Losing, but only in some areas

Options
Does anyone else notice they're losing in one place but not the other? I first noticed it in my face...then my neck and shoulders....now my chest and upper part of tummy a little bit. I lost in my legs in the beginning, but they don't seem to slim down any more.l. And my lower stomach doesn't really seem to lose much at all. Just wondering if others lose in some places for a while, then switch and lose in others?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yes...that is pretty much what I have experienced in losing weight. I'll notice myself losing from a certain area "all of a sudden" and then that area stays the same and I start losing weight elsewhere. For me, this explains my jean size staying the same for quite awhile and then suddenly changing but my shirts fit the same. A few months later, the opposite happens.

One thing I've liked about this though is that while my face changed the most initially (especially while going from my HW 307 to my MFP start weight of 262) it hasn't changed too drastically in the last 40ish lb and for me that was a big relief because when I went from about 262 to 240 my face changed a lot, I started looking older and got a bit of turkey neck happening. So I am happy right now around 195 I have not seen further changes in my face ;-)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Deposition of body fat is genetically controlled. You cannot spot reduce body fat.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Same thing has been happening to me! The one spot I WISH would shrink some (my arms) hasn't changed, of course, lol.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Yes, and for me the first place was my feet. I've dropped 1/2 a shoe size! Now more hips and waist and of course, I really want my arms to catch up on this weight loss thing (so much flab and fat still on those even though my bit of strength training is showing some definition).

It happens. Just keep up the good work, keep doing what you need to in order to tone the muscles (so strength training more than cardio for definition but cardio for overall health) and the areas that need to lose will catch up to the areas that have lost. :-)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options
    As stated by others, this is completely normal. Where fat goes on and comes off cannot be controlled by you. Stay in a deficit and it will come off even in the places it isn't right now.
  • MissSethra
    MissSethra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yep, I seem to noticeably lose from the knees down and elbows down first, then bits here and there. Tummy always last, though that's the first place to notice it going on too. Some of it is perception, even a half inch off a calve is more noticeable than a half inch off a tummy.
  • krispinator
    krispinator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I started losing in my arms first, and then my hips and beltline. But right at my belly button stayed the same size for a long time. Ironically, that made me look fatter than I used to be -- my belly was hanging more over my belt after I lost weight. So my pants were several sizes smaller, but my belly remained stubborn.

Fortunately, eventually, even my belly started to decrease.

I think there is a weight loss law that goes something like this: The area where you want to see weight loss most is the area where you will see weight loss last.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a time lapsed video of a woman losing 80 lbs. you could see how she would first list on too, then bottom, top, bottom, top, bottom. She didnt just shrink. I wish I knew how to paste the link. It was really interesting.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a time lapsed video of a woman losing 80 lbs. you could see how she would first list on too, then bottom, top, bottom, top, bottom. She didnt just shrink. I wish I knew how to paste the link. It was really interesting.

Is this what you're talking about? [url] http://jezebel.com/i-cant-stop-looking-at-this-major-weight-loss-gif-1253098937 [/url]
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Think of your body as a swimming pool, with a deep ends and the kiddy pools. The water level is your body fat %
    You lose weight (water level) all over, but you see it first in the areas that are not so deep. What those areas are is different per person.