Need some advice...

Options

Replies

• Agathist
    Agathist Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry about re quoting. It came out wrong, but I was trying to tell steve098 that any physicians will encouragel you to have breakfast.

As i said, name one physician and a PM is OK.

The body does not need a morning meal. For ANY reason.

Guyton and Hall, the standard Medical Physiology textbook, supports that.

Repeat: NO doctor ANYWHERE will tell you that you need to eat a morning meal- unless you are on insulin or something.

Don't confuse what you hear on breakfast food commercials for SOUND MEDICAL ADVICE.

It isn't.

Surely this is irrelevant? The OP is a breakfast person who needs her breakfast! Why try to push your faddy style of eating on to her. You're not reading and answering her question, you're just trying to encourage her to do something that doesn't suit. Doesn't make sense? :ohwell:
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    And btw, some days I eat two or even three breakfasts hahaha! I am hungriest in the morning and give my body what it needs. End if that story.

THIS ^^^
    You said it girl!! :laugh:
  • lamps1303
    Options
    Sorry about re quoting. It came out wrong, but I was trying to tell steve098 that any physicians will encouragel you to have breakfast.

As i said, name one physician and a PM is OK.

The body does not need a morning meal. For ANY reason.

Guyton and Hall, the standard Medical Physiology textbook, supports that.

Repeat: NO doctor ANYWHERE will tell you that you need to eat a morning meal- unless you are on insulin or something.

Don't confuse what you hear on breakfast food commercials for SOUND MEDICAL ADVICE.

It isn't.

I seriously think you're missing the point. It is irrelevant whether doctors recommend you eat breakfast or not. Most people here are looking to lose weight, and a consistent piece of advice you hear is that you should eat breakfast to kick start the metabolism for the day after about 8 hours of no food. That's the idea of breakfast - BREAK the [overnight] FAST.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Buy the Primal blueprint. You may be surprised at how conventional wisdom has steered us all wrong.
  • Angela61181
    Options
    My advice is not professional but I do see a nutritionist every other week. Of course weigh your food, you should know exactly what you are putting in your body, you will never know where your problem is if you are guessing. Also look for exactly what, down to the brand, you ate on mfp, I rarely find they don't have it. Never eat under 1200 calories, your body starves under 1200, as for your calories burned try a gadget such as a heart rate monitor, or a fitbit. If you don't know what your workout intensity is you could be out of your fat burning range and working too hard.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Buy the Primal blueprint. You may be surprised at how conventional wisdom has steered us all wrong.

^^^^ try before you buy - check out www.marksdailyapple.com

Plus the podcasts
  • lamps1303
    Options
    Breakfast to "kick start" metabolism?

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

Again:. Google "Hagan" and "Breakfast:Least important Meal of the Day"

It is a Kindle site.

DON'T BUY ANYTHING!

But read the first freebie 40 pages of the book.

Learn.

I don't feel the need to find out whether I should be eating breakfast or not - it's mine, OPs and everyone else's choice. I would also prefer to listen to advice of nutritionists (and no, I'm not going to 'name them' - no reason to justify myself to you).

At the end of the day, people do what works best for them. If not eating breakfast works best for you then I applaud you. But leave us breakfast-lovers alone. Thanks :smile:
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    What I have found with my body is that it never does what the math tells me it will do. I up my calories and lose two pounds a week, I bump it down and stop losing all together. Something will work for a while and then suddenly every this stops and I have to change it up. My advice is to try different things when what you're doing stops working for you. As we go through this journey our bodies and needs will change. It is just trial and error.

Start something new, see if it works, repeat. I have found this becomes easier as soon as you let go of, "I have to lose some weight everyday or I'm failing" mentality.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

It is a Kindle site.

DON'T BUY ANYTHING!

Learn.

I don't feel the need to find out whether I should be eating breakfast or not - it's mine, OPs and everyone else's choice. I would also prefer to listen to advice of nutritionists (and no, I'm not going to 'name them' - no reason to justify myself to you).

At the end of the day, people do what works best for them. If not eating breakfast works best for you then I applaud you. But leave us breakfast-lovers alone. Thanks :smile:

Man touchy.

The OP posted the thread so they could get different perspectives on what they could do (it's called advice or tips).

In fact I think you were the first to pitch in.

As this is not your thread and you are a participant in it (as we all are), why no let it be about the OP.

