Early morning working out - Need motivation

Options

Replies

• KudraM
    KudraM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Right there with you . I don't get home until 9 pm and am usually wired until 11. My goal is 5 am , work out, down time before work. Not there yet, but others posts here sure help. Keep trying!
  • michellegrant146
    Options
    I just started doing the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels and its only a 25 minute workout so you would always have some time in your day to do it :) You should check it out :) I personally don't get up that early, I just do the program whenever I have the time in the day to do it :) since its only 25 minutes :)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Alarm starts at 5, but I admit I often hit snooze until 5:30 I must stop that, although that happens because I'm often not in bed until 11 or 12.

I have two little ones here.

What helps? I DO have an accountability group. Its on facebook though, but if you'd like to join, shoot me a message here.

Truly knowing I had to tell others if I did it or not made the difference. Plus, I love helping others and how can I say "get up early, just do it" if I can't??!!! So... I do. I feel better after I do but OH those first moments of getting out of bed.

my favorite line:
    Start working out before you mind realizes what you're doing!
  • vivre17
    Options
    I set my alarm at 5:30, but I don't get up til 6. I try to squeeze in a bit of cardio to get me going, maybe a 30 minute walk/jog/elliptical, or a 20 minute Zumba video. Then start to get ready for my 8am class:) My main workout usually happens after school.

I definitely don't *love* waking up at that time to exercise, but when it's that early, I'm less likely to feel the burn because I'm usually still lethargic. By the end of it, I'm sweating and I'm only just starting to wake up. The numbness, or rather the lack of awareness makes it easier!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    We should start an early morning group. :)
    I keep starting and then stopping my early-morning routine. I just end up saying "screw it" and turning my alarm off. Yet I know I have no time in the evenings.
    I need to start getting back up at 5:15. At least a couple days a week.
    I definitely agree with being in bed by ten, and already having workout clothes on.

I need motivation too!!! I had a good lifting routine going for a while, then slacked. :sad:
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off every morning at 5:09am and I lay in bed for 10 minutes trying to talk myself out of bed. You know what works? I ALWAYS feel better after I work out. I know I do and so that is my motivation to get out of bed. Like the others, I have my clothes, water and ear buds ready to go the night before. On the nights my husband is out of town, I sleep in my work out clothes.

I hope you find the motivation for yourself. Working out really does help wake you up in the morning and it feels great. I always feel better about myself knowing I'm one step closer to my goals.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Motivation may be needed at first, but it gets replaced by habit eventually, like brushing your teeth.

Is the problem going to bed on time, or getting up on time?

If you're just not sleepy when you need to go to bed, get up on time in the morning and workout anyway. You'll probably be tired enough the next night to fall asleep when you need to. It may take more than one time for this to work.

Getting up early in the morning is just awfull, but you can re-set your body clock with repetition. Get up at the same time every day, whether you're going to work out or not.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Some great advice and encouragement here! I am finding that my best time is in the morning too, I was working out after the school bus left and before work but find that is getting de-railed. I need to get up at 5 so I can workout before I have to get the kids ready for school. I HATE getting up - it doesn't seem to matter when I go to bed either. Hearing that after a few weeks it will get easier is great encouragement!
  • pchrysta
    pchrysta Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have two young kids, work full time and have a 2 hour commute (round trip)... my workout options during the week are 4:45am or 8:30 PM (after the kids are in bed).

I am a snooze queen and I've done it for so many years that I don't even realize I'm doing it! I have tried to move my alarm clock across the room and I just end up getting up, turning it off and crawling back in bed.

I failed to get up in time this morning but I'm just going to keep trying. I like the idea of having my workout clothes out and ready to go. I also am trying to have more of the morning routine stuff done in the evenings (kids clothes laid out, lunch boxes ready in the fridge, my work clothes picked out, etc) to make the mornings as quick and easy as possible.

I'm going to send you a friend request, maybe we can help keep each other accountable.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    First, getting enough sleep is key. Its much easier to get up. I have to be asleep by about 9:30 to get up for 5am.

