How much do you share with a SO?

Options
ShibaEars
ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
I've been seeing a new guy for a couple months & things are going really well. I was talking with a friend, and she keeps asking me questions about things like did I snoop in his medicine cabinet (answer is no & I don't plan to) and if we've had the "talk" about past relationships.

But the thing is, I'm not concerned about his past relationships. Sure if there's something in his history that I need to know about for health reasons, or if there's something he wants to share that's fine. But she's making it seem like I'm the weird one for not interrogating him about his past.

How much did you share with your SO? How much would you expect them to share with you? Am I weird for not caring how many people he's been with?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I like a LOT of disclosure in relationships. Maybe not 100% but darn close. I think it should unfold naturally though. I am not into pushing people to tell me more and I'd feel weird if someone was asking more than I felt comfortable with at that time. I dunno. I guess this is pretty vague...sorry!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    No, that's pretty normal. Some care, some don't.
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    No, you're not weird....well at least not for this.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I like a LOT of disclosure in relationships. Maybe not 100% but darn close. I think it should unfold naturally though. I am not into pushing people to tell me more and I'd feel weird if someone was asking more than I felt comfortable with at that time. I dunno. I guess this is pretty vague...sorry!

This..our past has kind of come out slowly and naturally. We'll be talking about something that my trigger a memory for he or I and a story gets told about it. I'm not concerned about the women he's been with and he's not concerned about the men I've been with.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're weird, so am I. At least in the beginning of a relationship, a lot of that stuff isn't any of your business. If he chooses to share, that's fine but you're not obligated to know just because you're dating. I do agree however that if you plan on sleeping with him, it would be good to know something about his sexual past but still be careful and use protection because who knows if he'll be 100% honest.

Once you get serious, then it's time for the more serious conversations. But still, I focus more on the future and don't worry to much about the past. I'm kind of a jealous person so hearing about exes isn't my favorite - I know they exist, I just don't care to hear about them. And my mindset tends to be that if I don't want to know, maybe he doesn't either. If he asks questions, I'll answer honestly but I don't usually share random stories.
  • johnsonb0921
    johnsonb0921 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think it's weird that your friend would want to interrogate someone and snoop through their personal belongings after only knowing them for 2 months? Never mind the fact that it's inappropriate to snoop through someone's personal effects anyway, regardless of amount of time dated.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a new guy for a couple months & things are going really well. I was talking with a friend, and she keeps asking me questions about things like did I snoop in his medicine cabinet (answer is no & I don't plan to) and if we've had the "talk" about past relationships.

A guy I dated a long time ago went through my medicine cabinet. I value my privacy, and that relationship ended soon after. I will answer any question posed to me, but I don't like snooping behind my back or going through my things. Why start off with an attitude of distrust, suspicion, and disrespect?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't ever snoop on my bf. It's a sure sign of distrust to even want to do it.

Leave your friend's insecurities to her. You're fine.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    you're fine! I think if it starts getting serious and there are issues you are currently dealing with from the past then you need to disclose it to each other, and the sooner the better - but as far as past girlfriends and such, who cares?
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Literally everything. We know everything about each other, and I prefer it this way. He knows all about my past relationships. He'd never been in one when he met me. I don't like secrets.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

A guy I dated a long time ago went through my medicine cabinet. I value my privacy, and that relationship ended soon after. I will answer any question posed to me, but I don't like snooping behind my back or going through my things. Why start off with an attitude of distrust, suspicion, and disrespect?

Nice reply. I haven't had that happen but the men I've dated have always respected my privacy and I've respected theirs. I don't have anything to hide and hopefully they didn't either. Trust. :)
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    We share everything. Toilet paper, toothbrush, even q-tips!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I think it's weird that your friend would want to interrogate someone and snoop through their personal belongings after only knowing them for 2 months? Never mind the fact that it's inappropriate to snoop through someone's personal effects anyway, regardless of amount of time dated.

Ya, she googled things if she didn't what they were. :noway: They're married now, but I didn't know she had done this until recently. It seemed a tad crazy to me.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    and that's the way it SHOULD be.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I answer any questions they may have and if I feel like I should tell them something, I do. I don't keep secrets.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    and that's the way it SHOULD be.
    That's true love!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've been with my husband 12 years. He has no secrets from me.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    We're pretty open. I always know where he's at and what he's up to. Who he's playing Words With Friends with, and how often he calls his mother. I happen to have a GPS tracker on my BF's car and his cell is bugged. I also keep a picnic basket outside my BF's bedroom window in case I get hungry. You should really consider it. It's a huge lifesaver for those long nights.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Depends on how comfortable you are with him! I have no secrets from my hubby and i am sure he has none from me(at least 99%) But we never forced it out of each other. We just comfortably told each other everything over the period of time.
    I am not ashamed of my past, so i opened up about it to him and vice versa!