0.3 lbs lost....ugh!

maroon58
maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
i weigh myself every tuesday and i only lost .3lbs....what am i doing wrong? i have exercised every other day and been eating right. i have in the past 2 days decided to actually eat my calories, not all of them but just a bit. my problem is, at night i am never really hungry and i hate the idea of having to eat. i know the calculations and i know i have to but does anyone struggle with this? what are some good snacks to eat at night, i don't like going to bed with a full stomach.

yesterday, i tried a jm workout on cox demand and am soooo sore this morning, lol! i think i am going to pick up her dvd today, i really like her style. do you think that will help me lose some weight? thanks everyone for your help! i know this is a slow process, i am not going to give up like i would've done in the past.

Replies

• rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Patience.
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    I hear ya! I lost .6 for 2 weeks and I weigh in tomorrow after skipping last week. I can only give you the advise that I gave myself. Keep going.....Don't get discouraged! The most important thing is that you are making the right changes.
  • I know. I also weight myself on Tuesday mornings. I gained 0.8 this week, even thou I was under my calory goal and above my exercise goal. I also know that I had lost weight during the week because of a weight in I had on Saturday (doctors rendez-vous). Guess it's only a bad timing. Keep courage. :smile:
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Patience.
    Seriously. You LOST 0.3 lbs. What are you complaining about? You didn't gain, or maintain, you LOST. Celebrate! A loss is a loss. Who cares if it's 2 lbs. or 0.1 lb. you are obviously doing everything right if you're losing.
    Congratulations on your loss!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    a loss is a loss! be proud! take measurements too - they are often more telling than the scale. remember - the scale is two-faced...you want to know what it has to say on occassion, sure, but make sure you are doing all this for *you*, not the scale!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Two weeks ago, I had almost 2,000 calories left over (1,200 a day plus exercise calories, that's what was left on the table). I lost half a pound. Last week, I ate all my calories plus 400 and lost 1.5.

I think that the body has a point where it needs a certain amount of calories to burn enough to cause a larger weight loss. If you go over that point, you maintain or gain. If you go under, you lose more slowly. You just have to find that point.

You also have to keep in mind that everyone is different and they lose at different paces and you may just be a slow loser. The positive side is that you're LOSING weight. It may only be .3 pounds, but imagine how you'd feel if you'd gained .3 pounds instead.
  • Here in the UK we really only go by half-pound measures, so that would've been a maintain on my scales..so, on the flipside its 0.3lbs of a lb just 0.2lb next week and thats half a pound gone :) I know its hard to stay motivated and I KNOW its tough when they don't say what you want, but you are doing something truly amazing for your body right now and with that you feel some pride :) xx
  • dtcauley4
    dtcauley4 Posts: 110 Member
    It happened to me to. I lost under a pound for the first 3 weeks. Than on week 4 I lost 2 lbs. Then 3 lbs the next week. Hang in there!:glasses:
  • Remember - muscle weighs more than fat so you may be gaining muscle mass while loosing fat. The exchange is positve as muscle ultimately burns more calories.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    If you're sore your muscles are probably retaining some water from the hard workout. :) .3 pounds a week is NOT bad considering you are already in the "healthy" zone. I am your weight now (134) and since starting I have lost (if I am lucky) a half pound a week. This is with intense workouts of running (some days 10+ miles) and always staying under my goal.

Also it takes some time for your body to get used to any changes (such as eating exercise calories or more exercise, etc.)

Just keep it up and remember we didn't gain the weight overnight
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Its really disheartening when you dont lose any. Keep your chin up and your hard work will soon pay off :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Remember - muscle weighs more than fat so you may be gaining muscle mass while loosing fat. The exchange is positve as muscle ultimately burns more calories.
    No.

She'd have to be seriously body-building for months and months to gain even a single pound of muscle weight.

IF it's related to the exercise (as others have said), it's water retention.
  • rose1617
    Remember - muscle weighs more than fat so you may be gaining muscle mass while loosing fat. The exchange is positve as muscle ultimately burns more calories.
    No.

She'd have to be seriously body-building for months and months to gain even a single pound of muscle weight.

