Options
    Quest bars are great.
  • CrazyLovelyMe
    Options
    Quest Bars for sure
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The Power Crunch protein bars are yummy too - they're like wafer cookies, not that weird gritty nougat like a lot of protein bars. The peanut butter flavor is my favorite!
  • michirusan82
    michirusan82 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Was looking at this myself today. I found Cascadian farms protein is good. The honey roasted nut is awesome (if you like peanut butter). Its organic as well.

*stupid autocorrect types Caucasian at first
  • nightshutter
    Options
    Just tried making these. My nutritional info was a little off what was on sweet cheetah. Obviously I didn't use the same brand ingredients she did. A learning lesson for any one thinking of trying it. Compare different brands! I will need to try different honey, PB, and protein. If I cut the batch into 6 bars I get

Calories-223g, carbs-33g, fat-7g, protein-11g, sodium-58mg, sugar-23g

Compared to my clif bar white chocolate macadamia, I'm still doing better. Except my homemade bar has 2 grams more of sugar. The bright side my ingredient list is waaayyy shorter. :)
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Homemade Protein Bars | No-Bake Protein Oat Bars

INGREDIENTS:

From Pinterest: I haven't tried this yet, but will soon.

2 cups dry whole grain oatmeal
    4 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
    ½ cup natural peanut butter
    1/3 cup of water or milk
    DIRECTIONS:

This protein bar recipe is extremely simple and doesn't even require turning on your oven! Simply mix all the above ingredients together in a large bowl. Then line a pan with wax paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray and press the mixture into the pan. Smooth the mixture to remove areas that are uneven to ensure bars are evenly proportioned. Next, simply place the pan and ingredients into the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes. Remove and cut into bars of desired size. Enjoy!

sounds yummy! how long do they last?

I did those with almond butter and dried apricots, they were still ok after a week, but I threw the rest out after that. It's the main issue really... they don't keep very long so you end up having to eat them all the time, and they're pretty high calories for the protein, so it's a bit of a pain to fit them in your diary.

So I prefer the convenience of store-bought bars. The ones that fill you up the most are Quest bars for sure (high protein and high fiber), even if they're not the best tasting ones (although I still like some of them). For taste, Cliff, Luna or Pure protein soft baked bars win for sure, but they're not as much protein or more calories.

If you can find Chocolite bars, they are good and have a good ratio of protein and fiber too, but I can't eat more than one or I get major gas.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i really like the "life choice" protein bars in the cereal/ granola bar isle. they have double chocolate and chocolate mint and peanut butter flavor. i like them best.
    they have 21 grams of protein and 190 calories.
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Try these - they don't have any protein powder in them, but really yummy!

http://cookathome.info/quinoa-protein-bars/
  • stuartbarton81
    stuartbarton81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are quite nutritious and tasty to boot! But high in calories, as most bars are. Slimfast make some great protein meal bars too! Check them.
    I personally don't eat protein bars anymore because of the calories and all the other stuff they put in it. I'd rather eat something natural like a whole rockmelon which contains about the same amount of calories. (or some kinda meats for protein)
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_200/244_protein-bar-recipes.html

I make the Blueberry and Banana bars. However, I've turned them into Chocolate, PB and strawberry bars by using chocolate protein, adding some PB2 and then chopping up strawberries into them. Just make sure you use really, really ripe bananas or plan to put other sweetener into the mix. It relies on the bananas for sweetness.

Once baked and cooled, I cut them, and then stick them in baggies in the freezer. It makes a grab and go snack that doesn't need refrigerated since it's baked. Any of the no-bake recipes you find will probably need to be refrigerated constantly.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Bump.