I gained back 30 pounds. :(

Options
So I lost 56 pounds.. . It took me 10 months... I kept it off for a year... Now I have gained back 30 pounds, quickly... like in the last 3 months, while still going to curves... I don't think its fair that I have to eat next to nothing, workout 5 days a week, and walk 5 miles a day and golf 3 days a week, and work 50+ hours a week in order to stay skinny. I am so frustrated. I don't know what else to do... so here I go with round two...I dunno If I have the steam to do it again. Or the willpower...

Replies

• Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi - i too gained back half the weight i lost last year.

:( boo

anyway, you can lose weight by lowering your calories so maybe lay off some of the exercise for now till you find its fun again.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    .I dunno If I have the steam to do it again. Or the willpower...

I think there's a balance between losing and gaining. I sympathize with you. But maybe instead of losing right now, just focus on maintaining. Just for now. Get used to tracking again. Don't overdo the exercise. Make better choices maybe than you were making yesterday while you were gaining, but TRACK THEM.

This is just a suggestion, since to maintain, surely you would have to work less to achieve that goal, right? I hear your frustrated, but I hate to think that you don't believe that you can be happy AND healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Then try something other than just cardio to increase metabolism. Lift some heavy weights to activate muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Then try something other than just cardio to increase metabolism. Lift some heavy weights to activate muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this...and keep counting calories, this site isn't just for weight loss it's for calorie counting for whatever reason you are counting...loss, maintenance or bulking.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Last year I stopped counting and I gained 25 pounds of the 85 I'd lost. I've since lost 20 of them and I really think that this time I'm just going to keep logging through maintenance. It doesn't take me very long to log and it does make me look at what I'm doing every single day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you gained it back?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Now I have gained back 30 pounds, quickly... like in the last 3 months, while still going to curves...

Why?
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Omg. I could have written this post! Soooo frustrating. Nothing at all haschanged, but i keep gaining. I had my thyroid checked and its fine. Not sure what to do!
  • COliver416
    COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So I lost 56 pounds.. . It took me 10 months... I kept it off for a year... Now I have gained back 30 pounds, quickly... like in the last 3 months, while still going to curves... I don't think its fair that I have to eat next to nothing, workout 5 days a week, and walk 5 miles a day and golf 3 days a week, and work 50+ hours a week in order to stay skinny. I am so frustrated. I don't know what else to do... so here I go with round two...I dunno If I have the steam to do it again. Or the willpower...

You need more lean body mass. On average, you shouldn't have to workout more than 4 to 10 hours a week to stay fit.

Second, whatever your maintenance calories are, deduct 20% from them, that's your maintenance calories. Metabolisms are slower after you've been overweight, and you lose roughly 20% of your metabolic ability. Lean body mass will increase that number, but, it's safe to say that you'll always eat a bit less than most your size.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Omg. I could have written this post! Soooo frustrating. Nothing at all haschanged, but i keep gaining. I had my thyroid checked and its fine. Not sure what to do!

weight gain is about taking in more calories than you burn. It's that easy.

You are eating over maintenance and gaining.

start weighing and logging food again...
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you! I started MFP in Feb 2010 and had lost 52 lbs by Feb 2011 and kept it off for 2 more years. Then the old unhealthy habits crept back in and I gained almost 10 lbs between January & June last year despite still working out a lot. My problem is junk food and sugar.

Then in June I got a bad soft-tissue injury in my left hip during a bootcamp and went from working out 5 or 6 days a week plus being fairly active outside the gym to not being able to exercise AT ALL for 6 months. I couldn't even walk my dogs and some days could barely walk from my car to the office. Instead of cutting back on calories I allowed myself to continue to pig out on junk and I gained another 15 lbs by the end of 2013! At least I know how it happened!

I never gave up logging food even when it was really bad (most days) and after months of physio just recently began to work out very lightly. Tomorrow I am meeting with a registered dietician to find out how many calories I really should be eating (compared to listening to a thousand different opinions on MFP) and in 10 days I start sessions with a personal trainer who specializes in injury rehab.

My advice to you is to never give up, you haven't failed, it's just a temporary relapse and you can get back on track! If I can do it, anyone can!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's really tough. You don't really realize it's a lifetime thing until you lose the weight then realize that you still have to be really careful about not eating too much once you are at maintenance (and I'm not even there yet!).
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I could have written this as well. Lost 60 quickly and kept it off for about 8 months. Then gained back 30. I gained because I cut back on exercise and ate more. My fault. This time around I am counting calories, lifting weights and staying more active. It is taking longer but it is worth it.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've gained back 15 of 66. I sympathize. :(
  • qstneverything
    qstneverything Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I was sixteen-seventeen I lost twenty kilos (About 44ish pounds) and managed to maintain for about two years before I began slowly putting it back on, then towards the end it started stacking on. Just before I joined MFP I was at my heaviest, I gained more than I lost (to be fair I'm now 21, so I'm going to weigh more than I did as a teenager)

The way I look at it when trying to keep motivated, is that do I really want to be that chubby person again? I got to a healthy weight and it felt great, I can either work hard to become that person again, or I can keep doing what I'm doing and make that a thing of the past, just a small phase where I looked great, like it wasn't meant to be.

No, I'm going to look great again. Just watch me.
  • IsaacHudson
    IsaacHudson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with going back to maintaining. Find what gets you stable and then when you are ready lose some weight.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've maintained for almost 3 years so far. How do I do it? I've kept logging calories consistently. And I'm going to keep logging them. it's really not that hard (it only takes a couple of minutes, make it a habit like brushing your teeth every day) and it's so worth it to be able to STAY in shape. Good luck on round two. You can do it! :flowerforyou:

ETA: I just thought that I should add another perspective. Not everybody wants to log all the time for the rest of eternity. My husband keeps it under control by watching how his clothes fit and checking the scale now and then. When things start getting a little tight, he jumps back on MFP for a bit. No need to gain back half the weight you lost. Just pay attention to how your clothes fit. When you start to see yourself gaining a little (don't wait until you've gained 20 or 30 pounds) start logging again.
  • sfinsterys
    sfinsterys Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 40 pounds back in 2003, and did pretty well maintaining for a long time, but eventually I gained 30 of them back. I joined Curves in October. I did not start getting results until I started doing the Jillian Michaels class once a week. It's killer, but ever since I have been going to them the weight has been steadily dropping off. I'm down 5lb in the last month. Give her a try.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Were you doing low calories?
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have seemed to gain back 15 pounds...I am trying HARD to get back on track...it is very hard.....I just can't seem to focus.....I will succeed though! I am SOOO pumped to lose it!!