Runner's High

Options
Hello MFP users! Something I have heard much about but have yet to experience is the mysterious runner's high. My husband and I try to run together a couple of times a week. I find that if I force myself to run for a certain amount of time, rather than a specific distance, I am more successful and gradually increase my speed naturally. I add time to our runs as I get in better shape. At the moment we are running for 40 minutes. When am I going to hit that high everyone talks about? What does it feel like? I'm really curious and anxious to get to that point in my fitness.

Replies

• AlexaRae12
    Options
    Thats odd, I usaully feel runners high after about 30 minutes of running...it's just a nice euphoric feeling in your head and your body. Drink plenty of water with those runs!
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lie.

Not really, I think everyone hits it at a different point though. The longest I ever ran was three and half hours and I was running off anger so I didn't feel the run, but I certainly didn't feel a high either.
  • McGruber03
    Options
    I'm 33 and training for my 3rd marathon. I did Chicago in '09, Birmingham AL in Feb 2010, and I'll be running the St. Jude marathon in Memphis, TN in December of this year. My stress has been almost non existent (I also work full time at a hospital and teach nutrition classes at a Community College), and my weight is easier to control. However, I have never experienced that "runner's high". I don't feel a rush or anything special, except for a general overall good feeling. After a run, I'm just ready for some food and a shower. I did an 18 miler this weekend which took me 3 hours and 24 minutes (I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination) and I was sore and tired for the rest of the day. So, I'm sure it affects people differently, but I've never actually acheived that high. I love running and how it makes me feel during the week, and I hope to never stop! I'm very new at running. I just started with half of a mile December of '08 and worked my way up to a marathon in 10 months. Even though I haven't gotten that high that they talk about, the overall good feeling and low stress levels I have is totally worth it. Good luck, and keep running!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it exists or not but I am hoping it does. I just started running last week and I am hoping it gets better...
    Good luck and I will keep looking for that runner's high
  • NavySailor
    NavySailor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh, there is such a thing as a runners high...it does exist, however it is different for everyone. There is no set distance or time. It is a state of mind and you cannot control when it comes or when it goes...Clear your mind and just run....
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was when I got to the point that I felt I could run forever. I've only hit it once in the early early morning. Maybe it was just the clear air.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP users! Something I have heard much about but have yet to experience is the mysterious runner's high. My husband and I try to run together a couple of times a week. I find that if I force myself to run for a certain amount of time, rather than a specific distance, I am more successful and gradually increase my speed naturally. I add time to our runs as I get in better shape. At the moment we are running for 40 minutes. When am I going to hit that high everyone talks about? What does it feel like? I'm really curious and anxious to get to that point in my fitness.

It's when the endorphins hit, suddenly there is no pain just a euphoria type of feeling. You feel like you can accomplish anything and nothing can touch you.

Only trouble is, it can't be brought on by will (well not that I am aware of anyway and if anybody does know how you do that, send me a message with instructions please :laugh: )
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Rule 1 for runners who get "runner's high"....don't talk about "runners high"!

I will say this. Why do people want to run? Why do you want to run? It certainly can't be because you want to sweat and put your joints through high impact activities.

Is because of the preception of a runners as healthy attractive people? That it burns a barge full of calories for the time involved?

All I know is, if following a run you don't feel a sense of pride in accomplishing something only a small percentage of our population can do, or won't do. And the general feeling that you just did something really beneficial to your health doesn't get you excited....you're probably not going to find a runners high.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

I will say this. Why do people want to run? Why do you want to run? It certainly can't be because you want to sweat and put your joints through high impact activities.

Is because of the preception of a runners as healthy attractive people? That it burns a barge full of calories for the time involved?

All I know is, if following a run you don't feel a sense of pride in accomplishing something only a small percentage of our population can do, or won't do. And the general feeling that you just did something really beneficial to your health doesn't get you excited....you're probably not going to find a runners high.

^^^^ I agree.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Oh don't get me wrong. I feel good and I'm excited to be increasing my stamina and strength. I feel great when the run is over. I just don't feel the euphoria or the ability to go forever mid-run. I guess I'm just going to keep on truckin and see what happens! :)
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Yes, "runners high" is a weird topic and the magic endorphins are mysterious indeed.

I do run a lot, and experience this all the time. For me it takes at least 30 minutes to get into a zone when everything works, then I just daydream and clear the mind. I don't really think about lungs, legs, or running, but my mind is crisp and I actually think. It will seem a bit crazy, but on trail runs I sometimes totally loose track of where I am, what mile I am on, but... I usually know what direction I am headed and pick up some que's for where I am. Sometimes an 8 mile run will turn into 12 or 14 because I am having fun.

Not to be too cheesy here, but it is very relaxing, believe it or not. BUT, I earned it after all the distance running I have done, so I am well past burning lungs and legs. While building my endurance it was all work, no euphoria there. Hang in there and hope you can get it too, it won't come for free.
  • Sarah101010
    Options

Well put! I have never experienced what I would call a "high" during running but I have experienced joy, a great feeling of accomplishment, and even pride. All wonderful feelings.. :) (training for my 4th marathon currently and have ran 3 1/2's)
    Whatever you feel, running is worth it, if you ask me. :smile:
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've had moments where I felt like I could run forever, but I'm not sure that's what I'd call a runner's high.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sarah, I guess it's not necessarily included in the marathon club either.

I love the different perspectives on this, I have always wondered. I can only account for myself, but my head is usually got a few bolts and shorted wires in it.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm bringing this thread back. I sometimes get a runner's high quickly and it is glorious. Usually though it is around 35-45 minutes in. Interestingly though, I literally have dreams of having a runner's high. I dream that I'm running up hills without feeling it. I feel like I can go on and on forever. Lol.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As a veteran runner of 20+ years, I have literally run tens of thousands of miles in my lifetime. All I can say about the legendary "Runner's High" is that it's elusive, like a Yeti. Sometimes you might only catch glimpses of it, and you are not going to see it on every run, but you're definitely most likely to encounter it when you relax and let your imagination take over. ;)
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Completed multiple ultras. Never had the runners high but I have had runners deep deep deep soul crushing lows. Usually around like mile 75ish.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I usually don’t feel great until mile 3 or 4. For some reason, I tend to feel really good around mile 7. I would not call it a “high” for me, more like just a sense of peace in that time between my body loosening up and feeling good, and then everything starting to hurt.

I don’t run 7 miles most days, so what I usually have is just a sense of accomplishing something before most people are out of bed :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I can either run long, or I can run hard to get that high. If I run really hard and fast, I only need about a mile to do it. If I'm running easy, it might take a few...And sometimes it's kinda rough getting started and I struggle during the first 15 minutes or so, but then I generally come out of it feeling pretty amazing. Not everyone gets it, though. Sometimes I get it while I'm still running, but usually it comes on after I'm finished. It's glorious.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    When I used to run, it always felt like hard work until I’d done 3 miles. After that, I’d feel amazing (until about 5-6 miles in, when it would feel hard again).