High protein = High fat

Options
Hi,

I'm blessed to have a personal trainer as a close friend and she has given me tips on losing weight. She said I need to get protein at every meal to keep my energy up all day. Here's my conundrum: When I get my protein, my fat goes over. So far today I have logged good natural sources of protein: sardines, almond butter, eggs and veggies. I still need 33 protein but have gone over fat by 6 already.

Do I just ignore the fat for the most part so long as I'm getting these natural sources of protein? Are MFPs settings off? It makes me wonder if they're set to comply to a person eating "diet foods" and I try to eat mainly "clean" and always run into problems with the fat and sugar in my log due to this.

Thanks!

Replies

• Appalachia7
    Appalachia7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am trying to "up" my daily protein also. Personally I try to stay away from nuts and nut butters as much as possible, the very high fat content packs in the extra calories and makes them hard (for me) to regulate. There are plenty of other higher fat, lower fat protein choices like non- or low-fat cottage cheese (Breakstone makes a really yummy 2% with 80 calories and 10g of protein) or non fat greek yogurt (Stonyfield makes an 80 calorie one with 15 g of ptn). Also poached chicken breast. I hate wasting egg yolk and don't like the stuff in the carton, so I don't worry about the yolk-fat when I eat eggs.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Look into including leaner fats, like chicken breast and the many types of fish that aren't as fatty as sardines.

Also, beans will have much more protein than other kinds of veggies, without much, if any, fat.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    tuna, egg whites, whey protein powder, and fat free greek yogurt, all easy sources of protein with low/no fat!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    almond butter, eggs

These are both high fat and almond butter doesn't have much protein.

Chicken and egg whites are high protein and very low fat. I mix 3 whites with 2 whole eggs to boost protein and keep some nice fat taste.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    High protein and a calorie deficit will get you what you're looking for. Don't freak out too much about fat, although I personally try to keep the saturated fats under control.
  • 123Pari
    123Pari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Whats the problem with the higher fat? Fat is GOOD! the higher fat meats will keep you satiated for longer. but if you want to go lean protein stop eating sardines and have chicken breast/turkey/egg whites instead....:smile:
  • chardrun
    chardrun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    psmd and usmcmp have the right idea. Things I eat/drink on a daily basis that fit your criteria:

Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey Protein Powder mixed with water
    Egg Beaters
    FAGE 0% Fat Plain Greek Yogurt (One of my favorite sources of protein)
    Chicken Breast
  • jazzii98
    Options
    Then choose healthy proteins. It's not hard at all :noway:
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add one statement against egg whites.

When you remove the yolk, you also remove the part that makes you full and some of the nutrients. Eggs are a near perfect food so I disagree with all the people staying to use egg white only. Years and years of research has proven that the yolks are no where near as bad for you as previous thought and that people should go ahead and eat the yolk.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I eat a high protein diet and struggle to get fat in my diet. For my protein, I maily drink lowfat milk and eat fish, chicken, turkey, lean beef, egg whites and occasionally eat edamame for my protein.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is another good one I didn't see listed yet.
  • _John_
    Options
    I'm going to add one statement against egg whites.

When you remove the yolk, you also remove the part that makes you full and some of the nutrients. Eggs are a near perfect food so I disagree with all the people staying to use egg white only. Years and years of research has proven that the yolks are no where near as bad for you as previous thought and that people should go ahead and eat the yolk.

I'd rather eat the calories from yolks in something I like better...that's why I don't eat them.
  • cjthe3
    Options
    Pick up some lentils. They take some time to prepare, so you'd want to cook a bunch at a time and save the rest, but a single serving has 10g protein and maybe 1g of fat at most. They're also super cheap if you're looking to save some cash too.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm trying not to stress it for now, and will reevaluate if my health/weight loss starts to go wonky on me.

(I also use a quarter to half a tablespoon of butter in everything I cook. So, you know, I'm also the problem. No shame. :D)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The sources you listed are higher fat sources of protein. I really wouldn't consider almond butter a source of protein. Pick lean meats, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. I can easily get over 200gr protein a day will keeping my fat between 50-60 grams.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Not all fats are evil. As long as you are getting those healthy fats that are good for your heart and brain and not the stupid trans fats I wouldn't be too scared. Be careful because sometimes if you get stuff labeled low fat they are high in sugar, which I think is more detrimental to weight loss than those healthy fats.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    remember that the protein that your body doesn't use up turns into fat too :D
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Worry about the total calories and the protein and don't worry about exceeding your fats. Lower the carbs before the fats. I eat 60-80% fat diet and love it. My lipids are perfect. Egg yolks and butter are excellent sources of fat soluble nutrients so continue to eat them.
  • _John_
    Options
    remember that the protein that your body doesn't use up turns into fat too :D

in a caloric deficit "unused" protein is NOT stored as fat...it is simply converted to carbohydrate and used to produce ATP.