We can all put forward our suggestions and then the OP can take a look at them, if they see one they find of interest - hopefully they will do their own research and if it stacks up they can run with it.

If you must have your breakfast - great, I think the post you are disagreeing with is only stating that it's not particularly necessary to eat a breakfast and not advocating that people shouldn't eat it (it's that if they chose not to then - fine - no harm, no foul).
  • lamps1303
    Options

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

It is a Kindle site.

DON'T BUY ANYTHING!

Learn.

Man touchy.

The OP posted the thread so they could get different perspectives on what they could do (it's called advice or tips).

In fact I think you were the first to pitch in.

As this is not your thread and you are a participant in it (as we all are), why no let it be about the OP.

We can all put forward our suggestions and then the OP can take a look at them, if they see one they find of interest - hopefully they will do their own research and if it stacks up they can run with it.

If you must have your breakfast - great, I think the post you are disagreeing with is only stating that it's not particularly necessary to eat a breakfast and not advocating that people shouldn't eat it (it's that if they chose not to then - fine - no harm, no foul).

I agree.

If you read the previous posts OP has made her feelings clear re breakfast yet this guy (don't know his name) keeps bringing up the subject of why you shouldn't eat breakfast as it is 'unecessary'. I'm simply making the point, as you are, that everyone makes their own decisions and no-one should preach what is the 'right' and 'wrong' way of doing things.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks but no thanks.

I know how to listen to my body and when I go for my military style calisthenics followed by legit boxing for an hour at 9 AM I need to make sure I have fuel (food a.k.a., breakfast in my body) to endure. I admit that when I do morning cardio I almost always do it in a fasted state but for more intense activities I need the food. I am not overweight... just looking to lose the last few vanity pounds and really tone up. And again, I am a breakfast person... I wake up hungry and eat a healthy breakfast almost every day, and it fills me and satisfies me and gives me tons of energy to get through my busy mornings and into the early afternoon. I go for a light lunch and a heavier early dinner. I think my timings and food choices are spot on for my own personal overall health and wellbeing. I am happy with that and have no desire to change it. I am just looking for advice on my numbers and calorie range at this point.

^This - anyone who 1) tells you to skip meals, and, 2) tells you when you should and shouldn't eat is clearly a douche IMO. But everyone is different! :ohwell:

ad hominem attacks!

the last refuge of the incompetent....

You're right. There is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. There is also nothing wrong with eating breakfast. OP is very clear in wanting to eat breakfast. So why are you still pushing it? To be right?
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Eh... thanks but I don't think so. I am a breakfast person and believe that it's the most important meal of the day. I'm not into skipping meals, I want to nourish my body and give it the fuel it needs to be healthy.

(reading this, Piglet?)

If you are overweight, by, say, ten pounds, you can stop eating entirely and just drink water and you will do just fine for ten days.

In other words, the food you eat this morning your body does NOT need.

And there is no such thing as metabolic machinery that needs to be started up.

And...your glucose (of concern to some) will do just fine whether you eat breakfast or not.

This is science. This is how your body works. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

By not eating breakfast, as I outlined in my post, I can eat pretty much whatever I want the rest of the day.

Check out the freebie pages on the Kindle site of Dr. Hagan's "Breakfast: The least important meal of the day" to give you more reassurance.

Losing weight in the end is a psychological game.

Not how the body works. If you fast it will go into famine mode. Not a good thing.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I disagree that all weight loss is created equal.

Your assuming we all have the metabolic rate???

Plus just eating more than we burn Is too simplistic (yes it will end in weight loss, but not necessary healthy weight loss).

Different horses for different courses.
  • lamps1303
    Options

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

It is a Kindle site.

DON'T BUY ANYTHING!

Learn.

That's the problem.
    People think they are different and what works for one doesn't work for another.
    Diversity is to be accepted, right?
    WRONG!!
    Everyone here who wants to lose weight has the EXACT SAME METABOLISM.
    They have the EXACT SAME NEUROLOGIC MAKE-UP.
    Weight is lost the EXACT SAME WAY.
    We are only superficially different, but 99.99% the same.

Now, you can lose weight by burning more calories.
    You can lose weight by ingesting less calories.
    Running a calorie deficit.
    Right?

