ZOMG! Dr. Oz

Options
2»

Replies

• sperlifts
    Options
    You forgot the Dr Oz Fat Burning Syrup .. lose 33 lbs without dieting.

photo.JPG

I don't know why people keep jumping in with what they think are witty dr oz remarks. This post was not to be about his previous shows, cos to be honest I think I've watched a total of 30 minutes of his show since it's been on.

This was for the people that like his show and listen to what he says, the people who follow his advice. It was just to show that he actually said something that was not promoting some gimmicky diet plan or telling people to eat an extremely low calorie diet or high calorie diet, high fat, low fat, low carb, or eat all the protein diet.

Jeez
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't let the haters discourage you. I think he has a reputation that he doesn't really deserve. I have seen the show maybe 10 times or so over the years and it is usually informative and he doesn't try to sell anything. I doubt that "Dr. Oz Syrup" article actually contained an interview with him. He seems to advocate a Mediterranean-style diet with whole grains, lean meats, etc.

He goes out of his way to disclaim any of those products that claim to be endorsed by him. Like anything, he's not all good or all bad.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    1200 is the absolute lowest anyone should go unless on a doctor's orders.

I have a hard time reaching 1200 calories per day and I am most certainly overweight because of it. Eating less than that can disrupt ones metabolism and put a body into "starvation mode" where it begins to hoard calories as fat because it's not sure when it might get nourishment again. There is a lot of information about this online on more reputable sites (not Dr. Oz).

People on diets lower than 1200kcal usually do so for very specific reasons and with the guidance of a doctor and nutritionist.

sorry but the starvation mode part is not true. You have to eat nothing for a period greater than 72 hours to go into starvation mode, and even then the affects will be minimal. you cannot be sting 900 cals a day and go into starvation mode; you could suffer metabolic adaptation or damage, but will not go into starvation mode.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You forgot the Dr Oz Fat Burning Syrup .. lose 33 lbs without dieting.

photo.JPG

LOL I saw that in publix the other day and just shook my head and laughed..
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Woman's World is a tabloid magazine. It'd be prudent if people knew all the facts before judging a person so harshly. As someone else pointed out, that rag likely doesn't contain an actual interview and if it has any true statements from Oz at all, they're likely taken out of context.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    He basically told her she was stuck because she's not feeding her body enough.

Well that is complete nonsense. There may be reasons to not eat 1000 calories/day - but inability to lose weight is not one of them. The idea that a person will stall or gain weight at 1000 calories/day but look like a concentration camp survivor eating 800 calories (concentration camp rations were 600-800 calories/day) makes a mockery of science and rational thinking.

Dollars to donuts the person involved is eating a lot more than they think they are, and following this advice will lead to prompt weight gain.

Typical Oz....
    lol.......I could have written this response word for word..........totally agree. :smile:

EDIT: grammar.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    This was for the people that like his show and listen to what he says, the people who follow his advice.
    So you're encouraging people that are lost and confused to continue to follow the advice of a man that offers bad advice. All because on very rare occasions he gets it right.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give my opinion of dr. oz I am just wondering if at any time during this show did he ask the woman if she was "accurately" counting her calories?

It sounds like half the post on this site where people say they are eating a certain amount of calories and are not able to lose weight and 99.9% of the time they are eating more than they claim to be either because they don't accurately measure their food or they think they burn more than they really do.

My point is, just like a lot of the responses people on this site give, how can someone say "you're not losing weight, you need to eat more food" if they don't know, for sure, that the person in question is really eating what they say they are to begin with? Sounds like a way to set someone up for more weight gain...
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Oz = scam artist

All the trash you read in your female magazines = **** advice too. I was amazed at the sheer stupidity when I read a weight-loss article in my wife's magazine.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I happened to watch it today too, usually I don't, and I liked this part but then he went on to "bust another myth"; this one about being more prone to gain weight when eating at night. He said it's true. He compared 1400 cal eaten in daytime vs nighttime and said people retain more of these same cals at night... He had 2 women who work the nightshift at the ER, getting up at 5PM and being up unti morning. He basically advised them to reverse the size of their meals, with the biggest one being when they get up, a medium one mid-day (mid-night) and smallest one being their dinner. I think it might be a good concept, but is the myth really true? :huh:

In this context with these ladies working night shift, it takes a toll on the human body and it kind of makes sense for them to eat the opposite of what most people that work day shift would eat.

They are basically eating in reverse than most of us eat. Working night shift really throws off the metabolism and hormones in the body because you are forcing it to work the opposite of the natural circadian rhythm.

I can see where he is coming from. I have read other articles and a couple of studies of people that work night shift and what it does to the human body.
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I happened to watch it today too, usually I don't, and I liked this part but then he went on to "bust another myth"; this one about being more prone to gain weight when eating at night. He said it's true. He compared 1400 cal eaten in daytime vs nighttime and said people retain more of these same cals at night... He had 2 women who work the nightshift at the ER, getting up at 5PM and being up unti morning. He basically advised them to reverse the size of their meals, with the biggest one being when they get up, a medium one mid-day (mid-night) and smallest one being their dinner. I think it might be a good concept, but is the myth really true? :huh:

In my experience, it is true. I went through a phase when i was younger where i got into a habit of having a snack right before bed. it was never anything really big or bad, it was often just a piece of bread. i lived a moderately active lifestyle, and didn't eat poorly regularly, but i was gaining weight. I think it has a lot to do with the individual though. your body slows down while you sleep, but if you're someone who has a pretty good metabolism it probably won't effect you much.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

In my experience, it is true. I went through a phase when i was younger where i got into a habit of having a snack right before bed. it was never anything really big or bad, it was often just a piece of bread. i lived a moderately active lifestyle, and didn't eat poorly regularly, but i was gaining weight. I think it has a lot to do with the individual though. your body slows down while you sleep, but if you're someone who has a pretty good metabolism it probably won't effect you much.

So you are essentially saying that your metabolism slowed down so much that it couldn't burn off the calories of a small snack during 8 hours of sleep? And that was your reason for weight gain?
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Okay first off don't judge me. I normally don't watch this show but i was intrigued by todays topic since all my friends eat up everything this man says.

So anyways today he is talking about diets and the last segment was on this lady who was eating 1000-1200 calories a day and not losing weight. He basically told her she was stuck because she's not feeding her body enough. And gave a comparison between a "normal diet" where you eat more and lose more from fat and conserve muscle, and an extreme diet where you lose small amounts of fat and muscle at the same time but at a slower rate.

Now please don't jump down my throat. I'm not bashing the show, and i'm not bashing the people that eat 1000-1200 calories a day. I am simply shining light on some information that is coming from a popular source, in hopes that it might help people that are confused as to how much they should eat if they feel like a low calorie diet isn't working anymore or wont work for them to begin with.

:flowerforyou:

That's actually a pretty decent statement by him. I am surprised he didn't try to sell her some magic pill.

What he said.

Pbz7IGg.jpg
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Dr. OZ probably does have good intentions...but he also has a whole industry that wants to get paid..so he will tow the line or they find someone else
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz has good intentions, but he's going into sellout mode and just silly things to keep an audience.

Check out eatmore2weighless.com on this subject.