How does one "engage the core"?

Options
I constantly see during fitness videos and stuff to engage your core as you are doing different things. I'm confused, how exactly does one do this? When I asked somebody they said just tighten the muscles around your tummy. I don't know if I simply don't have control over my body or what but I don't really know how to do that lol.

I'm not very fit atm, I've only been doing my journey for a tiny bit under a month now and this first month I focused mainly on tracking my calories and adjusting my diet to fit my macros. Is it something you learn how to do as you become more physically fit?

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The best way I could describe it is how would you react if you knew someone was going to punch you in the stomach. Also if you exhale sharply you should be able to feel the muscles and get more used the feeling of contracting them. It does get better with time as you get more familiar with your body.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You know how to make a muscle with your arm, or your leg, or your butt? You tense or tighten it. Do the same with your tummy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The best way I could describe it is how would you react if you knew someone was going to punch you in the stomach. Also if you exhale sharply you should be able to feel the muscles and get more used the feeling of contracting them. It does get better with time as you get more familiar with your body.

This is spot on. It's what you would do if you were bracing to get punched in the stomach. When the core is weak it is a lot harder to do, but once you get the hang of it you'll have better control over it.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It’s hard to explain, and I'm still learning how to do this better. Not engaging my core during my heavy lifting is a factor in how I hurt myself. For squats, Deadlifts and any exercise that I'm loading weight onto my back, I visualize my body as 2 pillars, front and back, I naturally put all my weight on my back and deload my front, so I focus on loading my front. Carrying as much weight as I can by using my abs. Some commented on this analogy by saying she visualizes her core as left and right and loading appropriately.

I looked up this article I read a couple of months ago about doing proper planks and how to make your core work for you.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/superhuman-planks

It changed how I do planks. And don’t stop practicing, you can only get better at understanding how your body works!!
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The core in my mind is not just abs, it's actually your entire mid-section from your abs, obliques, and back it is basically the trunk of your body even slightly into your hips, tush and shoulders.
    I agree the plank is the best position to activate your core because you have to straighten and tighten your body in order to hold it and if you try holding a plank for even just a short period of time (say 20-30 seconds), you will start to feel your core!

Good luck!
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    When I started pilates, my instructor actually hauled out an ultrasound machine and looked to see when I was working the right muscles so I knew how it was supposed to feel.
    I miss that class so bad.

SOPHIE!!!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    One of my instructors says to imagine a string pulling your belly button towards your spine. A friend calls it "photo stomach" which is when you suck in your gut to look slimmer before someone takes a picture.

Good luck!
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    the way i was taught was in theory suck your belly button and your *kitten* together. that will effectively engage your entire "core" and not just your abs. you know you just tried it after reading this.... it works great to stabilize your core completely
  • puppup73
    puppup73 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I'm holding my breath which clearly is not right.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That's a pelvic tilt which we should all have for all lifting and ab work (tighten your abs and tuck your butt under).
    So suck in that belly!
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I'm holding my breath which clearly is not right.

It is right. When you tense your core you dont have as much room to expand your abdomen and get full breaths. Its called breathing under the shield.
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    the way i was taught was in theory suck your belly button and your *kitten* together. that will effectively engage your entire "core" and not just your abs. you know you just tried it after reading this.... it works great to stabilize your core completely

I did just try it and it works. Will be trying tomorrow when doing my weights session
  • Phiallis
    Phiallis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There is one single exercise which teach you how to engage the core without even having to think about it: the hollow body position.
    Practice this until you get use to the feeling, and you can then apply it to anything: planks, push ups, pull ups... etc.
    It is the singlemost important thing you can do to learn to engage your core.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have yet to figure out how to "engage my core" intentionally, like when I am working out, however I know that I do it in my job, by accident. On days when I run lots of calls and am in the back of the moving ambulance providing patient care, my "core" lets me know it's been engaged and overworked. (It's not as easy as it sounds, trust me!) Ibuprofen after a long shift helps! :wink: I'm thinking that since I can't seem to do it on demand that maybe I'll buy a balance board (or similar) and just stand on it for several minutes/day. Sorry if that's not helpful, just my experience. :flowerforyou:
  • iamMLH
    iamMLH Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I love that description.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    That's a pelvic tilt which we should all have for all lifting and ab work (tighten your abs and tuck your butt under).
    So suck in that belly!

Not really. The main reason that powerlifters wear a wide belt is because they create intraabdominal pressure by pushing OUT the belly.

As long as you are creating tension/pressure in your core (from nipples to genitals) to help keep your spine in a fixed position, you are doing it right. A lot of people like to think of taking a deep breath and pushing air into the core to stabilize (of course no one is actually pushing air into their abdominal cavity).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So suck in that belly!

Not really. The main reason that powerlifters wear a wide belt is because they create intraabdominal pressure by pushing OUT the belly.

As long as you are creating tension/pressure in your core (from nipples to genitals) to help keep your spine in a fixed position, you are doing it right. A lot of people like to think of taking a deep breath and pushing air into the core to stabilize (of course no one is actually pushing air into their abdominal cavity).
    ^This. Realized after a year of lifting that I was doing it wrong. I have never used a lifting belt because I haven't gotten to that level yet, but now I try and envision pushing out against a belt if I were wearing one. It's much easier when I inhale deeply before the lift.
  • pgatony1
    Options
    Planks..planks..and more planks!!!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    So suck in that belly!

^This. Realized after a year of lifting that I was doing it wrong. I have never used a lifting belt because I haven't gotten to that level yet, but now I try and envision pushing out against a belt if I were wearing one. It's much easier when I inhale deeply before the lift.

For a very long time, I resisted getting a belt because I thought it was something only for people lifting at a higher level of performance. That's pish posh. Everyone can benefit from one, just as everyone can benefit from training without one at times, too. Using it even periodically helps built the proper habits, so that you can cue your core properly more often.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So suck in that belly!

For a very long time, I resisted getting a belt because I thought it was something only for people lifting at a higher level of performance. That's pish posh. Everyone can benefit from one, just as everyone can benefit from training without one at times, too. Using it even periodically helps built the proper habits, so that you can cue your core properly more often.
    Hm, interesting. I might think about picking one up then. I know a couple of my lifting friends have them, so I could get some good recommendations.