Yoga pants for men

The place where I train doesn't carry them; only women's.I'm thinking about getting a pair and would most likely buy online. I have a few questions.

1. How are they different than just sweat pants other than the additional $40?
2. I prefer a very light fabric and 3/4 length. Anyone have good experience with a specific make and model that fits that criteria?
3. What are the advantages to compression style over loose fitting yoga pants?

Replies

• midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    1. They're thinner and usually are made of moisture wicking material.
    3. Pants/crops that are tightly fitted around the bottom of the leg, like leggings, will not ride up your leg. Are you planning on doing yoga or floor exercises? If so, I personally prefer pants/crops that are tightly fitted because I cannot stand having my the bottoms of my pants move up during exercises. If you're asking about actual compression tights, versus just tightly fitting pants, the benefits are supposed to be improved circulation, reduced fatigue, and faster up recovery.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    FFS, check out lululemon.

I have their shorts for yoga, and it's unfreaking real how comfortable, high quality, and properly vented the are for yoga. It's a pleasure to wear and sweat like a hog in.

They're about middle of the road for cost, but absolutely amazing.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Go get them in a store, not online, so you can try them on.
    I personally don't spend money on brand name workout stuff. Cheap sweatpants work just fine. And i do have expensive ones i got as a gift, so i know the difference. Not worth the money.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    No.....no no no no.......no.....no
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Men should never wear yoga pants.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    If I looked the way I want to, I would just wear cycling shorts all the time to the gym, they're just so comfortable. But I don't know if I could bring myself to wear yoga pants.....
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    My fiancée is an avid yogi and runs into issues finding proper yoga pants and suggests the prAna brand. Primarily their "flex" pants. He usually looks for them at REI.

also....regarding all the no no no's in this topic: not all yoga pants are skin tight leotards. They are flattering, loose fitting yet supportive. Same goes for good women's yoga clothing. In the end they are just trendy, better quality sweatpants that have a little more breathing ability. Wear what makes you comfortable.
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Also....look for reenforced crotches. As a yoga instructor ...I've seen a few accidental pant splits.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    I personally prefer the loose fitting yoga pant. I get mine from girlskirtmissions.com.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Oh....Hellllllll Nawwwwww! Wear compression shorts/pants, at least they're functional, they're tight and help prevent lactic acid buildup in the muscles, which helps prevent muscle soreness. Just. Don't.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Could not do that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just like I could not do "manties"

ay_108760313-300x217.jpg
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Just no.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Men should never wear yoga pants.

- but they should definitely wear something.
  • songbird1960
    songbird1960 Posts: 3 Member
    Go to lululemon and try on the yoga shorts already. Especially if you are doing hot yoga. Nothing worse than standing behind a guy wearing regular shorts that are crawling up the bum!!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    I dunno, they seem pretty cool for men. All martial arty
    male_y3680_yogapants_forestnight_front_3.png
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member

Those are awesome.

These are the style I wear

452b9c0513cbd0665c79b0b_m.jpg
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Ok, well that ain't to bad.
    I was thinking they would be like women's yoga pants. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member

Oh I like those!
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Grappling tights for guys are a thing. Worn to keep from getting all scraped up from hours of wrestling on the mats.

I welcome you to make fun of them to their face :) It's usually only the higher level guys that spend many hours a week on the mats that wear them...

GT005-2.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Meggings?
    enhanced-buzz-26659-1390303412-0.jpg

Seriously though, the two previous posters with the actual yoga looking pants look like good options.