I talk myself into it. I tell myself to just get up and get a cup of coffee and see how I feel. Then I tell myself to get dressed and see how I feel. Then I tell myself to get out the door (or treadmill in your case). Then I tell myself I can stop after 15 minutes. Generally, once I get that far, I will complete the workout.

Another trick is to have a video or audiobook that you only watch/listen to when you are working out. That way, you want to see what happens next.
  • dmiddy83
    dmiddy83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fitness Magazine just posted this quote today: "Exercise in the morning...before your brain figures out what you're doing."
  • mkgraz
    mkgraz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. On the harder mornings, I think to myself:
    "A tired workout is better than no workout."
    "I always regret when I don't do this first thing in the morning."
    "Breakfast always tastes better after a run."
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4 am three times a week to get ready and to the gym by 4:30am. I alternate those days with 5am wake ups for runs/cardio/yoga. I have a three year old. And with a lot of help from my husband we have developed a routine during the week. We are well oiled machines. We get home from work, cook, eat, play, bath time for my little monkey, and i am in bed no later than 8:30pm.

Once you develop the habit it becomes easier. Good luck!
  • stefi14
    stefi14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What I do is;

Before going to bed the night before, I put all my workout gear, filled water bottle and Ipod charging on my beside table. That way, when I wake up, I see everything and I'm more encouraged to do something that morning.

I understand how you've got no time. I go to school and come back tired. So mornings are the only time when I have no excuse for not working out
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    We should start an early morning group. :)
    I keep starting and then stopping my early-morning routine. I just end up saying "screw it" and turning my alarm off. Yet I know I have no time in the evenings.
    I need to start getting back up at 5:15. At least a couple days a week.
    I definitely agree with being in bed by ten, and already having workout clothes on.

I need motivation too!!! I had a good lifting routine going for a while, then slacked. :sad:

have set it up. good call.

one thing that helps, and is basically a reiteration of what everybody else is saying:

plan ahead: workout clothes ready. organized for next day (briefcase packed, lunch planned if not made). workout is organized (have idea of what you want to do).
    start out easier. work a sweat without drama. get used to it. you'll get there!

yay!
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Make it a Habit.
    Cue. Routine. Reward.
  • LosingIt7897
    Options
    I am a snooze addict.. and only recently was able to break the habit by trying out different alarm clocks on my smart phone.

The one I am using currently is called "Morning Routine" .. and it has an option to turn off alarm's via bar code scan. So I created two bar codes one by my night stand and one in my basement next to my weight bench. The first alarm goes off at 5am and I have to scan the bar code next to my bed.. then 15 minutes later the next alarm goes off which requires the bar code in the basement to be scanned..

It's the only alarm clock I found that consistently gets me out of been on the first alarm..
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    KICK OUT THE JAMS!!!! AM workout crew

made a page for us.

log workouts. share playlists. celebrate your successes. cheer each other on.

title inspired by the song by the MC 5

cheers
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    As others have said, preparation is KEY. My alarm goes off around 4:05am so that I can get dressed, have my pre-workout meal and get to the gym by 5-ish. I get EVERYTHING ready the night before - workout clothes, pre-workout drink, post-workout protein shake, work clothes, etc. I am on a very tight schedule in the morning because I have to catch a train into work. I have found that with my night before preparation, I can get ready for work in about 30-35 minutes.

I have been doing it this way for 3.5 years, and I love the routine and starting my day off by working out. Plus, there aren't that many nutjobs that voluntarily get up early to workout, so I almost never have to wait for any equipment at the gym! Just suck it up long enough for it to become a habit and you will be glad you did! :smile: :smile:

ETA: I am usually in bed by 8:30pm! Just call me "Grandma"! LOL
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm for 5:30 every morning and snooze it while I wake up slowly until around 6:00. I sleep in my workout clothes so that as soon as my feet hit the floor i'm going downstairs to my workout chamber before I have time to realize i'm too tired.

I've been going to bed around 9:00pm.

I'm also a single mother of 2 5 year old twin boys, work full-time and go to University (online). So I probably go to bed earlier than most would, but it works for me right now.