What are your thoughts on hot yoga?

Options
What are everyone's thoughts on hot yoga? What are the advantages and disadvantages? What are your experiences? I've been thinking about trying Moksha Yoga....

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga! I've done a lot of Bikram Yoga. I've never heard of Moksha Yoga, though. Bikram leaves me feeling very mellow, very relaxed and my muscles really thank me! It helps a lot with my running since I am a marathoner. I say go for it.
    Risa
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    what is hot yoga
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Dang it was HOT!!! Was my primary thought. For the longest hour of my life.

I felt uncoordinated and embarrassed that everyone else in the class was WAY better at it than I was, and I was shocked at how red my face got, and how long it took for it to go away. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :explode:

I went once, and won't be back. I wasn't my cup of tea.

But I have tremendous admiration for those who can take the heat!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if you do try it, HYDRATE yourself. heavily. you're going to sweat a shocking amount of liquid out of your pores, so make sure you don't faint by drinking up before you go:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • rskidmore
    Options
    what is hot yoga

It's yoga, but done is a heated room :)
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I did Bikram (90 minutes in 105 degrees) for about 2 weeks. I loved it! I could not do half the poses...some of the time I just layed there and did nothing because it was so hot. I came out so refreshed and relaxed and soaking wet. :smile: My skin was soo nice while I was doing it too. If it didn't cost so much and wasn't so time consuming I would still be going. But financially its not possible right now. I am hoping after the wedding I will be able to afford it. I would love to be able to master each position.
  • rskidmore
    Options
    Yes, it sure is expensive. I was looking on Moksha Yoga's website and I can either purchase 20 sessions for $270 or an unlimited monthly pass for $116 a month. When i thought about it after looking at their schedule of classes, I realized I would only be going twice a week, and that a 20 session pass would last me ten weeks! So I can either buy three months of unlimited for $348 or 20 sessions for $270! I think I'll go with 20 sessions...lol. I'll probably do a 5 session pass first to see if I like it though. :)
  • Jana_lee
    Options
    I loved it. Went a number of times to Moksha. Let me know Rach if you want to chat more about it.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yoga in a sauna..? :noway:
    Sounds interesting..
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,787 Member
    Options
    My main thought is - if they don't let you bring water in, don't go. Some people swear by it, others swear during it. :wink: You should be able to take one class for free (or just pay for one class) - never buy a pass until your second visit.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love it! I did Bikram and it was one of the most relaxing and soothing expirences I have ever had. I hurt for days afterwards but it was so worth it! The only downside is the cost. There was just no way I could justify the expense. Our gym membership is $40 a month and the yoga was well over $100, so we went with the gym. Make sure you bring water and a towel. If you are feeling exhausted, it is totally acceptable to just lay down and skip a pose. The more you go, the more you will be able to push youself. Also, the studio should be open a few minutes before the class begins, make sure that you go and warm up in the studio before the class.

Now I want to go! I may drag my husband on sunday!
  • Babybear12
    Options
    I love Bikram and the heat starts to feel normal after a few classes. Has anyone found a good calculator to figure out how many calories you can burn in a class? I know it various to height, weight, etc... but I've seen post as high as +1000 and others claiming it's only 500. I would love to help myself stay on track!
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I love love love hot yoga! I have nothing else to add really. Just that its super fantastic!
  • nurseandi
    Options
    my old gym where i used to live offered hot yoga. it was sooo nice and relaxing. The only thing is i hurt my shoulder and the doc said that ligaments and tendons get very flexible during hot yoga so he told me not to push too much. like i said it's a steal if your local gym offers it. if youre in the boston(and suburbs) or nyc area this is a great studio http://www.pranapoweryoga.com and you can pay as you go. enjoy but be careful :)