What do I need for home gym equipment?

Options
2»

Replies

• RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Talking about what's needed: a barbell and some plates. A bench and squat rack are nice to have and important. I wouldn't bother with dumbbells as long as we're talking about what's needed. I think you could get kettle bells, pull-up bar later but they are far from needed. Cardio equipment should be very low on the list. If you need real cardio, go running then come home and do burpees. Better than any treadmill.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    There are also good plans for powercages on the google if you have a dad or bf whose a bit handy - wish I'd done this instead of the rack.
    Ok, all of mine were a DIY effort, but I started off with a rack, then changed it to a cage.
    Even if you've got a comercial rack, bet you could make it into a cage one way or another by adding bits and drilling a few holes :).
    Presuming it's the safety bars that are important, I've heard of various ways to make them on their own - like using builders trestles.

Yes, it's definitely the safety bars that I need. Just can't get the nerve to get my squats up if I'm on my own. Trying smolov ATM to get the weight up but if that doesn't work my dad'll be getting roped in to fashion something that'll work for me (so I've got an escape route if I get stuck in the hole =D)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I do body weight exercises only. Some people think this is ineffective, but I have gained almost 3 pounds of muscle over the last 6 months. That is an insane amount of muscle mass for a woman of my age.

I only own 1 15 pound kettlebell. It's all I need.

Well done and totally agree.

My home gym consists of my yoga mat and a pull-up bar and my own body and happy with progress so far.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I do body weight exercises only. Some people think this is ineffective, but I have gained almost 3 pounds of muscle over the last 6 months. That is an insane amount of muscle mass for a woman of my age.

I only own 1 15 pound kettlebell. It's all I need.

Personally, I think this is the way to go. I do use, as mentioned, a Nordic Track Skier and have two 20 hand weights, but the rest of my workout is just using my body: push ups, crunches, mountain climbers, squat jacks, jumping jacks, running in place and so on.......
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A pull up bar

Read some good info here
    nerdfitness
    convict conditioning
    YAYOG
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ Agree.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Go buy a used squat rack or power cage, bench, barbell, and plates. You should be able to do pull ups off the cage, but if not get a pull up bar. Quality equipment will last forever, so there is no reason to buy new.
  • salevy
    salevy Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a stablity ball, exercise bands in 3 strengths, weights that range from 3-8 pounds, a shake weight, the handles to a jump rope, the pedals to the ellipital, a step, and a yoga mat. I also have posters so I know what type of exercies to do with them.

I'm looking to get the dumbbells that have 3 pound weights that have weights in 3 pound increments. The dumbbells themselves are 3 pounds. Each addition weight is 3 pounds. There are kettleballs that work the same way. I'm considering them as well.

Since I live in a 1 bedroom, space is at a premium and I'm looking to do things that don't take up much room.

I have Verizon as my provider and the On Demand button has a section for exercise videos. I can do those whenever I want, such as now. We currently have at least 9 inches of snow on the ground with plenty more coming.
  • fit4life76
    fit4life76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and have a lot of different equipment but the 2 things I couldn't live without are my kettlebell and my jump rope!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Bowflex 1090's and an adjustable bench which I can use for a full body workout in a pinch. I also find resistance bands are inexpensive and quite versatile. I also have an ever-expanding set of kettlebells that I'm slowly introducing into my workouts.

I still go to the gym whenever I can (especially for leg and back day, where I find the dumb bells a bit lacking), but I'm loving having some equipment at home. This is especially true lately, since I've been snowed in quite a bit the past few weeks. At some point I will probably look to expand to a power cage/barbell set, but for now that's what my gym memberships are for.