Still a calorie deficit?

Options
Let's say I set my calorie goal to 1350 calories. I eat 1521 calories for that day. Then, I exercise, and therefore burn off 514 calories.
My net intake is now 1007. I eat another 300 calories.
My food intake sits at 1821.
My net intake is at 1307.

Still a deficit?

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just make sure you don't overestimate your calorie burns. Otherwise, this is the way MFP works.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to take my daily calorie goal plus any calories earned for the day through exercise and that is the total I should consume for that day. Using your numbers that would be 1864 (1350+514). So if you consumed 1821 your deficit is 43 calories (1864-1821).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to take my daily calorie goal plus any calories earned for the day through exercise and that is the total I should consume for that day. Using your numbers that would be 1864 (1350+514). So if you consumed 1821 your deficit is 43 calories (1864-1821).

I think you forgot to subtract OPs burn…..
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go with TDEE, and then go with that for a few weeks.
    And then tweak if needed after that.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Let's say I set my calorie goal to 1350 calories. I eat 1521 calories for that day. Then, I exercise, and therefore burn off 514 calories.
    My net intake is now 1007. I eat another 300 calories.
    My food intake sits at 1821.
    My net intake is at 1307.

Still a deficit?
    It seems to me you are over thinking. :smile:

If you choose the MFP method. you start with the calorie allowance given to you. Then you add your exercise calories in an eat MFP calorie allowance + exercise calories.

it helps to pre-log your food for the day. For me, it helps that I exercise in the morning because then I have my exercise calories to add into my diary. If I work out in the evening, as I do once a week, then I know approximately how many calories I must burn in my workouts to have my dinner and desert.

Be wary of the MFP and gym machine calorie burn estimates. They estimate between 100 and 200 calories over my heart rate monitor.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are correct, yes, you'll lose about a pound a week, not counting water swings.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go with TDEE, and then go with that for a few weeks.
    And then tweak if needed after that.

^This. So much easier to workout TDEE and input that into MFP and don't log exercise. My TDEE after 20% deficit is 1540 so this is the calories I eat each day regardless of whether it is a training day or rest day. TDEE takes into account your lifestyle and exercise so this method takes away any confusion of logging exercise and knowing how many exercise calories to eat back. Type 'Scooby workshop TDEE' into google - that seems to be one of the best calculators
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you think TDEE is easier (it may be for you, but I don't understand why). MFP subtracts your exercise from your calorie goal and tells you how many calories you have left. When you still have them you can eat. When the number is negative you ate too much.

Especially if you use the app, you can check out your weekly stats EASILY because it has that really nice graph that gives you your goal for the week, tells you what your net was each day relative to your goal, and what you're averaging for the week. Bar low, you hit your mark. Bar high you have to eat less or exercise more the next few days to hit your weekly goal.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you think TDEE is easier (it may be for you, but I don't understand why). MFP subtracts your exercise from your calorie goal and tells you how many calories you have left. When you still have them you can eat. When the number is negative you ate too much.

Everyone has a method that is easier...
    Just do what works best for you.

With TDEE you just eat a set amount of calories...
    Cause who can honestly say how many calories you burn during exercise.....

So if MFP method works for you, then do that..... :wink: