Does anyone do any of the Barre programs?

Options
I am looking to start at a local studio here and just wanted some feedback as to how people like it. I am 180 lbs so I am trying out a private session first before I try the class setting out. I have been working out regularly for a month now. 5-6 days a week -- Monday and Wednesday in cycling class, Tuesday and Thursday in a weights class, Friday cardio on the elliptical, and Saturday if there is time before my husband leaves for work. Sunday I usually take off. Hopefully I it will be a little easier for me to start now that I won't be starting from zero. If I continue on with the Barre class, I would drop cycling and do Barre, MWF.

Is it really hard to get started?
How fast until you noticed results?
Is Barre your only workout or do you alternate like I would?

Thank you :)

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've taken a couple of a Barre type class at one of my gyms. We used basically a slighted weighted PVC pipe. Since I haven't taken a traditional Barre class at a studio I can't compare it to that but it was lots of piles, squats, balance movements using the bar for stabilization. The way the class was designed the instructor did throw in some cardio dance moves along the lines of Zumba/Jazzercise throughout and floor work at the end. I liked it but I can't say I enjoyed it enough to go more then two or three times.
  • Phiallis
    Phiallis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't really know enough about it to comment, but looking at dancers and their fitness background, barre training sounds awesome to me.
    I would love to try it if there were classes nearby.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump
  • seyankura
    seyankura Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started taking barre classes during the second week of January. I'm training for a 10k and I was fairly not active before January and discovering barre. The gym where I take my classes has its own unique program which uses half of the hour of class doing core and arms work, and the second half of the class is spent at the barre doing leg work and utilizing core strength. It didn't take me long at all to start noticing the results--maybe two to three weeks tops, and I was taking the class 3-4 times a week and doing a few days of interval running. My lower body is looking the best it has in years and my core strength has definitely improved as well and I'm noticing I've lost inches off my waist. I HIGHLY recommend barre and I hope you love it as much as I do. The first class will kick your *kitten*--but don't let it deter you from coming back.
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have committed to one personal session with a local barre studio--I asked her to squeeze me in this week before I lost my nerve! I think that after one session I will know what to expect and it will help me feel just a little more confident to join a class. Afterward I think I will take advantage of the new member special and commit to going. The only drawback is how expensive it is! It will be worth it I'm sure!!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Good luck. It's always fun to try something new.
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love it. I do have lots of muscle gains! It's so much fun, and definitely is a good, hard work out!
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My first session went well! It was more difficult than I expected but I'm super excited for my first class tomorrow! I am glad I finally got up enough nerve to sign up. I put it off and put it off for so long because I was scared. Hopefully in 10 weeks I will see a transformation started!!!! :)

My next question is.... how to log it in the exercise log?