Not losing weight - need help and advice! Please

Options

Replies

• scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    http://sophieologie.me/2013/09/26/1200-calories/

This was a good read.
    THANK YOU!

Welcome to the wonderful world of MFP! The place that will tell you that if you are not losing weight at 1200 calories, magically increasing to 1500 will suddenly result in weight loss. BS! Eating more is ridiculous advice. If you are not in a deficit at 1200, you wont be in one at 1500. And you wont lose weight. Period!

Find out what is going on with your metabolism and get your RMRBMR tested. If there is an issue, discuss the results with a dietician, nutrionalist, or professional and develop a plan that works for YOU. If there is nothing wrong, you have peace of mind and should re work how you are counting calories and exercise numbers. And don't start "eating back" your exercise calories. You don't burn 200 calories and then get to eat a Twinkie as a tradeoff. Consider calorie burning a bonus that will contribute to additional weight loss.

This is BS. MFP is set up to eat back your calories, or a least a portion of them. It doesn't mean you eat a twinkie, although you can.

It over estimates exercise. Online calculators are all estimates. She needs to get real number that are specific to HER and not a population of people. Particularly if she has a metabolic issue.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This was a good read.
    THANK YOU!

Welcome to the wonderful world of MFP! The place that will tell you that if you are not losing weight at 1200 calories, magically increasing to 1500 will suddenly result in weight loss. BS! Eating more is ridiculous advice. If you are not in a deficit at 1200, you wont be in one at 1500. And you wont lose weight. Period!

Find out what is going on with your metabolism and get your RMRBMR tested. If there is an issue, discuss the results with a dietician, nutrionalist, or professional and develop a plan that works for YOU. If there is nothing wrong, you have peace of mind and should re work how you are counting calories and exercise numbers. And don't start "eating back" your exercise calories. You don't burn 200 calories and then get to eat a Twinkie as a tradeoff. Consider calorie burning a bonus that will contribute to additional weight loss.

This is BS. MFP is set up to eat back your calories, or a least a portion of them. It doesn't mean you eat a twinkie, although you can.

It over estimates exercise. Online calculators are all estimates. She needs to get real number that are specific to HER and not a population of people.

Then wouldn't a reasonable solution be to eat a portion of those instead, 25% or even 50% less than what MFP suggests instead of not including it at all?
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Ha, ha! No, I dont want the twinkie. But thank you! ;)

Good for you and neither do I! You'll get that great advice sooner than you think. Get yourself checked by a professional. Its usually covered by insurance or can be done for under $100. In your situation something could be wrong and you don't want to rely on estimates on any website.
  • haburgess
    Options
    Ok, right now I'm doing what my Coach says. I'm 3 days a week with him and he makes sure what I eat. It follows what I have been already eating, though.
    I can give it until the end of the month and if I still dont budge, I can go get some bloodwork. The last time everything came back fine, but it wouldnt hurt to do it again.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

This was a good read.
    THANK YOU!

It over estimates exercise. Online calculators are all estimates. She needs to get real number that are specific to HER and not a population of people.

Then wouldn't a reasonable solution be to eat a portion of those instead, 25% or even 50% less than what MFP suggests instead of not including it at all?

In her position, I would forget about any estimates and guesstimates and get to the root of the issue. Get her RMR tested and work from there. A professional could advise what % (if any) to eat back. There is plenty of time to figure that out over time. I had my RMR tested and the clinician that I saw, only suggested I bump that figure (2300) up by 20% to 2700. Thats an increase of 400 calories. In real life I do cardio at least 3 days a week and can burn from 600-900 per day. I do additional cardio on weight training days for another 400 calories per day. Thats a helluva lot more than 400 calories.
  • haburgess
    Options
    And the other 3 days he has me doing cardio, on my own.
    Sorry, didnt want anyone to think I was slacking. :)
  • haburgess
    Options
    What's an RMR?
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I have been reading all the posts on this thread, and I hear so much good advice. And most of it is the same. I also have been someone who has always been conscious of my weight, and worked to stay healthy. I like to exercise, and have always put it as part of my daily routine. Yet, I have never been able to maintain the healthy goal weight I aspire to. I am able to restrict my calories...according to the less in than is going out will result in weight loss theory. Yet, the more I cut calories the worse I feel, and still no weight comes off. I just get tired, and cold, and my hair thins and I get headaches. I get too tired to maintain the low calories (1200 or less) So after a few months of suffering, I tend to let up, and go right back to where I was. It is so frustrating. And I hear the same thing.... you are not measuring right.... you have to log more carefully.... I do not believe this is always true. I believe some peoples' bodys fight weight loss much harder.

