but in general I've been pretty on track this week inspite of not exercising.
I know to expect some water weight fluctuations but four pounds seems crazy high to me, and my knees and hips are still too sore for me to want to get back into my morning jog routine.

Anyone else have similarly large amounts of fluctuation? Should I just suck it up and get back on the exercise wagon?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's water...

You'd have to eat 14,000 calories over maintenance to gan 4 lbs of fat.

I've had 6+ lb swings overnight dependent upon diet or a heavy lifting day.
  • jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 4 lbs of fat in 1 weekend...its just a fluctuation. I promise. Just keep it up and you will be back down to what you were before in no time. Water weight sucks. As a woman, bloat sucks. It is all part of the journey. I am pretty sure my sclae is the devil and I am really tempted to throw it away. Why do we let a number on a scale determine how happy we are? Anywho, just get back on the wagon and don't worry about it. I know that sounds easier than it is, but trust me it will all work out in the end.
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    Haha, I didn't assume it was fat, I don't really know what I logically thought it could be otherwise though.

I guess I was just surprised the most water weight I've ever gained was 1.5lbs and it dropped back within a day.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Haha, I didn't assume it was fat, I don't really know what I logically thought it could be otherwise though.

I guess I was just surprised the most water weight I've ever gained was 1.5lbs and it dropped back within a day.

I gained 2lbs while at the gym, sweating hard, and drinking a lot.

So, lots of sodium over the weekend?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself so often if normal fluctuation is going to drive you crazy.
  • MarKayDee
    Options

I gained 2lbs while at the gym, sweating hard, and drinking a lot.

So, lots of sodium over the weekend?
    Not especially? Maybe a little bit more than I usually consume, I don't really eat very much of it normally so it is possible the little bit I've had this weekend was a lot for me.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree it's water. I am on a low carb diet and if I go off my plan, I can gain an insane amount of water weight. Good news is, I can also lose it quickly once I reign in my eating.

Also, if you're ovulating or due for your period within the next few days, it could be due to fluid retention from those things.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    [pokes you in the gut]

quit being a slacker and get back to your scheduled workout regimen. You know you should even though it is mostly water.
  • KatherineEO
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself so often if normal fluctuation is going to drive you crazy.

This. People seem to put so much emphasis on the scale when in reality your weight will fluctuate almost daily. Just keep working at it and don't look so much at the scale.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Most likely it's something causing water weight:

More sodium than usual
    More carbs than usual
    Exercise (muscles sore?)
    Dehydration
    Time of Month (horomones)

or you just ate/drank later in the day yesterday than usual and less water has had a chance to leave your system.