Almond Milk..is it good?

Options

Replies

• allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk in my smoothies that I make in the morning.

1 banana
    5 strawberries
    1 scoop of whey vanilla protein
    1 1/2 cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk

YUM!

omg yummy!
  • ericalyn73
    Options
    I love Silk unsweetened vanilla. It is one of the only brands that does not contain carrageenan, an additive known to cause GI problems. Also, there are no growth hormones as there are in conventional pasteurized cow's milk.
  • DARTHDOUGY
    DARTHDOUGY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's pretty good. I don't have digestion problems with it, as opposed to 2% milk
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Almond breeze vanilla...YES!
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Love Almond milk but only Almond Breeze. I prefer the 30 cal Vanilla. The kids like the Silk but I find it to be way too sweet and weird tasting. We use it as a replacement to cows milks as some in our family can't do cows milk. When the kidos were younger we used to do hemp milk it had better nutritional value than cows milk. However with a houseful of two growing boys I go though 5-6 1/2 gallons a week so I can't afford the Hemp. :)

A really yummy alternative is chocolate hazelnut milk. OMG in a smoothie with a banana, chia seeds and nut butter... SO GOOOOOOD.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love Silk unsweetened vanilla. It is one of the only brands that does not contain carrageenan, an additive known to cause GI problems. Also, there are no growth hormones as there are in conventional pasteurized cow's milk.

Plus it's just good LOL
  • Trishskee
    Trishskee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was hesitant at first, but really enjoy it! Much better than regular or soy milk. I buy unsweetened plain for recipes and unsweetened vanilla flavored for smoothies. It's a great base!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Ditto on lovin the Almond Breeze. I love regular cow's milk, but the older I get the less it agrees with me. I do not tolerate soy products, so Almond milk is perfect for me. And the unsweetened vanilla is tasty, perfect for blending with protein powder.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I love regular milk but I needed to cut calories with my shakes and cereal. The only almond milk I've ever liked is Simple Truth plain because it isn't as thick as other almond milk.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Love Almond milk but only Almond Breeze. I prefer the 30 cal Vanilla. The kids like the Silk but I find it to be way too sweet and weird tasting. We use it as a replacement to cows milks as some in our family can't do cows milk. When the kidos were younger we used to do hemp milk it had better nutritional value than cows milk. However with a houseful of two growing boys I go though 5-6 1/2 gallons a week so I can't afford the Hemp. :)

A really yummy alternative is chocolate hazelnut milk. OMG in a smoothie with a banana, chia seeds and nut butter... SO GOOOOOOD.

HAZELNUT milk?!?!? Where do I find it?
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Make it from scratch! It tastes WAY more amazing that anything from a box: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-almond-milk-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-189996
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    How does the price compare with regular old cow milk?
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    unsweetened vanilla almond breeze with special k fruit and yogurt cereal is AMAZING. and wayyyyy less calories than milk! and tons of calcium. and i'm hooked!
  • Kyle_CM
    Options
    Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Almong Milk!

Sam's Club usually has it in bulk for a good price :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    unsweetened vanilla almond breeze with special k fruit and yogurt cereal is AMAZING. and wayyyyy less calories than milk! and tons of calcium. and i'm hooked!

But that "meal" would have very little protein. Milk typically has more calories because it has more protein.
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love almond breeze unsweetened. It is 30cal/cup. I make protein shakes with it. i also put it in oatmeal with protein powder and it makes a nice well rounded, stick with you breakfast.

Other brands are not as smooth. It doesnt have the thick coating taste cows milk does, but it does have a texture and smell. I am not one to drink it straight, but I dont like cow milk to drink stright either.
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love Almond milk.... I think that it tastes better than regular milk!
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So bomb!! LOVE IT I get the unsweetened kind.
  • 5kRunner76
    5kRunner76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not if you want a decent amount of protein in your milk.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use it with my protein powder. I've recently discovered Silk Dark Chocolate Almond milk and I love it.

That stuff is dangerously good.
    Almond milk is great! Some people don't love the taste straight from the carton but it really adds a lot of richness to things like smoothies, oatmeal, & cereal without the high calories milk has. I have never liked dairy milk though, but I do love Almond milk. Almond coconut blend by almond breeze is one of my favorites.