Now, after joining mfp I am starting to see a different picture. I think I have to train my body to believe it can use extra calories without going hungry later. I am reading on the BMR and what my body should be using. The resounding opinion is that I am eating too little. Then my body learns to store EVERY possible calorie, and to shut down my metabolism as much as possible in order to do so. I have decided to challenge myself to eat more. At least to reach my BMR each day plus a little. (not plus a lot) I want to push protein and keep carbs low. Then, after a couple months I will see if I can achieve a move in the right direction.

I have always wanted to lose quickly. With the idea that "I can suffer for a bit to achieve what I want. Then I will be happy. So to loose faster just means I can be happy sooner." This approach has not worked. I am going to change what I do. My husband always tells me that " The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing, but expect a different result." I want a different result, so I will have to change what I am doing.

Also, I have a thyroid disease that does seem to make my metabolism slow to start with. This is an issue you may want to look into. It may be part of your problem too. Do a little reading on thyroid, and if it seems to fit, you might want to ask a MD.

anyway.... I just wanted to put forth a little support. It is hard to put so much effort into an endeavor that does not seem to be getting the result you want. The exercise makes you stronger, and is good for your mood. So keep it up. You are doing lots of things right. There is still a missing piece in the puzzle, perhaps eating more could help? Don't quit, and you will get there.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options

This was a good read.
    THANK YOU!

I'm sorry. Where are you reading that someone said she should eat a Twinkie?

A shot at the people who continually spread the nonsense to "eat back your calories". And who constantly use exercise as a trade off to eat more food. Don't eat a Twinkie, a Ding Dong, or a Ho Ho. Stick to your deficit and consider exercise a bonus.

SO if someone's deficit is set for 1400, and after exercise they are netting only say, 700 calories, you see no reason why they shouldn't eat calories?

Give up the Twinkie talk, man. It's not a good look.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What's an RMR?

Resting Metabolic Rate. You burn calories just being alive, even if you never got out of bed. Knowing what that number is gives you kind of a starting point.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I am not sure that eating a twinky, or other sugary treat is the way to eat back calories after excercise... or any calories for that matter. Lean protein, nuts, fruits & veggies, or a little whole grain would be a nice choice.

This was a good read.
    THANK YOU!

A shot at the people who continually spread the nonsense to "eat back your calories". And who constantly use exercise as a trade off to eat more food. Don't eat a Twinkie, a Ding Dong, or a Ho Ho. Stick to your deficit and consider exercise a bonus.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    What's an RMR?

Resting Metabolic Rate. Its a test that takes 15 minutes and will you give you an accurate number as to how many calories you burn in a rested state factoring in zero activity. It is specific to you and not someone else or an average of a population that maybe very different from you.
  • elleloch
    Options
    Ps, exercise isn't a trade off for more food. If you're intensely exercising you NEED food. Sweet Jesus why is this hard for some people to understand. MFP makes this SO easy, lol.
  • runninghome
    runninghome Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a problem with eating 1200cl a day. If you are exercising then you have the freedom to eat a few more calories if you want. If you are not losing, I don't think there is a special magical answer for your case. (I've been in your place so many times) You are probably eating more then you think. They say that almost 100% of us underestimate our calories. 1200 calories a day is not easy, it should feel very restrictive. When you are only eating 1200 a day the calories add up so fast. Every bite you put in your mouth must be counted. 1200 calories should not be easy. If it feels like it not hard to do then maybe you are eating more then you think. If dinner comes around and you are not struggling a bit to figure out what you can eat on the few calories you have left that day then you might be underestimating your food. What I've done to make sure I'm actually eating what I say I am, I will eat only whole food for a couple of days. So nothing with a lot of ingredients that make it hard to count up. Then I measure everything, butter, oils, coffee creamer, sugar, dressing. I don't estimate anything. I've been losing weight for years and every time the weight is not coming off I'm always surprised it my calories that are the problem.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

This was a good read.
    THANK YOU!

