Calorie suggestions

Okay, so those of us who have been around here for a while know that MFP sometimes just spits out a number based on random settings you choose. For me, it tells me 1200 calories a day even though I know it's just because it can't go lower and will be the "safest" option for me to lose 2 lbs a week. I feel like I could eat probably 1350 a day and still lose as I walk a lot and workout regularly. I'm 5'7" 158 lbs. I've done research that says my BMR is around 1600. I just want to know if anyone can give me suggestions on which calorie range I should lean towards to reach my goals, or if I'm way off on all of them. Thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    With such a small amount to lose 2 lbs a week probably isn't the most realistic goal. You should eat above your BMR but below your TDEE...
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    At 5'7 158lbs , 1200cals will be far too little . Start at TDEE and see if it is actually your TDEE . If you lose weight at what you think your TDEE is then you under-estimating your it . vice versa

Then slowly drop the calories . Try keep your metabolic rate high , if you jump straight into a 800-1000cal deficit that is just a set up for disaster . You will end up losing pounds and pounds of muscle along with the fat loss which will most likely leave you looking sickly or possibly skinny-fat

Its a long process , be patient and have a plan of action .
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    I think you should probably be doing 1400-1500 at least most days