RANT!!!

Options
<begin rant/>

I had some bloodwork in December that prompted me to clean my act up health wise. I'd dramatically changed my diet, resumed exercising, and lost 15 pounds total and 2 pants size so far. (I lost some weight before MFP)

I have a male co-worker than makes frequent editorial remarks on what I eat; and it's gotten worse since I mentioned my efforts towards better health. Though the comments are never, "you are really making great choices!" It's always something negative like, "I saw you take that cake." Yeah, I did. It was a full cubic inch of cake and I added it to my diary.

What an a$$hat.

I'm doing just fine without the negative attitude. I know that negative feedback is some people's comfort zone; but that garbage doesn't motivate me to make good choices, it motivates me to announce, as I did today, "I am doing a fine job of managing my diet and don't need your negative feedback."

Thanks I feel better venting to people who understand that praise works wonders and the opposite will not accomplish anything posetive.

<end rant/>

Replies

• arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think if anyone had the nerve to say that to me I'd ask to see their Food Police identification badge, and congratulate them for being so advanced they, too, are aware you just ate something.

Perhaps the mature response, however, would be to ignore it, yourself he's just a ****head, and go about your day.

Congratulations on the weight and pants size loss by the way!
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks. We work closely enough that it'll be all right to request to see his official food police badge. I like that.

Boy though, he really made me angry; I actually made two typos in my OP. And truth be told, the ONLY reason he's saying anything is because diet is a personal issue for him; it really has nothing to do with me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'd say something snarky back....
    usually along the lines of "i see you went for the hobo hippy look today- or perhapys maybe you just broke all the mirrors?"

or usually-
    do you know how many calories that was? well no they say- probably XXXX.

big deal- it's in the budget. I'm allowed XXXX a day- and I have 500 more to go- you don't need to police my food- I'm adult enough to do it myself- that and I can do math- thanks but no thanks.

"sorry- not sure how my food choices require commentary from you"

sorry- not sure how your opinion on this cake I'm consuming- impacts my amazing dead lift"
  • mom2cmb2x
    mom2cmb2x Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have to eat at my desk frequently. It never ceases to amaze me how many people think that I want to hear their comments about my food choices! That is one reason I try not to say anything to anyone at work about dieting. But when you start losing, they notice! Complete strangers will come in and say, "Oh, that looks fattening." Well, not lately, because I have been trying to eat pretty healthy, but still, it is aggravating. Just smile and let it go if you can. They are really not worth the energy it takes to comment (unless it burns calories ' ) )
  • notyouraveragetalia
    Options
    I have a family member that does this. "Oh Natalia, how many calories does that cookie have? Did you go to the gym today?" But then will go on about how I shouldn't lose any more weight.

Some people don't know what to say to people who are successful. They think that "Hey!--this person looks great! Yet they have the nerve to look happy about life! WTH?! They should be suffering!"

Congrats on your weight loss, and enjoy having your cake and eating it too :flowerforyou:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Ignore, ignore, ignore. You don't have to justify or get defensive. He is an a--hat, don't let him turn you into a bit--y defensive woman when you are clearly successful and driven!
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    Some people are just negative. Just ignore the a$$hat and keep doing what you're doing. And obviously he has issues with his own eating habits and this is how he's dealing with it. Which is why he's an a$$hat. :laugh:

Keep up the good work in your journey!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    tell them how awfully ugly their _____________ is.

and when they get all butt hurt and offended- you can say "oh gee I'm sorry I thought it was give out unsolicited advice/opinions day"

and just look back down at your delicious cake and keep eating.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I saw you take that cake?!?! WTF? I'm dying laughing, and not at you, OP. Just that someone would have the nerve to say something so ridiculous, as if it's their right or duty to point out what you're eating and not eating. Seriously? omg lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I'd probably want to say something like 'yes, I manage to lose weight while eating cake, isn't it awesome?' or something.
  • sassyjae21
    Options
    I'd say something snarky back....
    usually along the lines of "i see you went for the hobo hippy look today- or perhapys maybe you just broke all the mirrors?"

or usually-
    do you know how many calories that was? well no they say- probably XXXX.

big deal- it's in the budget. I'm allowed XXXX a day- and I have 500 more to go- you don't need to police my food- I'm adult enough to do it myself- that and I can do math- thanks but no thanks.

"sorry- not sure how my food choices require commentary from you"

sorry- not sure how your opinion on this cake I'm consuming- impacts my amazing dead lift"

Those are all good. Or you could just tell them to F*** off. Usually works.
  • JoRocka
    Options

they give me the strong side eye for dropping the F bomb here.

Doesn't stop me- but yeah- fu*k off totally works LOL
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Some people just can't keep their nose out of everyone else's business. YOu had a good comeback! Just ignore him and keep doing what you're doing.
  • sassyjae21
    Options

they give me the strong side eye for dropping the F bomb here.

Doesn't stop me- but yeah- fu*k off totally works LOL

I know, same here lol. Dropping the F bomb is typically not encouraged in the workplace, but some people just need to hear it once lol. And you have to admit, it'd be hilarious to see their face when someone said it to them!:laugh:
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess ignorant busy bodies aren't isolated to my office :-) The stuff people think is all right to say is outrageous!

I like the responses, they help a lot. I was too flabbergasted to really think clearly; but I'm prepred now if it happens again.

You all rock and gave me since a nice recovery laugh.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    IGNORE!
  • CC_Maam
    CC_Maam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Feels good to blow off some steam at inconsiderate folks who think they have to mind other people's business. It is seldom helpful and more often detrimental.

However regardless of intent words do matter. The key is to attribute the weight to the words by the importance and value you give to the person addressing you.

One thing I learned a LONG time ago (about the era of primordial ooze I believe) how to best keep my blood from boiling or stress from overtaking me. It was something that takes practice and I can tell you it DID take practice but I am ever grateful to the person who handed it down to me and that was . . .

How much will it matter? (or how much do THEY really matter to me?)
    How much will it matter in 24 hours?
    How much will it matter in a week?
    How much will it matter a month?
    How much will it matter in six months?
    How much will it matter in a year?
    How much will it matter in five years, ten?
    How much will it matter in a lifetime?

It was instrumental in putting things, people and yes, words into perspective for me. Truth be told there ARE somethings that matter down the road but often we put way more importance on the words, thoughts and opinions of others than we should. When we live our own authentic lives we know we are living our lives in a way that brings us contentment and other naysayers well ... we know how much importance to put on their words.

So . . . make like a duck, let it roll off or simply tell him one of two things (with a smile of course) 1) when I need your expert advice I'll ask for it ... but for right now I'm doing just fine thank you. or . . . 2) My Mama told me long ago, "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all'" I'd appreciate it if you also took her advice from now on . . . and walk away with a smile on your face knowing you bearded the lion in his den and won! http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/beard+the+lion+in+his+own+den.html
  • CC_Maam
    CC_Maam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    chuckles . . . LOVE this one! :)
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    tell him to stick his opinions where the sun dosent shine. he is nothing but a fellow employee.

if it was me, id be telling him to *eff off and keeping his opinions to himself.