Attn: Runners Question about chaffing

Options
I am new to running and training for a half marathon on March 9th. I am having issues with my arms chaffing. I am sure if I wore shirts with sleeves it would help but I prefer to run and work out in a tank top. Those of you that run what do you do to prevent this?

Replies

• runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide

This. Deodorant helps too. Vaseline works but it leaves marks on clothes...Bodyguide doesn't.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide

Absolutely!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This sounds like it could be an armswing issue...

From NYRR.org:

Guidelines:
    1.Swing the opposite arms and legs in sync while running.
    2.Pump the arms forward and backward in line with the direction of movement. The arms should not swing across the body and the elbows should point backwards, not outwards.
    3.Swing the arms from the shoulders, not the elbows. Keep the elbows bent and focus on driving them backward.
    4.Hold the elbows at about a 90-degree angle. Allow the elbow angle to fluctuate slightly during the arm swing, but don't stray too far from 90 degrees (70 to 120 degrees is a good range.)
    5.Have the hands pass the body at about hip height. Avoid holding the arms so high that they pass above the waist or so low that they pass below the hips.
    6.Swing the arms powerfully through a full range of motion. Distance runners' hands should move from their hip or a bit further back to their chest. When sprinting or running uphill, the hands should move from the back pocket, or a bit further back to the chin.
    7.Keep the shoulders and hands relaxed. The shoulders should be down, not tight, and the hands should be relaxed but stable, not clenched in a fist, hyper-extended, or flopping around.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide, yes, but it could also be the top. Look for a top with minimal seams and smooth fabric. Even better is a form-fitting top. You might try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Oiselle-Running-Womens-Heather-Charcoal/dp/B00AA6AM3E/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1392318484&sr=1-5&keywords=women's+running+tank+top
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    This sounds like it could be an armswing issue...

From NYRR.org:

Guidelines:
    1.Swing the opposite arms and legs in sync while running.
    2.Pump the arms forward and backward in line with the direction of movement. The arms should not swing across the body and the elbows should point backwards, not outwards.
    3.Swing the arms from the shoulders, not the elbows. Keep the elbows bent and focus on driving them backward.
    4.Hold the elbows at about a 90-degree angle. Allow the elbow angle to fluctuate slightly during the arm swing, but don't stray too far from 90 degrees (70 to 120 degrees is a good range.)
    5.Have the hands pass the body at about hip height. Avoid holding the arms so high that they pass above the waist or so low that they pass below the hips.
    6.Swing the arms powerfully through a full range of motion. Distance runners' hands should move from their hip or a bit further back to their chest. When sprinting or running uphill, the hands should move from the back pocket, or a bit further back to the chin.
    7.Keep the shoulders and hands relaxed. The shoulders should be down, not tight, and the hands should be relaxed but stable, not clenched in a fist, hyper-extended, or flopping around.

No I have a running coach and she said my form is perfect so not an arm swinging issue. She told me to ask around about products to help with this because it is an issue she has never personally dealt with. She also suggested sleeves but again I prefer to run/workout with out a shirt with sleeves. I have worked hard to have awesome looking arms I want to show them off. Not to mention I sweat so bad I look like I got out of a shower so I prefer not to cover up anymore than I have to.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I use Trislide, a spray, which I like better than the deodorant stick style. You can also easily spray it on your toes and feet too, if you tend to get hotspots while you run.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    For those of you that use body glide do you use the stick or the Liquified powder that comes in a tube?
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide

Yes! I noticed a few months ago that there is now a Women's bodyglide. It's pink, scented and if I remember correctly contained less glide per package at greater cost. Stick with the standard.