SO if someone's deficit is set for 1400, and after exercise they are netting only say, 700 calories, you see no reason why they shouldn't eat calories?

Give up the Twinkie talk, man. It's not a good look.

I would say that people who claim to be in a deficit, but are not losing do not need to eat back any estimated calories. PERIOD! People here are so obsessed about eating back calories that they way overstimate their activity and underestimate their intake. There is plenty of time for everyone to eat. Chill out and worry about losing some weight first until you find your own sweet spot. And the Twinkie is a great look because it dovetails into the "a calorie is just a calorie" concept that is often misrepresented misunderstood.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Ps, exercise isn't a trade off for more food. If you're intensely exercising you NEED food. Sweet Jesus why is this hard for some people to understand. MFP makes this SO easy, lol.

Holy Beejeebez. How difficult is it for some people to understand when you aren't losing weight you dont need to add back any calories. NONE. Lose some weight first before you go back to stuffing your face. And yes, MANY MANY people on this site treat exercise as a tradeoff to eat more and more and more. And from whatever food source they want.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

IMO, that is right!
    I would say that people who claim to be in a deficit, but are not losing do not need to eat back any estimated calories. PERIOD!

IMO, so is that!

Eat back some of your calories. If you lose weight as expected, you got it! If you don't, you're eating too much.

When I started, I ate back my calories. Didn't lose weight. So I didn't eat back any of them. Lost 3 lbs. one week. More than I felt was comfortable. I'm still experimenting with it. But no weight loss means no calorie deficit.

Dunno. I don't claim to have it all figured out. But I think the scale ultimately tells me if I'm in a deficit or not.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This was a good read.
    THANK YOU!

In her position, I would forget about any estimates and guesstimates and get to the root of the issue. Get her RMR tested and work from there. A professional could advise what % (if any) to eat back. There is plenty of time to figure that out over time. I had my RMR tested and the clinician that I saw, only suggested I bump that figure (2300) up by 20% to 2700. Thats an increase of 400 calories. In real life I do cardio at least 3 days a week and can burn from 600-900 per day. I do additional cardio on weight training days for another 400 calories per day. Thats a helluva lot more than 400 calories.

I don't disagree about getting tested, but not everyone is in the position where they can. I can't.
    It still going to be pointless to have a number goal if you are underestimating what you are eating.

I would say that people who claim to be in a deficit, but are not losing do not need to eat back any estimated calories. PERIOD! People here are so obsessed about eating back calories that they way overstimate their activity and underestimate their intake. There is plenty of time for everyone to eat. Chill out and worry about losing some weight first until you find your own sweet spot. And the Twinkie is a great look because it dovetails into the "a calorie is just a calorie" concept that is often misrepresented misunderstood.

Again I don't disagree with this, I just see a different way to approach it. If you are not losing weight you are either underestimating food, overestimating exercise or both. Its a simple fix. You could start not eating back exercise calories, or take a look at your numbers and adjust.
    Plus, not everyone has this problem, which is why I was addressing the blanket statement of not eating back exercise calories.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

IMO, that is right!
    I would say that people who claim to be in a deficit, but are not losing do not need to eat back any estimated calories. PERIOD!

IMO, so is that!

Eat back some of your calories. If you lose weight as expected, you got it! If you don't, you're eating too much.

When I started, I ate back my calories. Didn't lose weight. So I didn't eat back any of them. Lost 3 lbs. one week. More than I felt was comfortable. I'm still experimenting with it. But no weight loss means no calorie deficit.

Dunno. I don't claim to have it all figured out. But I think the scale ultimately tells me if I'm in a deficit or not.

Yes and you did it correctly. If she were losing then she could play around with adding back exercise in increments on her own. But why the heck would anyone advise someone to eat more if they are not losing in a deficit? The logic that some people have with this eating more kick is just plain bad. And it started right up with the first few posts. Shakes head. Get in a deficit, lose your weight, get the hell out of deficit, and then maintain with diet and exercise.
  • elleloch
    Options
    So if you're not losing weight by eating a small amount of calories, you should continue to just do what you're doing.

Or, what? Eat LESS??