evening or night time workout

Options
Does anyone out there do their workout in the evenings?? If so - how close to bed time. I am SOOOO not a morning person, but am worried that by working out late in the day it's going to keep me awake at night. (I have been trying to work some exercise in throughout my day, but just wanted some feedback on other people who work out later).

Thanks

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It depends. I work out an hour before bed and be fine. You'll have to experiment and see what works. I'm in bed by 9:30 or 10, and I usually get my workout done before 8. Usually.... :wink: good luck!
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either, so during the week I do my workouts at home after work (rushing to the Y for a class can sometimes be a pain). When I get home, I relax for a while, have a snack, then do my workout and I'm done no later than 8, 8:30 at the latest.

Last night I had a great workout! I was out before 11:30 and slept like a baby.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to try it and see. I only workout at night or the evening when I don't get up and go in the early morning. I haven't had an issue sleeping afterwards. I prefer early training. My gym therapy before going to work. Plus my gym is usually packed after 5pm so I go at 5am. Again, you will have to experiment with it and see how if affects you.

If only my wife would let me put a power rack in our third bedroom. :angry: :mad: :explode:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I hate working out in the morning. I work out in the afternoon if I'm working out from home. I will do some evening programs at the gym.. I find for me personally that exercising after 9pm means I have a great deal of trouble sleeping because my energy is through the roof.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I'm on day shift I get home around 7. Change clothes and workout first thing. Then dinner and a bit of TV. Usually in bed by ten. Up at 0430.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have gone to the gym @ 4 am, but I really prefer after work, gets my aggressions out if it was a crazy work day... and I prefer to watch the news and drink my coffee in the morning.... So usually after 5 at the gym and no later than 7pm at home! Good luck :-)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I am typically an afternoon person, so around lunch time....
    But if the schedule doesn't permit, I can go after work, and hit it about 5pm......

Feels good.....

But I can see being wired if I were to wait til 8 or 9 pm and having issues sleeping.
  • vland2012
    Options
    I usually always work out in the evening , and I do just fine. I normally go about 7:00 and I'm in bed by nine. I would just try it out and see how it goes. I am defiantly not a morning person either.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I do mine a couple of hours before I sleep and I'm ok, but I've also been doing that for years, thanks to evening martial arts classes, so my body knows how to handle it. You might try learning to meditate right before or even *in* bed. It'll help you calm your mind and relax if evening workouts get you really stimulated. Just an idea!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I normally go to the gym at night. My campus has a shiny new recreation center, which is open all day but about a mile walk from my dorm, and quad gyms which are small and old but less crowded and they open at 6. Normally I go between 8:30 and 9:30, but I've gone as late as 10:15 (it closes at 11.) It doesn't interfere with my sleep any (quite the contrary) but I'm also not going to sleep for another 2-3 hours.

I like exercising last thing in my day because I feel tired but satisfied afterwards. There's nothing else I have to do, just shower and eat and relax :)
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually finish my workout 30 min to an hour and a half before I go to bed. It doesn't keep me up.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My BEST RUNS on the treadmill are at night.
    I feel like I'm warmed up perfectly, maybe from living out the day....
    When I finish I clean up and go to bed soon after.
    Sleep like a rock.
    Its a great feeling
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I usually work out around 8-8:30 ish after we put the kids into bed. Depending what and when I eat dinner, sometimes I have to delay it for a half an hr, so the food stays down ;)
    I am doing P90x3 , which is 30 minutes , and after I finish take a shower and head to bed around 9 ish. In bed I may watch a movie with my hubby or read, or browse or whatever and fall asleeep 10:30 ish. If anything hard evening workout makes me exhausted and want to go to sleep earlier. Sometimes I literally fell asleep a few minutes after we start to watch a movie in bed.
  • Sweatinglikeapigtolooklikeafox
    Options
    Depending on what shift I am on determines my workout time.
    I love working out later like 10pm as I am still full of energy, burn a hell of a lot more calories and generally take the days stress out on the gym equipment. Plus its a lot quieter at my gym after 8pm.
    I have never found it difficult to sleep after a late night workout, if anything after a shower I am ready for my bed so I can start again
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Just got home from the gym. It's 9:30. I like the late evening workout, unless I have evening plans, in which case the workout gets done immediately after work.

The system works for me. It clears my head and sets me at ease right before bed. I'm getting the best sleep I've ever had!
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the evening. I've tried working out in the morning, but I ended up feeling like I didn't have enough energy to get me through my day. Also, I'm not a morning person. Finding the motivation to drag myself out of bed to go to the gym = super difficult!

After I finish my shift at work, I like to have a decent-sized snack and relax for 30 mins before I hit the gym. I have tons of energy in the evening, and I don't have to keep an eye on the clock. I can stay an extra long time if I'm in the zone and kicking butt!

I'm not able to fall asleep immediately after a workout, but a couple hours later sleeping is not a problem at all.

Some people swear that morning workouts are better, but do what works best for you!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    I used to do them late, and still can if it is straight cardio, but I find the workouts I do now doing Metabolic strength training will keep me up most of the night if I do them in the evening.
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings and it doesn't keep me up, but I am usually done by two hours or so before bedtime. I eat dinner after I finish, which means I go to bed kind of soon after dinner, but it works OK for me. If I ate dinner first, I would not be able to work out well, I have learned. I take a shower after working out and before bed and it helps me to relax and fall asleep.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback - I really appreciate it. I think I will try to find some workouts to do at home (video) after the kids go to bed. If I do something around 8 - and don't go to bed til around 10-10:30 it sounds like I MIGHT be ok.

thanks again!