Need to lose 80lbs and lack motivation

Options
Hi i need to lose bout 80lbs and start looking after myself.... but i lack motivation big time. I have 3 children so for a long time i have put them first and me last that's why i have put on so much but i want to lose it this year. Any help/tips would help or maybe someone who's in the same bout might like to chat.

Thanks

Replies

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    What got me started was not thinking of losing weight as a chore. Giving up some foods can be tough but you can try and find healthier replacements.

Soda/pop is a huge source of calories and sugar so you could swap that for tea,coffee, water or a diet version of that soda.

Replacing snacks like candy bars, chocolate and crisps/chips for fruit helps a lot and can also help you towards your 5 a day. It doesn't have to be fresh fruit either. You can use tinned, fresh, frozen and even a snack pack of dried fruit.

Opting for fast food or takeaway can be easy but instead you could have a family cooking night where you get the kids to help you make dinner and give them something to help with.

Try to get in extra exercise at points in the day if you don't have time to visit the gym because of your kids. Like short journeys to the store; instead of taking the car, walk there. Instead of taking an elevator, walk up a few floors before getting in.

Set milestones for yourself like 10lbs markers. And whenever you hit one of those markers, treat yourself to something you really want to eat. Giving up some foods doesn't mean giving them up forever after all.

Those are just a few tips that I could think of. Hope they help!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    When you bathe and brush your teeth, you are motivated to do it because you want to keep yourself clean and healthy. You probably don't even think of these as requiring motivation because they have become a habit, and, anyway, you'd feed disgusting if you didn't. You are most likely teaching your children to develope the same healthy habits for the same reasons.

Giving your body the proper nutrition is very similar. Do it not because you're flogging yourself to lose weight, but because it's just part of proper personal care. The pounds will come off as a bonus and you will be modeling good habits for your children.
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think to find your motivation, you have to really ask yourself the reasons you want to lose weight. What makes you think you should lose weight? Do you feel miserable? Do you feel like you look miserable? Are you having health problems that need addressing (diabetes, hypertension)? Only when you really dig deep down to the root of your desire for change, will you find a way to do it! And keep reminding yourself of those reasons and tell yourself it WILL happen come hell or high water! You have to WANT this BADLY.

It may be challenging at first, but as most of us can say here, once you get into a groove and the lbs start falling off, you will be so PROUD of yourself! Good luck!!!!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you need to lose the weight, why is it that you don't want to? Address that first.
  • greshka
    greshka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with mojoman. Going into it you have to ask yourself WHY you are doing this; for what reasons? If its for you (best choice) then you should attempt to take care of YOU. EXAMPLE--If its because you see yourself in the mirror and hate your body, then let that be your motivation--to change your body because YOU HATE IT, not because of what you think others think of it. (we are our biggest critiques so dont be so bad on yourself).

Now, not everyone has the ability to tackle motivation mentally, ONLY. Some need the visual motivation. Maybe if you had some old pics of what YOU consider your best weight/size, and can recall how you felt in that size, you can post those pics on the fridge, or around the house.

In the end, you have to wrap your mind around of what YOU want and go for it. Also, it is important to be realistic--tell yourself it will be hard work and there is not room for regret.

Think of it this way--in 6 months do you want to say to yourself "Damn, I feel and look good too" or say, "Damn, I would have lost 50lbs by now if I would have started 6 months ago!"
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I try to take it day by day.

Today, I will eat within my calorie goal.

Today, I will move my body.

For the medium term, I absolutely do not set weight goals. I do sometimes think "I wonder if I will be under XXX by Easter?" but I don't set it as a guideline for measuring my success. As a matter of fact, I am trying to wean myself away from the scale and only weigh once a month. Success is measured by going further and faster on my bike, doing push ups from a lower position, and maybe someday being able to chest hoop.

How old are your kids? Older babies and toddlers make excellent exercise partners: they usually love it when you pick them up, then swing them between your legs and up over your head. Older kids can really push you for cardio: as soon as they are old enough for tricycles and bicycles, they will challenge you to keep up with them walking/ jogging. Depending on when their growth spurts hit, the tweens will give you a run for your money running together or biking together.
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Forget 80lbs the goal always changes anyway, you might lose 50 and feel great and only shoot for 10 more or you might decide 90lbs is reachable either way break it down into 5 or 10lb increments ( short attainable goals) that will keep you going. Give yourself a big pat on the back each time you reach your mini goal and move on to the next one. Throw in some fitness goals along with it and track your calories, don't get overwhelmed with macro targets that will come as you dive further into it and begin having success.

Good for you, I'm a dad of 4 boys and it's okay to take some time to focus on yourself. You will be setting a great example for your kids and they will admire your strength and dedication for sure.

Good luck
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the lack of motivation, especially when the day is already full and busy and all I want to do when I get home is relax. I've started with just walking after work - I don't even let myself go home, I bring my gear with me to work, and there's an outdoor track I pass by on the way home, so I stop there, get changed, and power walk 1.5 miles with another .50-.75 mile slower cool down/stretching walk. My plan is to ramp this up over time - longer distances and/or faster walking/running.

Initially yes, it felt like a chore. But now that I've been doing it almost every day for a couple weeks, I really look forward to it - I like the feeling I have when I'm done, and then I also feel like I've really deserved some relaxation when I get home! :) All it takes is doing something every day for a period of time and then it just feels like routine - part of your day, just like brushing your teeth or taking a shower, and not something that you have to force yourself to do.

Plus I like how it's making me feel overall - I'm sleeping better, my ankles aren't swelling up after sitting at work all day (though I'm now making sure I walk more at work as well), I have more energy, etc.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hey, me too! Well, a little less than 80 now, but at this time last year I needed to lose 100 pounds.

I set small goals. I don't look at the big picture. Like I'm 250 now (hooray!!). A couple weeks ago, I was 256. I said "I want to be 250." A small loss is much more obtainable and feels more real than a huge loss. Now that I've reached my goal, my next goal is 245.

I take it one day at a time. I don't think "I want to be 175 by the end of the year." Nope, that's too much for me. It's more like "Let's just do good this week." Again, small goals.

I also have a pair of shorts that are one size smaller than what I wear now. I try them on now and then. That's one of my short term goals, I want to fit into those shorts. I'm not even sure I'll wear them when the weather gets nicer, but I'm glad they're still there lol.
  • mhc100g
    mhc100g Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "You are most likely teaching your children to develop the same healthy habits for the same reasons."

This is an area of motivation adults must realize. Your actions...be them good or bad...will linger on to your children as they grow older...and eventually to their children.

Great reminder!! This can be very selfish...yet at the same time you mature to be happy to see that those around you are also making better life choices. As a result, their risk for chronic disease decreases and overall happiness increases.

Relish in those benefits and point them out as the journey begins. Explaing "why" this is occurring.