IF it's related to the exercise (as others have said), it's water retention.
    I gained about 13 lbs. of muscle and lost about 25 lbs. of body fat in 5 months of an hour of heavy weight lifting 3 times/week.
    It's not impossible.
  • rml_16
    Can I ask how you made that determination?
  • rose1617
    Weight and measurements as well as body fat/comp testing to determine how much body fat vs. lean muscle I had at the beginning and how much body fat vs. lean muscle mass I had when we re-tested (which was about 3 weeks ago).

EDIT--I also want to add that scientists have determined the average male can build between 1.5 to 5 pounds of muscle/month, the average female slightly less.
    So for me to have built 13 lbs. of muscle in 5 months is average with a good diet and heavy weight lifting (and for more reference, my beginning deadlift was around 95#'s, my max deadlift is now about 165#, back squats were originally around 75# and now is at 135# -- obvious significant increase in muscle).
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Two weeks ago, I had almost 2,000 calories left over (1,200 a day plus exercise calories, that's what was left on the table). I lost half a pound. Last week, I ate all my calories plus 400 and lost 1.5.

I think that the body has a point where it needs a certain amount of calories to burn enough to cause a larger weight loss. If you go over that point, you maintain or gain. If you go under, you lose more slowly. You just have to find that point.

You also have to keep in mind that everyone is different and they lose at different paces and you may just be a slow loser. The positive side is that you're LOSING weight. It may only be .3 pounds, but imagine how you'd feel if you'd gained .3 pounds instead.

I have to agree that there is a kind of sweet spot to calorie in take and weight loss for me also. I know that I have to eat all my food now to keep up the .5 a week loss I'm looking for. You maybe different, I can only speak for myself.

I also have to agree with the person who said if your muscles are sour they are in need of some repair, natural good repair not you've hurt yourself repair. But this will increase your water retention.

Remember this is for the rest of your life and you are extremely close to your ideal weight, I say this based on your goal I don't know your height so I'm assuming a little here, let your body have the time it needs to make this happen. Just keep learning and getting healthy and the weight will catch up in time.

Keep up the good work. Your doing it.
  • rml_16
    Weight and measurements as well as body fat/comp testing to determine how much body fat vs. lean muscle I had at the beginning and how much body fat vs. lean muscle mass I had when we re-tested (which was about 3 weeks ago).

EDIT--I also want to add that scientists have determined the average male can build between 1.5 to 5 pounds of muscle/month, the average female slightly less.
    So for me to have built 13 lbs. of muscle in 5 months is average with a good diet and heavy weight lifting (and for more reference, my beginning deadlift was around 95#'s, my max deadlift is now about 165#, back squats were originally around 75# and now is at 135# -- obvious significant increase in muscle).

I guess I should clarify: What method of body comp testing did you use? Some are more reliable than others.

The most recent study I've seen shows that women cannot built that much muscle mass that quickly without the aid of steroids. Perhaps my source was mistaken.
  • rose1617
    I believe your source was mistaken.
    But I'm just one person.
    Here's a few others
    http://weighttraining.about.com/od/succeedingwithweights/a/muscle_month.htm
    This guy says 1-2 lbs. which puts me above average but still right there
    http://www.ironmagazine.com/viewarticle-3995.html
    This all being said, (I'll let you do your own further research) I am what a lot of these websites would call a "mesomorph". Always very athletically-inclined, always in the upper echelon of every sport, always been at a surprisingly low body fat % even when I didn't look so great on the outside.

There is no doubt that this muscle build is rapid at first, but tapers off especially for someone like me who used to have 9% body fat and a ton of muscle and who, after several years, is re-starting a very serious workout regimen.
  • rml_16
    I'll have to do further research. My source was a friend whose source was a professional journal that published a study within the last six months.

But, like every other study, there's always going to be another coming behind it saying exactly the opposite!
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    thanks everyone! i know not to get down on myself i was just hoping for a better number, but i will take it:) just makes me want to work harder this week and eat my exercise calories. i really believe, after reading on the board, that this is the way to go. it makes perfect sense.
This discussion has been closed.