How/can you stop gaining water weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Really, every 4 weeks? I have just cancelled ww and they tell us to do it weekly! might try that saying that though, i'd end up sneak peaking ha ha

He's saying to look at the trend over 4+ weeks, not to weigh only every 4 weeks. That way you see the trends and not just the daily fluctuations. You can weigh yourself daily, but if you're going to freak out about a gain, I'd recommend not to. Weight loss isn't linear, so your weight isn't going to be going down all the time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why are we worried about water weight here?

At any rate, you can't stop it...you can mitigate water retention but you can't stop it...it's a necessary bodily function.

- drink plenty of water...when you dehydrate you actually retain more water...consumption of water helps to flush out sodium and other stuffs

- reduce sodium

- get around 1.5x potassium as you do sodium and otherwise keep your electrolytes and PH in balance

- don't use your muscles...i.e. don't workout...stress on your muscles causes water retention due to the need to repair these muscles...personally, I think the benefits of regular exercise outweigh any water retention concerns, but that's just me.

- eat fewer carbs
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I just wondered really, just waned to reduce the chance of a gain, through it being water.

You can't completely eliminate gain from water weight, it's natural. You can reduce it somewhat as other people have mentioned. It's best to just realize that your body is going to fluctuate up and down naturally throughout the month (and even from day to day sometimes). You need to just look at the overall downward trend of weight loss and not be sidetracked by the fluctuations.
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    -lower sodium,
    -increase potassium (water retention is typically as a result of the sodium/potassium balance, most get too much sodium so increase potassium to balance the 2)
    -stop working out (I don't recommend this action, but when working our, especially if a new routine or increased intensity, your muscle will store water to aid in recovery and protect them)
    -drink more water

This. Or the best option: don't worry about water weight. Why would you care unless you had to make weight for a competition?

That's what I was wondering...

Not to speak for OP, but when I'm retaining a bunch of water (definitely happens around my cycle), it's very physically uncomfortable. My stomach area swells and bloats to the point that my clothing bothers me and I can "feel" my midsection. Lucky for you if the only way you notice water retention is on the scale, but it is very uncomfortable for some people.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    -lower sodium,
    -increase potassium (water retention is typically as a result of the sodium/potassium balance, most get too much sodium so increase potassium to balance the 2)
    -stop working out (I don't recommend this action, but when working our, especially if a new routine or increased intensity, your muscle will store water to aid in recovery and protect them)
    -drink more water

This. Or the best option: don't worry about water weight. Why would you care unless you had to make weight for a competition?

That's what I was wondering...

Not to speak for OP, but when I'm retaining a bunch of water (definitely happens around my cycle), it's very physically uncomfortable. My stomach area swells and bloats to the point that my clothing bothers me and I can "feel" my midsection. Lucky for you if the only way you notice water retention is on the scale, but it is very uncomfortable for some people.

I'm going to have to agree with this. I bloat like crazy from working out in particular (even when well hydrated? wtf?), and it's very noticeable. Noticeable in a, "These pants you wore an hour ago are now tight" way. One of my earlier posts on here was asking, "Does anyone else look pregnant post-workout?," lol...
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Drink a TON of water. We need at least half our body weight in ounces every day. That means a 200 lb person needs 100 oz water.

Absolutely not true!

My sister had a doctor tell her that and I showed up at his office with scholarly articles to refute that. She was freaking out so much about drinking 120oz of water (which is like 15 glasses a day...when you are only up for about 13 hours a day!) that she was spending half the day in the bathroom and the other half feeling nauseous.

Strive for about 8 glasses of water a day. Also remember that things BESIDES actual water have water in them.

I agree with other people's suggestions about other ways to improve water retention. I just am really passionate about people who say to drink 1/2 your body weight ... pffff!

You dont have to drive 8 8oz glasses.
    Drink til your urine is a pale yellow.
    Some people are well hydrated at 6 8oz glasses or less or more
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Really, every 4 weeks? I have just cancelled ww and they tell us to do it weekly! might try that saying that though, i'd end up sneak peaking ha ha

He's saying to look at the trend over 4+ weeks, not to weigh only every 4 weeks. That way you see the trends and not just the daily fluctuations. You can weigh yourself daily, but if you're going to freak out about a gain, I'd recommend not to. Weight loss isn't linear, so your weight isn't going to be going down all the time.

That is what i am saying. Weight, just like inches or body fat %/body composition are many data points to determine success. Success can also include cholesterol numbers, improved blood pressure, resting heart rate or other fitness goals (like lifting heavier). It's not just about weight loss, it's seeing improved trends over weeks, months and years to determine success. For me, I don't care about weight loss, I want fat loss. So i strive to maintain my muscle and cut body fat. Personally, I rather be 185 lbs and 10% body fat, then 175 lbs and 14% body fat. Because my overall composition will be much greater at 185.