Any advice on my diary?

Options
Azchange
Azchange Posts: 110 Member
Hey,

So i've been going strong for a few days now and it's going great. I am logging and weighing all of my food, and I am doing HIIT training 4 days a week (2 str, 2 cardio). I walk about 5 miles at work 5 days a week (security on a 2 square mile campus). I don't log the exercise as I am not too concerned about it, I really need MFP to help track the calories.

I was just wondering if anyone could take a look at my diary and see how you feel it holds up. So far, never hungry, and I feel like I am constantly eating (which I like, hah).

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Replies

• Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I perused your diary. I felt sad when I looked at it. I guess I just can't fathom eating canned soup... certainly not the kind that has commercials. I know it is the reality of many people's lives and I am spoiled, but I just love fresh, local, organic, non-gmo food. Other than that, I can't say much. I am no role model for anything, so my opinion is just an opinion. I wish you the best.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Also congrats on your progress. Yay!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    What are the rest of your stats.
    I see you are male, and 22 yrs old
    Height, weight??
    Exercise??

On first glance....1700 is low, so will prolly have weight loss.
    Your protein in my opinion is low....unless you are doing no exercise or weight lifting...
    I would say add in more veggies
    And maybe some more whole foods.....

But that is just me and a quick glance.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The first thing I noticed was your sodium intake is way too high. I would increase your protein and lower your sodium. The biggest change you could start with is try not to eat processed foods, (frozen, canned, already prepared food) there is just too much sodium. If you are going to buy processed foods there is a good, free app called Fooducate that can grade your food by scanning the item. Try to eat more fresh foods.

Good luck!!
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi Andrew,

First Thank you for your service. Your diary look pretty well. I would change the format to include snacks between meals and an extra snack on the days you do your longer workouts. The sodium is high and really can become an issue even at your young age. Take a day during the week to cook real food that you can control what is added to it. Even beef jerky can be done at home with really no additives. Are you including what you drink? Beer or Ice Tea have added calories. You will do fine on this journey. My friends on MFP have to have open diaries so we learn what works for the ones really getting the weight off.

Health is your first wealth.

Patsy
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the input so far.

1) I know the canned stuff is bad, and I simply have to use it as a substitute for low calorie options when I have nothing else available. (Poor planning, lack of knowledge, ect) I will work on that.

2) I am 5' 9" (69.5") and currently about 204 lbs. When I updated my stats I used my last weigh-in, and will only log weight/measurements weekly.

3) As stated, I do HIIT training 4 times a week, plenty of walking, and will incorporate runs in the coming weeks. I don't want to break myself by starting too hard too fast, again.

4) I only drink water at work, and have 1-2 12 oz diet pepsi's as a "treat" with dinner and post workout. I know it's not ideal, but it's a start, like the soup. (Of course 1 20oz black coffee every morning)

Thanks again, loving the support.

Andrew
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, your food diary looks great! The only thing I'd look at more closely if that were my diary is the sodium intake. If there's a high sodium intake you may retain more water, which makes it look like you're not losing weight when you may actually be losing fat. Its more psychological than anything else for me. I can gain/lose up to 10lbs of water weight in a week depending on what I'm eating. Other than that, stick to what you're doing and you'll see results. You have to stick to it forever and results come slooooowly. So just stick to it and be patient!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    As they say, fail to plan....then plan to fail.....
    So try and take the time to prepare your meals...weigh and measure.

Looks like TDEE for you is around 2800,
    to lose the weight, you will want to be around 2200

If you can incorporate the weight room, then I would encourage that.....lift weights. :smile: