Chili Relleno's Recipe Anyone??

Options
neome90
neome90 Posts: 420
Hello there......was curious if anyone had a healthy low cal recipe for one of my favorite dishes in the whole wide world ! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: Yes...CHILI RELLENO'S. Yum yum yum. Would love to hear about any that are out there ! Thanks everyone. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• neome90
    Options
    Hello there......was curious if anyone had a healthy low cal recipe for one of my favorite dishes in the whole wide world ! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: Yes...CHILI RELLENO'S. Yum yum yum. Would love to hear about any that are out there ! Thanks everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have made them before with all the traditional ingredients but just low fat/cal. Instead of frying, I bake. Or you can leave off the batter all together.

:drinker:
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, but found it online:

Roasted Vegetable Chiles Rellenos
    Low Fat Recipe
    Chiles rellenos are stuffed with everything from cheese in the north of Mexico to crab or seafood along the Gulf Coast. Though chiles rellenos are usually fried, they are baked in this vegetarian version. Bell peppers can be substituted for the poblano chiles.

Ingredients:
    4 large poblano chiles (about 1 pound)
    2 pounds tomatoes
    2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
    6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
    1 drained canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
    1 cup water
    4 oregano sprigs
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Dash of pepper
    1-1/4 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
    1 cup diced chayote (or zucchini)
    2/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
    2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Fresh whole chives and Cilantro sprigs

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Remove stem ends of poblano chiles, leaving chiles whole; discard seeds and membranes. Set aside.

Place tomatoes, onions, and garlic on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan. Bake at 500 degrees for 30 minutes (garlic should be lightly browned; remove before 30 minutes, if necessary). Let vegetables cool 10 minutes. Peel tomatoes and garlic; discard skins. Remove cores from tomatoes. Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chipotle chile in a food processor, and process until smooth. Strain through a sieve into a large saucepan; discard solids. Add water, oregano, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 40 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups. Remove from heat; discard oregano and bay leaf. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and dash of pepper to tomato mixture; set sauce aside, and keep warm.

Combine corn and next 6 ingredients (corn through dash of pepper) in a bowl; stir well. Pack 3/4 cup corn mixture into each poblano chile. Place stuffed chiles on foil-lined jelly-roll pan. Bake at 500 degrees for 20 minutes or until chiles are blackened, turning after 10 minutes; peel chiles.

Spoon 1/2 cup tomato sauce onto each of 4 plates, and top with stuffed chiles. Garnish with whole chives and cilantro sprigs, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings.

Nutrition information per serving:
    Calories: 255
    Protein: 10g
    Fat: 2.7g
    Carbohydrate: 54.7g
    Fiber: 9.5g
    Cholesterol: 0
    Sodium: 514
  • dshandt
    Options
    Actually, this sounds better to me, and a whole lot easier! :drinker:

LOW-FAT CHILE RELLENO CASSEROLE

1 1/2 c. evaporated skim milk
    6 egg whites
    1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    3 (7 oz.) whole can chilies
    1/2 lb. low fat Jack cheese, grated
    1/2 lb. low fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    8 oz. tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray casserole dish (9x13) with vegetable oil cooking spray. Beat evaporated skim milk, egg whites and flour together until smooth. Split open chilies and rinse to remove seeds. Drain on paper towel.
    Mix cheeses together and reserve 1/2 cup for topping. Alternate layers of chiles, cheese and egg mixture in casserole dish. Pour tomato sauce over top layer and sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake 1 hour or until done in center.
  • debbz40
    debbz40 Posts: 12
    Options
    Any idea the calorie count on the second one? Sounds good!
  • neome90
    Options
    :smile: :smile: :smile: Yum YUM YUM ......Thank you all so very much. I am actually going to be making these next week sometime. Will let you know how they turn out. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My west-texas grandmother made these: not too too bad for low carb if you use a whole wheat tortilla because you can subtract the fiber count from the total carb count. This is not a typical relleno recipe.

She took a canned green chili and slit it open, placed a layer of jack cheese in it, folded a tortilla around it and secured it with a toothpick, and then lightly fried it. Now, of course back then all she used was Crisco Oil, but I use light olive oil.
  • fashionkitten13
    Options
    I've been working on perfecting the egg coating on these. It's trickier than you'd think. Here's another variation to try.

Chicken Chili Relleno

4 poblano chilies
    2 cups shredded jack cheese
    1 lbs chicken, cubed
    1/2 sweet Mayan onion, chopped
    1 zucchini, cubed
    4 eggs, separated
    1 1/2 cups flour (for dipping)
    cilantro, garlic salt, chili powder, and minced onion to taste

First...
    -roast whole chilies over an open flame until blackened.
    -place chilies in a ziplock bag, cover with a towel and set aside for 20mins to steam.

In the meantime...
    -pan fry chicken, onions, zucchini, and seasonings to taste until cooked through. set aside.
    -beat egg whites until stiff and foamy. stir in egg yokes. set aside.

Then...
    -the chilies should be really soft and mushy from steaming now.
    -clean off the blackened skin.
    -slice the chili lengthwise and remove the seeds... unless you like the heat!
    -stuff the chilies with the chicken mixture and some cheese.
    -coat the chilies throughly in the flour, then dip in the egg foam.
    -pan fry the chilies to a light golden brown, or until the cheese is melted inside.

These run in the 300- 350 calorie range. Depends on the size of the chili your stuffing and if you're using low fat cheese and such. I should mention that you will likely have leftover fillings... These are good as is, but you could top them in your favorite mole sauce.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    This isn't so much a chlli rellenos recipe, but I have made this a few times and it tastes very similar. Has that same cheesy, eggy, chili goodness! :)

I haven't calculated this, but you can go to the spark calculator and figure it out, based on what you use. I use the Josephs Omega and Flax tortillas and fat free cheddar cheese but it is still a good choice and you get to eat the whole thing and it is super filling.

Tortilla and Green Chili Casserole*
    Ingredients
    2 flour tortillas (approximately 6 inch diameter)
    1/2 fresh green chili pepper
    1/2 bell pepper, green
    2 oz. low fat, low sodium shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 tsp. dried parsley
    2 oz. liquid egg whites
    1/2 cup nonfat, skim milk

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Dice green chili pepper and bell pepper; combine and set aside. Coat a casserole dish with cooking spray. Tear tortillas into bite-sized pieces and spread 1/2 of them on bottom of the casserole. Top with half the chopped green chili and bell pepper mixture, and half the cheese. Repeat layering. Combine liquid egg whites, milk and parsley and gently pour over casserole. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    have to try these:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :glasses:
  • dshandt
    Options
    Yum.....thanks everyone!