Road Runners

Options
With the weather being so nice finally I wanted to start running outdoors. I live off of a wondy rd with a 45 mph speed limit- any tips for staying safe? I might just drive into town to run, but that seems silly :laugh:

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Well, it may seem silly, but I drive to run all the time. I want to enjoy my run, not worry about getting creamed by some moron surfing the web on thier phone. Besides, people drive to the gym all the time...this isn't much different.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    My parents live in the country, so I have to run in those conditions when I'm at home. Here's a few good guidelines, though most are common-sense and might not be news to you. :)

Run FACING oncoming traffic.
    Always be prepared to step off the road if necessary. If going around a blind curve, step off the road anyways.
    Keep headphone volume down, or better yet, run without headphones if you can.
    Wear reflective clothing if running when visibility is not optimal.
  • girlruns
    Options
    Run FACING oncoming traffic.
    Always be prepared to step off the road if necessary. If going around a blind curve, step off the road anyways.
    Keep headphone volume down, or better yet, run without headphones if you can.
    Wear reflective clothing if running when visibility is not optimal.

Exactly.
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    I agree - I walk even out where I work and I just watch the traffic coming at me. Always be aware that they have seen you are going to move over. Be prepared to get out of the way at all times.

I do drive to the other side of town to run even though I could safely run in my neighborhood lol I like to run where there are other people. Just just for safety but to the energy from the other runners keeps me running! :)
  • hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    great, thanks!! I may drive to run until I feel more comfortable- I tend to blank out while running and that would be BAD on a country road ;)
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    With the weather being so nice finally I wanted to start running outdoors. I live off of a wondy rd with a 45 mph speed limit- any tips for staying safe? I might just drive into town to run, but that seems silly :laugh:

If you have to run ON the road then please do the following:

- Wear clothing that is bright and easy for drivers to see. Reflective clothing should be worn at night.
    - Run against the flow of traffic (aka the left side of the road). This lets you see cars that are coming toward you instead of having them speed up behind you.
    - Try your best to get off the road when a car is approaching.
    - Run with someone else if possible.
    - Order a Road ID wristband and wear it every time you run (http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx) - I NEVER run or bike without mine. I wear it on other occasions too when I think it might be helpful (hiking, hunting, etc).

I run on the streets in my neighborhood because the asphalt road has a little more cushion than the concrete sidewalk, but there is little traffic and I always hop to the sidewalk when I see a vehicle coming.