For most people, it is far easier and more convenient to consume less calories than to burn them away doing otherwise pointless physical activity.
    One vastly under-appreciated technique is to modify hunger, i.e. your psychological response to the signals that your stomach is empty.
    It can be done and "naturally" thin people have learned it on their own.
    You can, too.
    In fact, mastering that approach should be the FIRST STEP in weight loss, and it might be the ONLY step you will need.

Saying that weight loss is different for everyone is a talk-show cop-out.

And, no, I will not leave you breakfast-lovers alone. Smiley face or no.

Do you want to lose weight or not?

As someone else has pointed out - this thread is for the OP, not me.

But if you must know - I'm not looking to lose 'weight', my personal goal is to reduce BF% and 'tone' muscles. Lost 2 stone in the past, and, yes, you guessed, I ate breakfast :laugh:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Eh... thanks but I don't think so. I am a breakfast person and believe that it's the most important meal of the day. I'm not into skipping meals, I want to nourish my body and give it the fuel it needs to be healthy.

(reading this, Piglet?)

If you are overweight, by, say, ten pounds, you can stop eating entirely and just drink water and you will do just fine for ten days.

In other words, the food you eat this morning your body does NOT need.

And there is no such thing as metabolic machinery that needs to be started up.

And...your glucose (of concern to some) will do just fine whether you eat breakfast or not.

This is science. This is how your body works. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

By not eating breakfast, as I outlined in my post, I can eat pretty much whatever I want the rest of the day.

Check out the freebie pages on the Kindle site of Dr. Hagan's "Breakfast: The least important meal of the day" to give you more reassurance.

Losing weight in the end is a psychological game.

Not how the body works. If you fast it will go into famine mode. Not a good thing.

Based on what - will it go into famine mode?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss. :smile:

Hey when it comes to breakfast I swing both ways - if I'm hungry in the morning - I eat. If I'm not I don't.
  • lamps1303
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss. :smile:

Hey when it comes to breakfast I swing both ways - if I'm hungry in the morning - I eat. If I'm not I don't.

How it should be - listen to your body.
  • DawnGrubbMullins
    Options
    I'm at a stand still! Can't get motivated!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    What I have found with my body is that it never does what the math tells me it will do. I up my calories and lose two pounds a week, I bump it down and stop losing all together. Something will work for a while and then suddenly every this stops and I have to change it up. My advice is to try different things when what you're doing stops working for you. As we go through this journey our bodies and needs will change. It is just trial and error.

Start something new, see if it works, repeat. I have found this becomes easier as soon as you let go of, "I have to lose some weight everyday or I'm failing" mentality.

+1

And would like to reiterate weighing everything, you are probably eating more than you think

ETA: If I don't eat breakfast I will pass out so I agree with you OP, eat breakfast and enjoy!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

It is a Kindle site.

DON'T BUY ANYTHING!

Learn.

That's the problem.
    People think they are different and what works for one doesn't work for another.
    Diversity is to be accepted, right?
    WRONG!!
    Everyone here who wants to lose weight has the EXACT SAME METABOLISM.
    They have the EXACT SAME NEUROLOGIC MAKE-UP.
    Weight is lost the EXACT SAME WAY.
    We are only superficially different, but 99.99% the same.

Now, you can lose weight by burning more calories.
    You can lose weight by ingesting less calories.
    Running a calorie deficit.
    Right?

For most people, it is far easier and more convenient to consume less calories than to burn them away doing otherwise pointless physical activity.
    One vastly under-appreciated technique is to modify hunger, i.e. your psychological response to the signals that your stomach is empty.
    It can be done and "naturally" thin people have learned it on their own.
    You can, too.
    In fact, mastering that approach should be the FIRST STEP in weight loss, and it might be the ONLY step you will need.

Saying that weight loss is different for everyone is a talk-show cop-out.

And, no, I will not leave you breakfast-lovers alone. Smiley face or no.

Do you want to lose weight or not?

Yeah we all get it, you don't have to eat breakfast to lose weight, it all comes down to Cals in vs Cals, but you can eat breakfast if you want. You are trying to make it seem like the only way to lose weight is to skip breakfast which is just as wrong as the people who say you have to eat breakfast to lose weight, and at this point since the OP likes eating breakfast, you really are just making yourself look like somebody who thinks they are smarter than everyone else, but is really somebody who just likes to argue for the sake of arguing. It's like HEY LOOK AT ME I"M SMARTER THAN YOU BECAUSE I DON'T EAT BREAKFAST AND YOU DO FATTY.