Yes, another hrm/weightlifting question

Options
Now ive read a couple post about if a hrm is useful to record cals while weightlifting.

Some say yes more say no.

Now, in my mind i am thinking this.

I do several hiit programs, like t25, insanity, tapout xt etc and in all those programs they wear hrm too, now those nee sayers say a hrm is only useful for cardio.

But i think like this, i got a hrm with personal stats in it, when my hr goes up it calculates the cals for that hr, when my hr goes down it adjusts the cals to the hr at that moment so someone please explain to me in a few more words than just "no" why it wouldt work the same way with vigorous weightlifting as for me it is basicly the same as hiit.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Now ive read a couple post about if a hrm is useful to record cals while weightlifting.

Some say yes more say no.

Now, in my mind i am thinking this.

I do several hiit programs, like t25, insanity, tapout xt etc and in all those programs they wear hrm too, now those nee sayers say a hrm is only useful for cardio.

But i think like this, i got a hrm with personal stats in it, when my hr goes up it calculates the cals for that hr, when my hr goes down it adjusts the cals to the hr at that moment so someone please explain to me in a few more words than just "no" why it wouldt work the same way with vigorous weightlifting as for me it is basicly the same as hiit.

Because HRMs use algorithms that have embedded within them assumptions that your HR is reflective of aerobic activity and it's associated metabolic processes.

Anaerobic exercise uses different metabolic pathways and the resultant increase in heartbeat needs different algorithms to predict calories burn. Some manufacturers have models at the higher end (POLAR FT60 is one I know of) that claim to have algorithms that can accurately predict calorie burn based on your HR whilst lifting. Not sure how accurate they are though...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think for the programs you're doing, an HRM may actually work pretty well because most of those are more like circuit training where you're doing a combo of cardio and strength training so your heart rate will likely stay elevated most of the time. HRMs aren't effective for traditional strength training where you're in the gym doing sets and taking breaks between them and those lows are when the miscalculations happen.

I personally use mine for strength training because I do more of a circuit training type routine where I'm constantly moving and don't take breaks so my heart rate stays elevated. Ultimately, the only way to test it is to eat your exercise calories back and see if you still lose weight. It works for me so I know the HRM calculation is pretty spot on.