Breaking the Link

Hi all,

I wanted to get a discussion going on what I feel is a very important topic in maintaining a healthy lifestyle - The link between food as a reward, a social tool, or for self medication purposes. It is something that I have struggled with, and I suspect may be affecting others also.

Food as a reward -- Simply rewarding yourself with food for accomplishing some goal (e.g. Let's celebrate my new job with gorging on fattning foods.).

Social Tool -- Using food as part of a social setting (e.g. Holiday parties, etc)

Self medication -- Using food to make you feel better (e.g. I'm stressed and ice cream makes me feel good).

I feel I am finally starting to break the link after all these years by substituting other rewards for my accomplishments, focusing on people instead of the events and finding other ways to relieve stress than looking to food (exercise, prayer, healthier snacks).

Let me know your thoughts if you feel you have had this challenge also.

Cheers!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Still struggling with the second one here, fortunately I'm not much of a social person (and often you can find healthy options too).

For me it really comes down to willpower.
  • The food as a reward or focus of a social gathering are the two big ones for me. And moreso, the food as a reward is typically a reward for depriving myself of something previously, which usually results in a binge on something I haven't been able to have.

I've been doing a gluten-free, dairy-free detox for the last two weeks and though I've had my moments when it's been hard to fight the cravings, but what I've found to be helpful is reminding myself that just because I can't have it now, when I want it, doesn't mean I won't have the opportunity to have it at some other point. It's much more about self-talk to control it... at least that's what's working for now. lol
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    'Food is fuel' is a good mantra a lot of people seem to use. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with using food as a reward or social thing, as long as you are conscious of how often you do it and how much you are eating.

I look at it a bit like alcohol. Going out for some drinks every now and then, super. Downing a quart of vodka everyday, not so super. (queue: link conclusive study)
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    The first one, I seem to always wanna go out and celebrate my birthday or what have you with greasy food and alcohol.

The second one, I have always been good at. I don't like to eat in front of people I don't know that well. So family, yeah sure I stuff my face, but as far as coworkers or parties...I usually dont eat much.

Unfortunately I am a cigarette smoker, that is my self medication. I am trying to reach my GW so I can start trying to avoid smoking too (most people gain weight after quitting)

We all have our vices...